Hiking in supplies beforehand

lerman

FNG
How would/have you folks stored food or water you've hiked into an area pre season?

Planning on a hunt in an area where our camp will be some 600-700 feet above water. Its also new to us so we don't know if the water will be there during the season so we're thinking of bringing some supplies in to our camp area next time we scout or otherwise get out there. What's the best methods for storing water and food (non-perishable obviously) for a few months in the wild? Hang it? Just worried about bugs/wildlife getting to it or water containers freezing and bursting.

Apologies if this has been talked to death, I tried searching but the search terms for this subject are broad and didn't produce many relevant results.

Leaving food is just asking for issues. As for water, pack in bottled water, bury it and pray it remains there. Many animals can smell it, even if burried. Leaving anything longer than 15 days is not legal.

OP
L

lerman

FNG
Ok food can be light enough packing it in isn't an issue. Are you suggesting bottled water because it's less likely for the smaller bottles to burst than gallons?

Legalities duly noted.

TheGDog

WKR
I put some blue masking tape on my waters, with my email address written on it. Figure that way is somebody needs to b*tch at me to move something I've packed in, at least I can be responsive. I have extra water at places thats been their greater than a year. Somebody left their tent behind so it turned to waste, so rather than waste it I used it to wrap 2 gals and bury it.

If you wrap it in just a cheap Wally World camo throw blanket, you can wedge it into some rocks. But know that rodents will over time chew into the throw blanket to make nesting material for their burrows.

No, gallon water is fine, but you cannot be sure it will be there when you need it do to rodents, animals, and people.