Hiking/trail/ everyday shoe

rev44

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for a low hiking shoe that can also be worn around as an everyday shoe once in awhile. So many out there and nothing around here to be able to really try any on. Just looking for a few recommendations that I can look in to. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

archp625

WKR
I bought a pair of Salomon XA Pro 3D v8 in June. So far I am happy with them. This is my first pair of trail shoes so it has taken some time to get used to them. I'm using to wearing running shoes and these love to grip the ground better.

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
I just got some Altra Lone Peak 5s. Mostly on the recommendation they are super wide, which they are. Good so far, but I have a feeling the soles are built for guys who are 165, not 200+

OP
R

rev44

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks! I will look in to those. Any try these?
7fd66ced793dd1e9301befb52ba13eb3.jpg
dcae3f018ee358888c7551ddf8622244.jpg

archp625

WKR
Thanks! I will look in to those. Any try these?
7fd66ced793dd1e9301befb52ba13eb3.jpg
dcae3f018ee358888c7551ddf8622244.jpg

I do not think you can go wrong with either. One thing I will point out is one has lace up laces and the other is their pull cord system. The pull cord system strings are interesting at first. They are just stiff with no give like a normal shoe string.

OP
R

rev44

Lil-Rokslider
I do not think you can go wrong with either. One thing I will point out is one has lace up laces and the other is their pull cord system. The pull cord system strings are interesting at first. They are just stiff with no give like a normal shoe string.
Good to know. Never owned a pair of salomons before. Pull cord system not that good?

I wear these everyday including on trail hikes. I’m on my 2nd pair and got about a year out of the first pair. My foot is right between a normal width and wide and these fit perfect.

OP
R

rev44

Lil-Rokslider
I wear these everyday including on trail hikes. I’m on my 2nd pair and got about a year out of the first pair. My foot is right between a normal width and wide and these fit perfect.

See that brand in all my searches. Haven't heard of that brand before

I just got some Altra Lone Peak 5s. Mostly on the recommendation they are super wide, which they are. Good so far, but I have a feeling the soles are built for guys who are 165, not 200+
I have a pair of Lone Peaks but I have not worn them as a daily walk around shoe. But I have put approx. 250 miles on them running gravel, rock and mud trails over the course of a year. I am 210 pounds and the soles have held up well. The width of the toe box is what makes them nice but they are not too wide overall as I can lace them nice and snug on my narrow feet and they are good to run in. Beware that Altras are zero drop and may feel different until you are used to that.

For trail walking, hiking, and daily wear I have been very happy with a pair of Oboz mids that I started wearing in spring of 2020. They have proven more comfortable and more durable than Merrels and Vasques that I have had in the past. Oboz also offers the low shoe in most models but I have not tried them.

OP
R

rev44

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Lone Peaks but I have not worn them as a daily walk around shoe. But I have put approx. 250 miles on them running gravel, rock and mud trails over the course of a year. I am 210 pounds and the soles have held up well.

For trail walking, hiking, and daily wear I have been very happy with a pair of Oboz mids that I started wearing in spring of 2020. They have proven more comfortable and more durable than Merrels and Vasques that I have had in the past. Oboz also offers the low shoe in most models but I have not tried them.
Thanks! I have some friends that also run in altras. I will check out the others

ODB

WKR
I have a pair of Lone Peaks but I have not worn them as a daily walk around shoe. But I have put approx. 250 miles on them running gravel, rock and mud trails over the course of a year. I am 210 pounds and the soles have held up well. The width of the toe box is what makes them nice but they are not too wide overall as I can lace them nice and snug on my narrow feet and they are good to run in. Beware that Altras are zero drop and may feel different until you are used to that.

you are the man. I was unaware of what you meant by zero drop and looked it up. That is exactly what I am referring to. It gives the impression the heels are sacked out when there is no “lift.”

Glad to know your shoes have held up. And thanks for the hint on the zero drop. Very helpful.

ODB - the Lone Peaks do feel different due to the zero drop and thin feeling sole. They are good for feeling the trail and good traction but I’m not sure how they wou do as a daily walker on pavement due to the lugged outsole.

The zero drop feels different while walking but also works different muscles and stretches heel, calf, Achilles more than a high drop running shoe. This was my biggest reason for trying them and it has relieved my tightness and plantar fasciitis to a large degree.

ODB

WKR
ODB - the Lone Peaks do feel different due to the zero drop and thin feeling sole. They are good for feeling the trail and good traction but I’m not sure how they wou do as a daily walker on pavement due to the lugged outsole.

The zero drop feels different while walking but also works different muscles and stretches heel, calf, Achilles more than a high drop running shoe. This was my biggest reason for trying them and it has relieved my tightness and plantar fasciitis to a large degree.
I felt the calf stretch the moment I put them on. Felt good. Didn’t know exactly why, but now I do. That shoe also provides excellent arch support (maybe a benefit of zero drop?). Good shoes.

funny enough, since they are proper wide, I was able to order my actual foot size instead of always getting .5 size larger to help accommodate my box feet ;-)

505Wapiti

WKR
As many have said above, I love my Salomon shoes. Have had several pair, and it did take a bit to get used to not having traditional laces but really enjoy them and have gotten a lot of life out of them compared to Merrill’s and others I’ve had in the past.

Salomon pull cord works fine. I have used them for years and never had an issue or a failure. Some of their “cross” footwear has really deep treads that do great in mud but wear fast on pavement.

I have wide feet and tend to limit myself to shoes that have a wide version. My go to Fowler have been Merrell Moabs. I don’t care for the high top version. The goretex versions made my feet sweat like crazy. Far worse than any other goreTex footwear that I have owned.

I have used the Salomon speedcross, a couple la sportiva models, and altra lone peaks. Ive been wearing the lone peaks almost daily for over a year. Love those things.

Last edited: