Hike or raft for pack out?

OP
A
The reason I figure the raft would be quicker than the pack is getting 80% of it in one trip. I figure I can wade at 2 mph, drag at 1 mph, float at 3 to 4 mph and lift past a tree in less than ten minutes. Figuring it all averages down to 1 mph travel time, lunch break, breathers, etc. I would think 12 hours would be doable. And one 12 to 14 hour day is less than two 12 hour days of steady hiking.

OP
A
You have 8-12 weeks to do a dry run. Pack your raft in there along with a saw and clear yourself a river trail!

I like this idea! Unfortunately the hunting spot is a solid 30 hour drive from home and I won't have time this summer to get an on site path clearing practice run.

But a saw would be part of the plan if any obstacle could be cut away much easier than packed around.

And a practice run is definitely called for. If this discussion doesn't sink the idea outright then I have already chosen a local waterway where I can float/drag/portage 300# of cargo for several miles to get a real feel for the logistics.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You need to check the regulations in the area you want to try this. If it's in a wilderness area a saw is a definite no go, unless you take a crosscut. BLM and USFS have different regulations regarding what can be cut and what can't. Every time I think of trees across waterways I think of strainers in Alaska. Strain the life right out of you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
A
You need to check the regulations in the area you want to try this. If it's in a wilderness area a saw is a definite no go, unless you take a crosscut. BLM and USFS have different regulations regarding what can be cut and what can't. Every time I think of trees across waterways I think of strainers in Alaska. Strain the life right out of you.

Good point, thanks. Some of the area is inside a wilderness boundary, some not. If any cutting is allowed I would be doing it by hand with a packable crosscut or similar. Most of these trees are just obstacles to forward progress as the water is not really deep or fast enough to float into them like a classic strainer. Plenty of time to see them coming as you drag a raft over the rocks. Ha!
But cutting would not be my preference most of the time. And it may not be allowed at all due o the habitat component of the trees in the stream.

Will_m

WKR

I've always wondered why so many people carry axes rather than a large bow saw (which I'm assuming qualifies a crosscut). Any reason in particular?

njdoxie

WKR
It sounds to me like you're purposefully trying to make it more complicated/overthinking it. Bone out the elk, pack it out. I've packed out boned out elk from 8 miles in, it sucks, but you can do it.
Not everyone can make multiple 16 mile round trips, in fact few can, no idea if the OP can......but if the OP has never packed heavy weight for long distances, he might be surprised how painful it can be, and in all likelihood won't be able to complete it.

MTtrout

WKR
Do you know how the water levels compare to when you will be hunting to the time you took those photos? Those steams can get real bony in September. I don’t know your experience with pack rafts or rowing in general but something worth a serious consideration. Good luck and hope your adventure goes as you plan

I was gonna say that a raft full of non-paddling passengers has a lot of inertia and could be tough to stop (a safety issue with strainers). Then I saw the pictures of that creek....

I'm not confident you could get a soft sided raft full of dead meat to float in that shallow creek. I bet there would be a lot of dragging and air leaks. I've dragged a loaded canoe down similar creeks and would rather carry the boat down a trail on my shoulders.

+1 for livestock or call a friend.

I'm texting the horse packer my GPS #s and heading home with all my gear, meat, antlers wearing a shit eating grin.