Hiking/Backpacking Boots

Bmenx2

FNG
Hello, I’m new to the forum and do a good amount of hiking and
Camping with my wife and son as he is a Cub Scout and working toward his badges and pins at the Webelos level. I’m hoping for advice regarding hiking or backpacking boots. I’m a big guy (6’ 275#) and need support as the hiking areas in NNJ are very rocky with tree roots, etc. they are also very wet at times. Also I’m a size 13 shoe with flat feet. Any ideas or advice would be great. Thank you for having me and I look forward to contributing.

OP
B

Bmenx2

FNG
Just following up and hoping for some responses.
Thank you

GKWMontana

Lil-Rokslider
I like Lowa boots, but everyone has a preference.....Crispi, Schemes, Kennetrek, and many more. Lots of quality but different fit and feel. I wear a size 13 Tibet GTX and really like them.

Hello, I’m new to the forum and do a good amount of hiking and
Camping with my wife and son as he is a Cub Scout and working toward his badges and pins at the Webelos level. I’m hoping for advice regarding hiking or backpacking boots. I’m a big guy (6’ 275#) and need support as the hiking areas in NNJ are very rocky with tree roots, etc. they are also very wet at times. Also I’m a size 13 shoe with flat feet. Any ideas or advice would be great. Thank you for having me and I look forward to contributing.

I am 6’1 and 275. Also live in NJ. I am a measured 12ee but my boots at 13 wide Meindl Denali’s from Cabelas. I started off with Keens and loved them until I started trading with a pack over 40 pounds and it didn’t have enough support and I developed a mild case of Plantar Facitis.

My ortho turned out to be a big backpacker and did a lot when he lived in Colorado. He told me to get a stiffer soled boot. I started with Lowa Camino’s which are probably the best built boots I have ever seen but once they started to break in I got pressure on the top of my foot. I was able to give them to my son and they fit him great. I then tried Salomon 4D GTX’s and wore them for a year. They were good but not great. If they made them in a wide I suspect they would have fit great. I then got to try the Meindls at the Cabelas in Delaware and they were great.

Cabelas doesn’t work with them anymore but you can get them from Meindlusa.com in Nebraska. They are called Vakum’s.

Good luck with your search. Unfortunately everyone’s feet are different and what works great for me may be horrible for you. It’s a trial and error process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bmenx2

FNG
I like Lowa boots, but everyone has a preference.....Crispi, Schemes, Kennetrek, and many more. Lots of quality but different fit and feel. I wear a size 13 Tibet GTX and really like them.
Hello, thank you for your response. I've tried Lowa's in the past and they were good. I've never had Crispi, Schemes or Kennetrek and will look into those as well as the Tibet. As far as quality goes, I've had the soles delaminate of 2 aid of timberlands, and a pair of Merrell's and a pair of Danner's. I'm looking at stitch down and glued sole models based on my previous experience.

OP
B

Bmenx2

FNG
I am 6’1 and 275. Also live in NJ. I am a measured 12ee but my boots at 13 wide Meindl Denali’s from Cabelas. I started off with Keens and loved them until I started trading with a pack over 40 pounds and it didn’t have enough support and I developed a mild case of Plantar Facitis.

My ortho turned out to be a big backpacker and did a lot when he lived in Colorado. He told me to get a stiffer soled boot. I started with Lowa Camino’s which are probably the best built boots I have ever seen but once they started to break in I got pressure on the top of my foot. I was able to give them to my son and they fit him great. I then tried Salomon 4D GTX’s and wore them for a year. They were good but not great. If they made them in a wide I suspect they would have fit great. I then got to try the Meindls at the Cabelas in Delaware and they were great.

Cabelas doesn’t work with them anymore but you can get them from Meindlusa.com in Nebraska. They are called Vakum’s.

Good luck with your search. Unfortunately everyone’s feet are different and what works great for me may be horrible for you. It’s a trial and error process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for your response. I've also had plantar facitis in the past - not a lot of fun. What i'm running into with shoes like Danner and Solomon's are that I can get my heel locked in pretty well, but then as you referred to the in the Solomons, it is snug in the forefoot. The Danner's are great as I have the Mountain lights, but they do run a bit narrow in the toe box as well. I'll have to add Meindl's to the list - Thank you!

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
I like Lowa boots, quality boots and fit my feet well. I've owned Crispi, Solomon and tried on Zamberlien, Meidle. All seemed like quality boots, but finding boots that fit is the most important factor.

OP
B

Bmenx2

FNG
I like Lowa boots, quality boots and fit my feet well. I've owned Crispi, Solomon and tried on Zamberlien, Meidle. All seemed like quality boots, but finding boots that fit is the most important factor.
Agreed 100%. the is what is disappointing regarding the Danner's. There D or standard width fits more like a narrow width when compared to the European shoes.
Thank you

Rokwiia

WKR
I'm not sure I agree with the OP's premise. I've backpacked for decades and never needed boots. Trail runners are all I've ever used -- until last year when I had two encounters with Timber Rattlers. Now I wear several Schnee boots which are the best ever.

If you're not in snake territory, I would reconsider why you want "boots". That said, if boots are what you want, I would look at Schnee. Their boots are exquisitely made, comfortable, and would give you all the support you desire.

https://schnees.com/schnees/mountain-boots/

OP
B

Bmenx2

FNG
I'm not sure I agree with the OP's premise. I've backpacked for decades and never needed boots. Trail runners are all I've ever used -- until last year when I had two encounters with Timber Rattlers. Now I wear several Schnee boots which are the best ever.

If you're not in snake territory, I would reconsider why you want "boots". That said, if boots are what you want, I would look at Schnee. Their boots are exquisitely made, comfortable, and would give you all the support you desire.

https://schnees.com/schnees/mountain-boots/
Hi, thank you for the reply. I wear boots as I broke my ankle years ago and feel I need the support. I've tried trail runners and hiking shoes and have turned an ankle in the past when wearing them. I think the boots make me feel more secure - a mental thing.

OP
B

Bmenx2

FNG
Hello, I've actually been looking at the Hanwag Tatra II GTX and Salewa Mountain Hiker GTX. Any feedback or comments regarding those boots?

Also, I noticed a member selling Alico Summit boots, they seem like a nice well made boot as well - norwegian welt, vibrato sole, leather lining, etc. Does anyone have experience with those?