Hiking/trail/ everyday shoe

505Wapiti

WKR
As many have said above, I love my Salomon shoes. Have had several pair, and it did take a bit to get used to not having traditional laces but really enjoy them and have gotten a lot of life out of them compared to Merrill’s and others. I also like the fact I can get them in wides.

*zap*

WKR
I wear the most minimal Merrill trail runner, vapor glove. Wear at work (physical work), everyday, trail hiking and rucking....great for my feet and posture...took a bit to get used to.

BadDogPSD

WKR
My current favorites are Oboz. Wore Lowas, then Merrell but both went downhill when they moved manufacturing to China

grfox92

WKR
Adidas Trail runners are a fantastic every day shoe.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Another big vote for Salomon, I've had the same pair of XA Pro for several years now and my use fits your exact description. Hiking, wearing around town, etc. Next pair will be the same. Also, zero issues with the pull cord lace system.

Looking for a replacement for my 3+ year old Salomon XA Pro 3D right now that were my daily shoes so this is timely. Might try the Xero Mesa Trail as the Merrill Vapor Glove 4 I just picked up at the outlet store fit funny for me. My big toe was dead center of the shoe and all my other toes were crammed to one side. Odd.

FYI Salomon was bought in 2019 by Anta Sports, the same Chinese sports conglomerate that also now owns Arcteryx.
Edit: looks like Xero is Made in China too, "ethically" :rolleyes: . "We design all of our shoes here in Colorado. Xero Shoes are responsibly, ethically, and fairly manufactured in China."

Last edited:

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
Xero Mesa Trail. My favorite shoe I’ve ever worn. Note that you do feel stuff beneath your feet more than a traditional shoe.

Tradchef

WKR
The X ultras are pretty sweet. The speed cross are really nice as well. A bit lighter in weight and super comfy. I’ve been messing with some La Sportiva ultra raptors as of late. I trail run and hike a lot and was curious so I grabbed a pair. They are so similar to the solomons in so many ways but I like the speed laces on the solomons and the overall fit of the raptors better. It’s like splitting hairs to be honest.

As many have said above, I love my Salomon shoes. Have had several pair, and it did take a bit to get used to not having traditional laces but really enjoy them and have gotten a lot of life out of them compared to Merrill’s and others I’ve had in the past.

Salomon pull cord works fine. I have used them for years and never had an issue or a failure. Some of their “cross” footwear has really deep treads that do great in mud but wear fast on pavement.

I have wide feet and tend to limit myself to shoes that have a wide version. My go to Fowler have been Merrell Moabs. I don’t care for the high top version. The goretex versions made my feet sweat like crazy. Far worse than any other goreTex footwear that I have owned.
I love my Salomons. The pull cord is great. Takes about 1 second to put on or take off.

Titan

WKR
I really like the hoka speedgoat (I have the mid height). Went with these over the Toa due to the wider toe box.

they are super cushioned and have proven to be very waterproof.

OP
R

rev44

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone having problems with the ultra 3 ripping or not holding up. Reading lots of negative reviews on the quality as of late.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for a low hiking shoe that can also be worn around as an everyday shoe once in awhile. So many out there and nothing around here to be able to really try any on. Just looking for a few recommendations that I can look in to. Thanks

Merrell Nova 2 Gortex.
Larger toe box than Salomon. Love the fit

I'm looking for a low hiking shoe that can also be worn around as an everyday shoe once in awhile. So many out there and nothing around here to be able to really try any on. Just looking for a few recommendations that I can look in to. Thanks

Hard to beat any of the Salomon offerings.

bozeman

WKR
Surprisingly, the Danner Trail 2650 has been great for me. Wore them all over Glacier NP this summer and have become my everyday shoe. Just seem to fit my feet well.

Whisky

WKR
Crispi crossover light pro's

I'm looking for lighter, comfy mid (6") boot for everyday winter wear. Are the Crossovers comfy enough to wear all winter long, all day, everyday? This would be in a more casual setting, not working outdoors.

Depends on if your foot is wide or narrow. Wide, look at New Balance. Narrow, Salomon. If you have a REI around often they have a variety of shoes to try on. Even if they don’t have the exact one you want you can get info on brands that suit your feet.

Salomon XA pro 3d. A bit cheaper, but wear them almost every day. Not waterproof, but really picked up for a casual shoe. I have run in them and they are fine. I do like the pull cord. Much quicker than lacing

Ive also got a pair of the waterproof OBOZ firebrands that are really comfortable as well. Actually got the Salomon's above at half price when I picked up the OBOZ, but I wear the Salomon's 75% of the time.

oboz.jpg