Hike or raft for pack out?

OP
A
The stream is not very deep but fairly floatable. I envision hopping out a lot to line/drag in the shallows so it may be more efficient to just stay out and keep lining since the wading is pretty easy.

I was guessing at 50 log portages in 9 miles. I zoomed in on satellite images and counted maybe three dozen log obstacles mostly in the upper 2.5 miles.

OP
A
Obviously I like this spot and want to spend my hunt there so I am looking for a way to make it work. I will do it in cool weather by packing on the trail or if I can find another way (assistance). Just trying to figure out a feasible way to go solo if the weather is warm since I have already gone to plans B and C in the past because I don't want to waste meat.

I'm not looking to change anyone's mind. You can keep calling me crazy or the task not feasible. Sometimes I just need to hear it multiple times.

Here is one of the small ones I am wanting to hunt......
IsThatABranch.jpg

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
It sounds to me like you're purposefully trying to make it more complicated/overthinking it. Bone out the elk, pack it out. I've packed out boned out elk from 8 miles in, it sucks, but you can do it.

OP
A
Yes, I agree. Not afraid to spend the money on a pack service. Just have not located one the last several years.

OP
A
It sounds to me like you're purposefully trying to make it more complicated/overthinking it.

Quite possible. Good point. Driven by the fear of possibly losing meat I suppose but maybe I just need to monitor the weather and only do Plan A if it is cooler to lessen my angst.

tdot

WKR
If the majority of the trees in the river are in the first 2.5 miles, then maybe a hybrid approach could make more sense. On day 1 of the hunt pack a raft to that point. Then bring all your meat there and start the float from that point. In an ideal world you could potentially have all the meat back to the truck in 2 days. (1.25 to 1.5 days to pack all meat to drop off point and then 0.5 days or so to float 6.5 miles)

If your unsure of the feasibility of the raft. Test it. Pack in the raft and some heavy duty dry bags. Fill 5 or 6 bags with water to 75lbs and throw them in the raft. Head back to the truck. You'll know pretty quick if it's something you'll risk with meat. I'd also work at getting the bags much lighter, by dividing the meat. It will be far easier to manipulate over logs and in the river, etc.

This idea isnt coming from experience, I just love the idea of doing a float hunt here in BC, but just haven't found the right river system and hunting area. But I've always got my eyes open.

PS. Not saying this idea is doable or not, just suggesting a different way to look at it.

Last edited:

mwebs

WKR
What is your experience with rafting? Small stream/ river boating? How long do you think it will take to portage one log jam (get all the gear out, walk it to the other side of jam, then get boat and do the same) and then times that by 26!? How fast do you think you will be traveling while lining the boat down the stream, faster than if you were walking (Nope)? There is absolutely no way boating it out will be faster than walking it out. Also your going to be picking up that raft and dragging a lot more than just at the 26 log jams by looking at those pictures its barely kayak-able.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Even a hybrid approach will be tough. You say 1-3 miles from spike camp to hunt. Then 2.5 miles of tree covered stream from camp. You could potentially have to carry it 5 miles just to get to a "maybe" floatable part of the stream. I'd start calling packing services 2 weeks ago and trying to line up a packer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes, 7.5 miles to spike and another 1 to 3 to hunt and/or track an elk is ridiculous for a solo hunter in hot weather. I agree but a lot of us have done ridiculous things in our time, I try to limit mine but sometimes they happen.

You are either going to shoot a bull solo 7+ miles back or not. 99% of guys here would not do it because of meat spoilage. You acknowledge the likelihood of that issue but then say "sometimes they happen" which means you are going to do it if you see a bull there. Why put yourself in that position when there is so much other ground you can hunt? This is a ridiculous plan you've described, dozens of portages and all, that will almost certainly lead to wasted meat. There is a reason why nearly everyone here has questioned the plan.

ridgefire

WKR
I would not personally try the rafting packout unless I could sit in the raft. I couldn't imagine trying to guide a loaded raft down the stream where we hunt in Idaho. Packing it on your back sounds alot easier to me.

OP
A
You are either going to shoot a bull solo 7+ miles back or not. 99% of guys here would not do it because of meat spoilage. You acknowledge the likelihood of that issue but then say "sometimes they happen" which means you are going to do it if you see a bull there. Why put yourself in that position when there is so much other ground you can hunt? This is a ridiculous plan you've described, dozens of portages and all, that will almost certainly lead to wasted meat. There is a reason why nearly everyone here has questioned the plan.

