Hiking thru private land on a marked trail to get to more public

Goafterit

FNG
I was archery hunting elk this past year (Colorado) and wanted to walk on this trail (marked) to get to more public but it went across private. I didn't attempt it because I wasn't going to risk looking like a dickhead if it is not legal or frowned on. I wouldn't be leaving the trail to hunt. Just walking across it.
If it is illegal, how can I get in touch with the landowner to gain permission?

A lot of these scenarios come up across the western states and from what I have gathered it can vary by state and area. My advice would be to get in contact with the nearest wildlife office and get a number for a guy that has boots on the ground experience in that particular area. There’s usually one old guy at every office that seems to know every rock and stump in the country and he is usually a little grumpy but a wealth of knowledge. I was about to take a death hike last year until I made another call to my old grumpy friend and he told me about a two track across private I didn’t think I could cross that just ended inside forest so saved me a heck of a climb.

CorbLand

WKR
Contact the department that manages the land. Some private land have easements allowing for public to utilize trails.