Hiking or backpacking

marshrat

FNG
I noticed on the REI website that they divide up their boots into various styles, but I was trying to figure out whether I should be looking at hiking or backpacking? According to their website, the backpacking boots are better for longer trips and heavier loads. They have a pretty good looking selection to me, but the backpacking boots look far more durable. I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

Again, I have no place near me with a good selection of boots to try on, so keep that in mind. I will be ordering through REI since it has been pointed out that they have a satisfaction guarantee in case they are just not working out. That is really my only option as I have a BPS an hour and a half away with a crap selection.

Anyway, backpacking or hiking for CO archery elk?

Curtis C

WKR
If you are shopping REI dont pay much attention to the names they use like "hiking boot". Heres an example http://www.rei.com/product/733624/asolo-power-matic-200-gv-gore-tex-hiking-boots-mens . They have it labelled a hiking boot. What you need to do is click on Specs and the top column shows "Best Use". Find a boot that list "backpacking" as Best Use, such as the one in the example or the boot in your link. Those will offer the most support especially when you are hauling a heavy load. Most times they will also be more durable.

No matter what boots you buy you need to consider an insole better than the what comes with the boot. Superfeet, Sole and many other options out there. Some will take more space in the boot than others so keep that in mind when fitting. This will make the biggest difference(IMO) in how comfortable your feet are during the hunt.

C

luke moffat

Super Moderator
It really depends on what kind of hunting you plan on doing. If for deer and what not a backpacking boot might be adquate. However, if mnt. goats or sheep are in your future then look into the "mountaineering" style boots they have listed.

OP
M

marshrat

FNG
This will primarily be for general mountain hunting. It will be elk this season and hopefully in the future include mule deer, bear, etc. Don't really know what kind of load I should carry or anything like that, but I'm assuming it will be a heavy load, at least that is what I'm preparing for.

marshrat,

I would "assume" that their hiking boots are just meant for walking on regular to rough terrain and for that reason they would not be what you would want for mountain hunting since you will be carrying some kind of pack over rough terrain and also will need them to support your feet and ankles if you have to carry out 50-100+ pounds of game animal in one or more trips. I would think that as a minimum you would want the backpacking boots which would be designed for carrying heavier loads or the mountaineering boots for the reasons mentioned above. Good input on the insoles and fitting too.

Larry

I'm beginning to think that the labels they put on these shoes/boots are more smoke than anything. I have used both backpacking and hiking shoes for the last umpteen years and honestly can't tell a difference between the two.
Personally, I would find something that fits your criteria, ie. height, waterproof etc., and make sure it fits.

bowinhand

WKR
If you don't have anywhere near you that you can try em on look at web dealers shoe buy, zappotos, amazon,REI ect and walk on a inclined treadmill a couple miles to get a feel for em and as to not void the return policy as they don't want you to wear the boots outside.