Hiking pack

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
Well guys and girls, it bums me to say that I'm not able to swing the money for a new hunting pack for my first Western trip. I've been researching and ogling over all the nice packs out there, but it's just not in the cards for me. I'll be going for archery elk. I will have to make due with my 62 liter Gregory hiking pack. I've been training with it and while it won't handle the super heavy loads that a nice hunting pack will; it still is a nice pack.

Anyone else have to make due, or use to run, just a hiking pack? I already know to mess around with the waist belt and load lifter to distribute weight. But is there any other tips/tricks/mods that could help me out if I get the chance to pack out meat? My current plan is to load meat into game bags and put inside the pack it self. then cinch down all the straps.

Thoughts? Any advice is helpful

Thanks

Robert

the alps commander light is only about 5 lb, external frame, will haul the load. It does not have much for pockets but if needed you could attach a fanny pack or something to it.

Have you considered mil surplus? ILBE, FILBE, Molle II, and Alice packs can all be had for under $100. They are all tough as nails and can haul the necessary weight if you get an elk.

If you can keep your gear weight below 45# and get the packs adjusted properly, they are all likely to be relatively comfortable too.

OP
Bobrunner06

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys for the suggestions. Joe, I appreciate the offer, but I just won't be able to make the trip. I also would kinda feel weird about using someones elses gear.

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
If you can simulate a decent weight pack out with your gear and something representing deboned meat (along the lines of 40lbs of sand in a pillow case, nothing that holds a shape) and still be comfortable covering some miles and going up and down flights of stairs then I say go for it. If it were me though id very seriously look at picking up a used pack in the classifieds (kifaru, stone glacier, exo, or mystery ranch) and plan on selling it after the hunt. A used $600 kifaru will still be worth $600 after youve used it for a couple weeks.

Hi I am planning a hunt this year backing packing several miles into the woods and staying for a week in freezer temps what is everyone favorite equipment

Well guys and girls, it bums me to say that I'm not able to swing the money for a new hunting pack for my first Western trip. I've been researching and ogling over all the nice packs out there, but it's just not in the cards for me. I'll be going for archery elk. I will have to make due with my 62 liter Gregory hiking pack. I've been training with it and while it won't handle the super heavy loads that a nice hunting pack will; it still is a nice pack.

Anyone else have to make due, or use to run, just a hiking pack? I already know to mess around with the waist belt and load lifter to distribute weight. But is there any other tips/tricks/mods that could help me out if I get the chance to pack out meat? My current plan is to load meat into game bags and put inside the pack it self. then cinch down all the straps.

Thoughts? Any advice is helpful

Thanks

Robert
Been down this road myself. Sounds like you’ve been out in the woods with a pack already so you pretty much know what’s up with packing. Your pack will do just fine. The only thing I would recommend is bringing some contractor bags to line your pack. Keeps everything dry and when you knock something down, keeps the blood contained. Hunting specific packs are great and I now have one( ok two!!) but I hunted years without them. Just get out there and have fun!! Best of luck!!!

OP
Bobrunner06

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
Been down this road myself. Sounds like you’ve been out in the woods with a pack already so you pretty much know what’s up with packing. Your pack will do just fine. The only thing I would recommend is bringing some contractor bags to line your pack. Keeps everything dry and when you knock something down, keeps the blood contained. Hunting specific packs are great and I now have one( ok two!!) but I hunted years without them. Just get out there and have fun!! Best of luck!!!

Thanks for writing back. I'm glad to see this change in the hunting community by people just encouraging people to go verses telling they NEED to by X gear.

Superdoo

WKR
the alps commander light is only about 5 lb, external frame, will haul the load. It does not have much for pockets but if needed you could attach a fanny pack or something to it.
I'll piggy back on this idea and say grab a used one online and sell it once you're able to save up for something better. You can also find some good deals on used Mystery Ranch stuff right now as they came out with the new frame and folks are upgrading.

Getting a loner from someone is a great idea too!

Using what you got works too, you'll probably just have to make more trips.

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
i really like this forum but you dont need top of the line everything to go hunting, yes its nice to have nice things but if you cant afford it make due with what you have. My father in law hunted everything from stone sheep to white tale with a Trapper Nelson and a garbage bag lashed to it. Go hunting with what you have and what you can afford and upgrade as you go.