Hiking Boot Frustration

FLAK

WKR
Sending back my 3rd pair of Hikers tomorrow. They are Salomons X3's or something like that in a "Wide".
They are more like an xtra narrow if you ask me, can barely get my foot in them. The others I sent back
were a reg. width Salomon 4d, could not get my foot into the shoe. My foot is actually not all that wide. I don't wear a wide in every shoe, just some. The first pair I returned were Merrell Moabs that leaked like a fishing net.
They fit great however. I have a pair of low cut Moabs (reg.width) I wear daily.
So, I'm thinking about trying the Lowa Renegade GTX in a Wide. Anybody have experience with these as far as size?
Or any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

RCB

WKR
Not sure about Lowa Renegades, but I have a pair of Lowa Caminos in wide and they still are a bit on the narrow side - and I do not have wide feet. For reference, I also have a pair of Moabs and they fit fine. So it’s possible that Lowa runs narrow?
I bought mine at REI, which also carried the Renegades at the time, so if you have an REI nearby you might be able to try them on.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know who is designing the lasts for these boot companies.

And it's not as simple as going to wides at least for me then I usually find heal slip in those because I don't want extra width in the back of the boot just the toe box.

Trail shoes and running shoes are finally catching on and building proper shaped shoes maybe some boot companies will follow suite.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
F

FLAK

WKR
The first paid I returned were Merrells , just not the Moabs no that I think about
it. The Moab low cuts I have fit great so I may just get the Moab GTX's mid cuts.

Mike7

WKR
I have a 4E wide foot on the new balance/dunham sizing scale, and wide Lowas that I have tried are for me more narrow than Salomon 4d's, which required me to stretch them some. Asolo Powermatics are comfortable and have a wide, decent volume forefoot.

RCB

WKR
The first paid I returned were Merrells , just not the Moabs no that I think about
it. The Moab low cuts I have fit great so I may just get the Moab GTX's mid cuts.
I have the Moab mid cuts. Won't last forever but they're fairly cheap. IMO they are a bit on the low side, which means I get snow in them in the winter and thorns and stickers in my socks in the summer if I go off trail. Should probably buy a pair of gaiters.

OP
F

FLAK

WKR
I have a 4E wide foot on the new balance/dunham sizing scale, and wide Lowas that I have tried are for me more narrow than Salomon 4d's, which required me to stretch them some. Asolo Powermatics are comfortable and have a wide, decent volume forefoot.

Guess I'll pass on the Lowas then.
Thanks for the info.

OP
F

FLAK

WKR
I have the Moab mid cuts. Won't last forever but they're fairly cheap. IMO they are a bit on the low side, which means I get snow in them in the winter and thorns and stickers in my socks in the summer if I go off trail. Should probably buy a pair of gaiters.

How are the Mid cuts on waterproofing?

Car7x

WKR
I ordinarily love Merrills and have lots of their street wear. Just did not have the feature set I was looking for in 1 shoe. I've done a lot of climbing and hunting and am feeling the years of self abuse in my feet, which are ordinary width - I take a wide when I can find them. High arch, narrow heel, lots of sore bumps at the toe / foot joint, both sides of both feet.
I've bought and sold or given away Aku, Solomon, Scarpa, Crispi in the last year. My Cabelas goretex pheasant boots - free pair when the first started leaking after about 6 years - are fine for the high shaft, but I wanted a mid hiker with good waterproofing, and edging capabilities.

Aside - in MN I need a warm late season boot. Cheapest boot I've ever bought are my 'Bone Collector' insulated. Like 60 bucks and they are crazy light, supportive and comfy. Go figure!

Finally for my more technical mountain travel I got a pair of Lowa Irocs mid GTX; these aren't one of the widely referenced hunting models but they are great-

https://www.zappos.com/p/lowa-irox-...1&utm_term=pla-369070689745&utm_source=google

Mine weren't that cheap, but almost.

Been impressed with Lowas before and was holding out for some zephyrs. These Irocs were under my radar, and have about 10 miles of breakin now - and needed 5 for sure, they are not ready out of the box. They are absolutely waterproof, very light, ample toe box, great lacing setup, a tidy 'footprint' for technical moves, and no heel lift. At 112 bucks, they are a steal.

Re: lacing - I've had to bail on otherwise worthy boots due to the lockdown lace being fabric. I was scared of field or premature breakage. I'll only buy boots that have a hard anchor at the ankle break now. Good luck; probably the most expensive and frustrating part of the kit assembly ritual!

Last edited:
Just got a pair of lowa renegade gtx's in the mail yesterday. Spent about 12 hours in them so far and like them, they are not a stiff boot though. I wear a 10.5 wide in most boots and i ordered a 10.5 regular in the lowas. They fit almost identical to my meindl alaskan hunters in 10.5 wide.

I ordered them from mountainsteals.com and they were 119 and free shipping.

OP
F

FLAK

WKR
Just got a pair of lowa renegade gtx's in the mail yesterday. Spent about 12 hours in them so far and like them, they are not a stiff boot though. I wear a 10.5 wide in most boots and i ordered a 10.5 regular in the lowas. They fit almost identical to my meindl alaskan hunters in 10.5 wide.

I ordered them from mountainsteals.com and they were 119 and free shipping.

May have to try them after all.

notchfir3

Lil-Rokslider
My Lowa's are incredible boots.

They're not cheap, but boots are NOT something to skimp on. I paid just under $300 for mine.

The best hiking boots aren't made of leather.