Hiker lost on Colorado mountain for more than 24 hours ignored calls from rescuers because they 'didn't want to pick up an unknown number'

I get enough “unknown callers” that are actually legit to where if I am ever lost, I am dang well going to answer the phone.

Trial153

WKR
I don’t care if I am lost in the wilderness. I am
Still no risking talking to anyone about truck warranty that expired 5 years ago

AZ8

WKR
Hiker was an idiot. Even if you don’t want to answer unknown numbers at least call someone and tell them you‘re late and searching for a trail back to the car.

It’s dark, you‘re lost and multiple unknown numbers calling after you should have been back…….should have been a “ lightbulb in your head” moment to maybe answer the phone!

Put down the marijuana!

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
Hiker was an idiot. Even if you don’t want to answer unknown numbers at least call someone and tell them you‘re late and searching for a trail back to the car.

It’s dark, you‘re lost and multiple unknown numbers calling after you should have been back…….should have been a “ lightbulb in your head” moment to maybe answer the phone!

Put down the marijuana!
Exactly! If you're receiving calls, how about making one?

I'm on both sides of the fence here. . . One why the hell did he not make a phone call or pull up a mapping app? Obviously not working with an intelligent hiker.

But for those in SAR why not text, leave a voicemail, etc. And ditto for the worried party. Seems like everyone had some brain farts going on!

99% of people ignore unknown numbers, I'd say only about 20% ignore the voicemail.

I went round and round with my local law enforcement because they always call out on a blocked number. Well the cleaning crew occasionally trips our silent alarm by not leaving the bank soon enough after arming it. So the police send officers over and per the contract must stay there until bank personnel arrives to open the building. . . Well when you call me on a blocked number and don't leave a message your gonna be waiting a while. Or at least until the 3rd call when I start assuming it must not be the warranty folks! After 3 years I finally convinced them to leave a voicemail if they must call out on a blocked number!