Hiking with a loaded backpack in tennis shoes vs boots

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
I have a love hate relationship with my mountain boots. When I’m off trail or under a heavy load, I love them. When I’m on trail or on easy ground I loathe them. They’re just so stiff and clunky and awkward it’s ridiculous.

When I train, I don’t use my boots because my locality is pretty flat. I’ll do one 3-5 mile ruck with my boots just to be sure they’re good and the rest of the time I’m in sneakers.

For me, the awkwardness on easy hikes isn’t worth the weight and hassle to bring both, so I just deal with it. You get used to it after a day or two and you don’t really notice much, especially if your using hiking poles, which I do.

So for me, summer time on trails or easy off trail terrain with sub 50 lb pack and I’ll wear trail shoes/sneakers. Come fall when 200-300 lbs of deboned meat might be in the cards, it’s a mountaineering boot for me.

In addition, the area I typically elk hunt in is pretty steep and really sketchy in some areas. I think the grip you get with the lugs and heal scoop of a good mountain boot is significantly better than most trail shoes I’ve seen out there.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

tdot

WKR
When I was more into mountaineering, I used runners on the access trails going up the mountains. Once we hit the snow, side hilling or on the route down, I'd throw on the plastic boots and have all the protection and stiffness I could use. Our packs were generally 80-90lbs and the runners worked just fine on the way up, but they would have sucked on the way down.

If I access hunting areas via trail I'd still consider that option, but as I'm typically 100% off trail, I wouldn't bother.

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
Funny you mentioned that. I went to do some summer whitetail scouting locally a few years back. Typically I wear my crocs while driving and put on my socks and shoes when I get there. Of course, like a dumbass, I forgot the socks and shoes. Even in the mild hills of west TN it was a shit show. My feet were sweating so bad it was like trying to walk on ice with the crocs squirting around my foot. Not to mention anytime that debris like pine needles or small sticks got between my foot and the shoe, the croc would quickly turn it into a mini dagger and go all stabby stab on my feet. That trip didn’t last long nor accomplish much.

Last edited:

GotDraw?

WKR
I buy footwear for the 1% because it's the 1% that will kill you.

When you have no choice but to pack out 80-100lbs multiple trips in a driving rain on a steep sidehill in wet sod... You may wish you had real boots and sharp sole edges to kick in and cut steps.

But-- maybe you can arrange for your elk to drop near a trail that is not covered in sharp rocks, not gonna bark your ankles, not gonna need to kick steps in for footing. Then you can go with sneakers and plan for the 99%.

JL

TheGDog

WKR
I've screwed up and forgotten my boots before and had to hunt/hike in Nikes running shoes. (Not Trail Runners. But still) I know Trail Runners have stiffer soles than regular running shoes, but no... don't mess around with the idea of doing a pack-out in Trail Runners... Especially if you have to negotiate some rocky areas. I don't even wanna THINK about having to do a packout w/o boots! Also it's about SAFETY man! Why risk it? Especially if you do solo. It SUCKS majorly having to drag your sorry broken self out of the forest with broken bones and what not.

You can maybe consider switching over Trail runners at the vehicle, for the return trip in, if you're electing to leave some of the gear like your tent and some things behind to lighten the load for the packout of the meat. That's what I've had to do a few times now. Especially when it's real damn hot, definitely consider the possible tactics of making a 2nd trip to deal with fetching the stuff you had to leave behind so the weight won't murder ya. Since you want to quickly return that meat to your Cooler.

hikenhunt

WKR
I usually train in regular running shoes. In the field, I've done loads of up to 97 lbs in both trail runners and mid height boots and lengths of up to 13 miles from the car. I prefer the trail runners, but under heavy load and long lengths, I've had ankle/foot fatigue. I've settled on the Salomon X Ultra Mid for now because they're still fairly lightweight but provide some ankle/foot support.

fatlander

WKR
There’s only one way to find out:

Put whatever you think the max weight is you’re going to carry in your pack. Hike it one direction.

Drop the weight.

Turn around, hike halfway back where you started, turn back around for the weight.

Pick the weight up and take the weight to where you started. If it’s a mule deer, you’re probably done.

If it’s an elk do it twice more.

Try it with boots and trial runners. See what works better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
I recently went back to boots. I love how light and quiet I feel in my Solomon speedcross gtx, but after two solid trials I’ve pretty much gone back to boots for 90%.

2 main reasons:

#1 - the shoes don’t hold up. I tried shoes for 8 of 16 days elk hunting in the gila, and for 6 days chasing ibex in the Florida Mtns. Both times I went in with a brand new pair and both times I walked out with a complete ruined pair of shoes. 1 week and they were absolutely demolished. Way too expensive to burn through a pair of shoes each hunt.

#2 - foot pain/injury. While it was nothing major, my feet were in pretty bad shape. Those light shoes just offer zero protection from sharp rocks and cactus. I just kept banging my toes or the sides of my feet on things and I could feel every bit of it, which started to add up after multiple days. Suddenly I found myself not looking forward to putting on those “light and comfortable” shoes in the morning. Boots just give a level of foot protection that I’ve come to appreciate. My ankles were fine. Although I did have one unexpected problem with an Achilles. We were in an old burn. Grass was very high making it impossible to see what you were stepping on, with millions of 2”-6” burned limbs lurking beneath. after the 4th or 5th time in a day that I hyperextended my foot and had to push off on it to keep moving up a steep slope with a heavy pack my Achilles decided it had had enough. It didn’t end my dream tag hunt, but I did spend the next 5 days limping badly and walking backwards up every hill I climbed. When we went back to the trucks to re-supply food on day 8 I swapped the shoes for my boots and I’ve never looked back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm an odd one in that I wear trail runners hunting and hiking vs boots. I have hiked with a backpack carrying 45 lb load many times in trail runners covering over 10 miles. Never had an issue with ankles spraining, rolling, etc. I've had an ortho surgeon say my ankles are probably stronger because I never wear boots.

But this year if I happen to get an animal to pack out, am I crazy to think I could carry the weight in trail runners vs boots? How heavy can your pack get when packing out a deer or elk? I understand it's as heavy as you'll let it get but curious if anyone else swears off boots.

If you're wondering why I avoid boots, it's because my feet breathe and I stumble less with trail runners. If my feet get wet, they dry faster. I have never gotten nasty swamp feet hunting or hiking.
only you can answer that.... many say you need supportive boots to pack a lot of weight, maybe true for them, but not for me. i have packed a whole bunch of loaded packs with meat with minimal footwear, have never had a single problem.... i have way more foot discomfort in substantial boots, loaded heavy or light.

i'm not talking i packed out a deer once and was ok, but over 20yrs of packing lots of meat every year, in all types of terrain. i'm not saying that's the best option for you, but people who say you need a stiff supportive boot to pack a lot of weight haven't hunted around people like me i guess. i think going from a substantial boot to a light hiker may have issues, but i guess i have conditioned my feet and ankles over the years.... i don't have foot and ankle problems "knock on wood" but i have a lot of things probably going for me that many don't that lets me get away with the hunting footwear i do.... i hate stiff boots for many reasons, they offer me no benefit, and they do hurt my feet and ankles.... i like and prefer mobility.... i don't like the crispi abss system at all, some love it.

more often than not, i'm elk hunting and packing in low tops with gaiters

Deadfall

WKR
I use a firm high arch support insert in my hikers. Have a couple pair of stiff boots. Wear them very seldom though.

NorseNW

FNG
I used to do the trail runner thing and then my ankles started giving me trouble. If you can get away with it the runners are definitely more comfortable.

Tradchef

WKR
I do both. Early on for deer and antelope I wear runners. For heavy pack out of elk and bigger Mulies I opt for boots. I like a stiffer boot for scaling scree fields and uneven terrain etc... plus the added weight puts pressure on your lower half and it’s nice to have some good rigid ankle support

Kotleta

FNG
Ive carried 50lb of rock salt for 1.6 miles in slides, so anything more should work just fine. I enjoy my solomons when it gets chilly or damp and Whites boots for extreme weather

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
People have weak feet from wearing casts their whole lives. Minimal shoes require training and strengthening your feet slowly and methodically. If you do that, minimal shoes are not a problem.

I packed out, or helped packed out six elk, a couple of deer, a bear, and a moose last year in very minimal shoes. Most of the people I hunted with were wearing the same shoe.

Antares

WKR
People have weak feet from wearing casts their whole lives. Minimal shoes require training and strengthening your feet slowly and methodically. If you do that, minimal shoes are not a problem.

I packed out, or helped packed out six elk, a couple of deer, a bear, and a moose last year in very minimal shoes. Most of the people I hunted with were wearing the same shoe.
Well don't leave us hanging! Speedgoat? Speedcross?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Well don't leave us hanging! Speedgoat? Speedcross?

I’m shoe agnostic. I think it’s silly to say “well, I really want to climb this mountain, or go look around the bend, but I don’t have my super special stiff boots”. Mostly I have used the Inov-8 Roclites, which is what most I’m around use as well. It’s nothing more than a relatively flat tennis shoe with excellent tread. However, I will use anything I am wearing- I’ve backpacked out in Vibram Five Fingers, though my feet aren’t built up for that now.

I’m trying the Vivi Barfoot Tracker Forest Esc now. So far, other than the high top, they are working well and solve some issues/complaints with the Roclites.

Last edited:

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t like cold feet & we hunt 3rd season elk in CO above 8,000 feet most of the time often in 6”-1’ of snow. My average pack out weight is over 80 lbs & 3 miles with lots of steep questionable footing. Only an idiot would wear trail runners in those conditions given a choice. When it’s dry with a 20 lb pack no problem but that isn’t the ideal. You could go light pack trail runners then switch to boots & frame pack but I hate extra trips so not for me.

I would want the protection of boots for sidehilling or cobble. I run into enough cobble even on trails, and have turned my ankle enough, there is no way I would pack a heavy load without something sturdy over the ankle.

Dobermann

WKR
I’m shoe agnostic. I think it’s silly to say “well, I really want to climb this mountain, or go look around the bend, but I don’t have my super special stiff boots”. Mostly I have used the Inov-8 Roclites, which is what most I’m around use as well. It’s nothing more than a relatively flat tennis shoe with excellent tread. However, I will use anything I am wearing- I’ve backpacked out in Vibram Five Fingers, though my feet aren’t built up for that now.

I’m trying the Vivi Barfoot Tracker Forest Esc now. So far, other than the high top, they are working well and solve some issues/complaints with the Roclites.
Thanks to Form's tip, I picked up a pair of the Vivo Barefoot Tracker Forest Esc to try.

One one short hike on them so far, but I'm really enjoying being back in minimalist shoes/boots.

Not sure my feet would be up for them under heavy load these days, but seeing as I use low-drop shoes everywhere else, it's great to have an off-track option too.

Here's the link if anyone else wants to check them out: https://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/tracker-forest-esc-mens

And hunt around for discounts - you can usually get 25% off at Vivo's site direct, but there are a couple of 30% affiliate codes out there ... so no need to pay the full price you'll first see on the website.