Thanks for the reply, but please don’t assume I am going to put myself in that position just because I want to shoot a bull. Note my other post where I again acknowledge the possibility of meat loss and credit that as the reason I have not hunted this spot 3 out of 5 years that I had it as Plan A. Yes, I want to hunt there but I will not shoot an animal there if not 100% confident I can successfully bring it all out. Thus the reason for my post - a lot better to talk out a crazy idea on the inter webs than just try it and fail in the real world.

And yes I said “sometimes they happen”. If I can prevent it I do my best. But as mentioned maybe a single lung shot gives me an elk that travels two miles before I can put my hands on it. If that two miles is away from the truck starting from Plan B and I still end up 5 miles upstream then I would like to know I either figured this out as feasible or not.

Thanks for the reply, but please don’t assume I am going to put myself in that position just because I want to shoot a bull. Note my other post where I again acknowledge the possibility of meat loss and credit that as the reason I have not hunted this spot 3 out of 5 years that I had it as Plan A. Yes, I want to hunt there but I will not shoot an animal there if not 100% confident I can successfully bring it all out. Thus the reason for my post - a lot better to talk out a crazy idea on the inter webs than just try it and fail in the real world.

And yes I said “sometimes they happen”. If I can prevent it I do my best. But as mentioned maybe a single lung shot gives me an elk that travels two miles before I can put my hands on it. If that two miles is away from the truck starting from Plan B and I still end up 5 miles upstream then I would like to know I either figured this out as feasible or not.

You can prevent it. If you shoot at an elk more than five miles away, you’re going to really struggle on packing. You’re clearly already considering pulling the trigger deep based on what you’ve already said. No assumption needed.

OP
A
Thanks for the responses everyone. I know I’m overthinking it but sometimes that is what forum discussions in June are for. The base plan is to not hunt and kill their solo if the weather is even close to too warm unless there is a very solid plan in place to handle things properly. I just like to think of options and knew this would be a good place to get feedback.

I am trying to get horses lined up but it hasn’t come through. I am working my a$$ off to know I can pack by trail as well. But I’m also still thinking......

OP
A
You can prevent it. If you shoot at an elk more than five miles away, you’re going to really struggle on packing. You’re clearly already considering pulling the trigger deep based on what you’ve already said. No assumption needed.

Yes, I am considering shooting an elk deep given the chance and the right conditions. I know the rigors of a pack out and a lot of work. If cooler weather and confidence in keeping the meat cool for two days allows I might even do it. I am just exploring an idea that would cut that short by a whole day if it is feasible. And increase the safety margin if the weather warms more than I expect.
No, you don’t have to assume I would like to kill an elk there on a solo trip. I have said as much. But I have also said I would not do it if worried about the meat. And I have avoided it in the past for that reason. And I have passed animals before for that reason. I am not afraid to prevent it and I know my limitation, but I am willing to try and figure ways to deal with them.

OP
A
If the majority of the trees in the river are in the first 2.5 miles, then maybe a hybrid approach could make more sense. On day 1 of the hunt pack a raft to that point. Then bring all your meat there and start the float from that point. In an ideal world you could potentially have all the meat back to the truck in 2 days. (1.25 to 1.5 days to pack all meat to drop off point and then 0.5 days or so to float 6.5 miles)

If your unsure of the feasibility of the raft. Test it. Pack in the raft and some heavy duty dry bags. Fill 5 or 6 bags with water to 75lbs and throw them in the raft. Head back to the truck. You'll know pretty quick if it's something you'll risk with meat. I'd also work at getting the bags much lighter, by dividing the meat. It will be far easier to manipulate over logs and in the river, etc.

The hybrid approach might be feasible as an in between option, not a bad idea. Also shows that Plans B, C and D (which are not as deep) might also be able to use a float option.
And I agree with the plan of having eight lighter bags of meat rather than four heavies. That definitely makes working around a tree less cumbersome and less likely to drop a bag in the dirt or the stream.

Will_m

WKR
Guys in Alaska float moose down similar situations. Low water would be a bigger problem than a few trees down.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sounds like you should just rent some llamas, unless you're a glutton for punishment

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk