Hiking Boot Recommendations

Looking for a good pair of hiking boots. I have a pair of Salomon's, I really liked my first pair. This pair not so much. I'm looking to upgrade to something stiffer. Crispi Crossover, Salewa MTN Trainer Lite and Lowa Renegade or Zephyr. Any input would be helpful, thanks!

I really like Salomon's on the trail but once you get off and side hill they don't offer much support. For that reason I went with the Crispi Guides and I have loved them. If I were getting another pair that weren't a tall boot I'd like to try the Colorado's or Wyomings.

OP
B
I really like Salomon's on the trail but once you get off and side hill they don't offer much support. For that reason I went with the Crispi Guides and I have loved them. If I were getting another pair that weren't a tall boot I'd like to try the Colorado's or Wyomings.
The Salomon's really shine on the trail, but rub my feet in a couple of places and aren't as supportive as I'd like for packing heavier loads. I live in Missouri, so it's basically flat here. The main place I hike has a whooping 100 feet in elevation change I think lol. Just needing a stiffer pair for heavier loads in my pack. I'll keep the boots you mentioned in mind when I look for a pair for hunting.

Oh gotcha. I am definitely not a boot expert, and I am sure there are a lot of good boots out there for what you need. From the research I have done, the Crispi Wyoming’s and Colorado’s would be good ones to look into. They have a polyurethane midsole instead of an EVA midsole which are better for heavy loads and durability. Best of luck!

TBHasler

WKR
I think the Crispy Crossover is a good direction for a little more stiffness for packing and hiking but I don't like mine for a lot of side-hilling or technical/Rocky terrain. When I go hiking/camping, they're perfect. When I go hunting with camp on my back and need to be prepared to haul some weight (75+), they are not stiff enough or as tall as I like. Everyone's a bit different, but mine were comfy right out of the box, cheaper than many other alternates and hit the "tweener" type of boot I was looking for.
Good luck with your search

OP
B
I think the Crispy Crossover is a good direction for a little more stiffness for packing and hiking but I don't like mine for a lot of side-hilling or technical/Rocky terrain. When I go hiking/camping, they're perfect. When I go hunting with camp on my back and need to be prepared to haul some weight (75+), they are not stiff enough or as tall as I like. Everyone's a bit different, but mine were comfy right out of the box, cheaper than many other alternates and hit the "tweener" type of boot I was looking for.
Good luck with your search
I think you're the first person I've seen that have the Crossovers. There are almost no reviews online of them, and of coarse, I can't find them locally. There's an REI about an hour away that has maybe 2 options worth looking at for me. I may have to make the drive. Everywhere just has the run of the mill Keen, Salomons etc.

TBHasler

WKR
Yeh, I couldn't find much in review either. But, this is my 3rd pair of Crispi and I'm a big fan. Didn't feel like a big risk to try them out. I don't regret it and mine have held up great so far.

Not the model you specified, but similar. My last pair of boots were Lowa Caminos, and I was a huge fan of them. The roller bearings on the lacing system makes it really easy to keep even pressure on your feet and to get the laces tight. I bought the wide version and still thought they were kind of narrow. I used them for two years and I could probably get another year out of them.

I have Crispi Colorados this year. I have about 30 miles on them with 60-80 lbs (all training on flat ground with 10-15 times up/down a hill per session). The lacing system isn't as good, but the boots are roomier and well made. I think the Lowas were a lot more stable due to the lacing. I'm going to AK for moose in a week, so they'll get a real test, but at this point I'd pick the Lowas.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Crossovers and the Nevada's, and they are both great.

Nevads- Side hilling, colder weather, wetter weather, heavy pack
Crossover- Dry, warm weather, trails, easier terrain

The crossovers are narrower than the Nevadas, so I went a half size up and was glad I did.

I’m a Lowa fan boy, but I would not recommend the Renegades. I have 2 pair and they are the least comfortable boots I own. The Lowa Zephyrs are amazing. I’ve worn them for about 8 yrs. For a lighter trail/hiking boot, nothing beats them for me personally. For a stiffer, but still amazing boot, the Lowa Camino GTX is a good one. I’ve had good luck with them in some pretty brutal terrain with way too much weight on my back at the time.
Im just now getting into Crispi and I have not spent enough time in them to give an informed opinion on them.

OP
B
Thanks for the replys guys! REI has a couple of the pairs mentioned including a couple pairs of Asolo and the Scheels next door carries Crispi.

OP
B
Made the trek to REI and Scheel's today. Tried on several pairs of boots. At the bottom of the list were Zamberlin's and Lowa's. My heel didn't feel locked in and they didn't tighten around my ankles like I would like. At the top are a Pair of Asolo's and Crispi's. Both were very comfortable, the heel locked in and my ankles felt very protected. Found a place that has Salewa's but I will have to go there another time.

Mosby

WKR
I have a pair of Asolo's that I like a lot. I use them as my primary training boot. They have really held up well.

If you are not climbing I do not have a recommendation. However if you are going vertical the name of the game is the soles. When I used to climb like a Billy goat I found that Vibram soles were far superior to anything else. You get 1/4 inch of your foot on something and you can stand on it and finish the step up. Very strong support, very grippy and even have engineered brakes to keep from slipping backwards. I trusted my life to them more than once. Worth looking in to.

SporCj

FNG
I also had a pair of Solomon's, but my impressions were different. While hiking, you know that there could be dangerous obstacles, and the idea of the boots is that they protect you. Sadly, they did not save me, and I broke my ankle in the first expedition. Yes, you can tell that I was a beginner, but they should have protected me anyway. Now I hike in medical boots, like from https://dunbarmedical.com/product-category/braces-and-supports/walking-boot/, and I was never left deceived by them. Sometimes the expensive product isn't worth all the money.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looking for a good pair of hiking boots. I have a pair of Salomon's, I really liked my first pair. This pair not so much. I'm looking to upgrade to something stiffer. Crispi Crossover, Salewa MTN Trainer Lite and Lowa Renegade or Zephyr. Any input would be helpful, thanks!

Right off the bat, I'd recommend checking our Beartooth boots out. They are stiffer than most hiking boots out there, but not overly stiff. I find they are probably our most versatile mountain boots. Bonus, they will be 20% off starting tomorrow... - Matt