Hiking with your kids or toddler?

coop2424

WKR
I currently take care of my girl in the afternoons and evenings tell the wife gets home which does not allow me to get out in the woods as often as I would like. I was getting out with my girl on my chest carrier when she was a couple months old, but That no longer works well with her getting bigger (9 months old). Does anyone out there take their kid with them hiking or shed hunting? If so what do you use for a carrier? I am just starting to look at the rear frame carriers and don't know where to start. Hoping to go try some on this weekend and see what fits well.

Yukondog

WKR
I used the Kelty Pathfinder for years. It is very adjustable and grew with the kids. Once my first got big enough to walk my youngest took over the smooth ride. It works well. I was even able to carry my youngest in the pack and then my oldest on my shoulders when he had run out of gas.

There are a bunch out there, but the Kelty worked great for me.

Jackelope

Lil-Rokslider
Coop-I used a Kelty Wanderer and it worked fine till she started getting old enough to want to be out of it, then it became more of a wrestling match and became not worth it. I knew she didn't like being in it so I didn't make her. It had a 45 pound weight limit. You can find them on Craigslist all the time. I wouldn't buy a new one if you can find one slightly used.
My kid is 4.5 now and last summer she did a 3 mile RT into the Alpine Lakes Wilderness with me. That was awesome. I ended up piggybacking her about 1/4 mile or so on the way back. She wants to go hiking with me every sunday now, thats her thing. Good stuff.

OP
coop2424

coop2424

WKR
Thanks for the info guys. I am for sure looking for one used and it is looking like Kelty is the way to go. Figure there is one out there that someone bought and never used once I get what model I want narrowed down. Jackelope. Yeah I am getting her out as much as possible and hoping she takes to yet even though she is young now. Figure once she gets older and she is into it her and I can get away for trips easier since it will be her and me against mom. Haha

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Deuter kid comfort 2. It has a pouch for a hydration reservoir and I believe its good to 75 lbs. Its comfortable and has a lot of options for strapping to it.

dotman

WKR
Coop, my wife is in grad school so I'm always with our 18 month old daughter. Check the kelty packs out, I picked up our from REI for $70 on sale and it is perfect. My daughter loves going on hikes with me and gets so excited when she sees her pack well carrier I guess. Here is the one I have and it currently is $81 at REI, http://www.rei.com/product/829977/kelty-fc-10-frame-child-carrier-2011-closeout (doubt you find a better deal and company that stands behind their product at this price on craigslist).

This thing is great and actually holds weight well. The back pocket I put water bottles, diapers, wipies, snacks all the good stuff in. This pack will grow with you and your daughter, the max weight is 50lbs and by the time your daughter is that heavy she will be walking with you. I started using this pack 10 months ago and love it for what it is.

Last edited:
OP
coop2424

coop2424

WKR
Dotman thanks for the info I am going to go to rei tomorrow and see if they have that one to try on. I need something to fit someone taller since I am 6' 5" do you think they will work for that height? Yeah I can already tell my daughter really enjoys getting out of the house and hiking. She will just look at everything and talk and yell at our dogs which makes it that much better..

dotman

WKR
Yeah it should work just don't try to compare it to a good hunting pack. It really does well at what it does and for the minimal weight a 6 mile hike isn't out of the question. My daughter has fallen asleep in hers more then once and loves to grab my ears.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thrilled to hear about all of you getting out with the kiddos! Way to start them young!

philw

Lil-Rokslider
Another satisfied Kelty user here, our youngest is off at college now, but we used it for all three kids and now it's sitting in the basement, waiting for the next generation.

Carrying a squirming toddler around on your back is excellent training, for the both of you. I always loved X-C skiing with our oldest son--on downhills, he'd be scared and say "slow down daddy" while putting his arms around my head, oftentimes covering my eyes. That was good for balance and core strength. On uphills, he'd get impatient and say "faster daddy" while kicking his legs back & forth like I was a horse and he was spurring me--that was good for leg strength and cardio.

The Keltys are good just make sure if you think that you want a bug net or cover to get it at the time of purchase as they have stupid year models (like The North Face) and become obsolete and impossible to find. A stupid marketing thing if you ask me. Now you take Kifaru and the Duplex Timberline's availability and that is a perfect marketing tactic. :)

I've used a Deuter pack quite a bit as that is what is sold locally. Quality has been first rate, but load carrying is less than awesome once the kid gets over 30 lbs. It has a good frame, but the hip belt doesn't do much. The latest "Kid Comfort 1" seems to have a better harness, but I haven't tried it. No experience with the Kelty's.

I've also used my Barneys frame pack when he hit 2 yr old. The divider shelf works great as a seat, and my son's legs could go on either side. A much nicer ride for me anyway.

P1010761.jpg

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use an REI Piggyback Kid Hauler. Works great until the kids get much over 20lbs and then its just plain uncomfortable (both for them and me). I'd like to use my duplex frame and the Hunter Cargo Panel as it would be good training for me and I think I could make it more comfortable for them. My DT1 doesn't ship till July :( so I'm all I can do is wonder about it till then... :)

Jackelope

Lil-Rokslider
Coop-
YOu probably already checked out a pack or 3 if you went to REI but I am 6'4" and that Kelty pack I mentioned worked fine for me.

T43

Lil-Rokslider
Nice pic Yellowknife. My Kid comfort 2 is comfy enough I have debated using it as a meat hauler when it is done with it's kid hauling duties. I found it looking for a kid hauler that was H2O ready and have been very happy since. I've had a 35 Lb 3 year old, a 3L hydration reservoir, my DSLR camera and everything for a day outing stiffed into it and it was no problem hiking with it. Luckily I get to start over this year as the now 4 year old can hold her own for quite a while and the new little one doesn't weigh much. The seat is more like a bench than a saddle and is easier on the little legs sticking out than the Keltys I looked at when I got this pack. I believe the max weight for the pack is 50 lbs as opposed to the 75 I stated earlier. .

dotman

WKR
Thrilled to hear about all of you getting out with the kiddos! Way to start them young!

I hope that my daughter enjoys the outdoors and nature as much as I do, it will be great if she becomes my hunting partner but I won't push it.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
I hauled my kids in one of the Kelty packs, and one other Target store type pack. It worked great. Kids loved the ride and I got a bit of a workout.

Just this weekend I turkey hunted with my 7 and 4 year old boys. Lots of fun and we got into turkeys, but I think they were safe from us. We covered 4.25 miles GPS and the 4 year old did good. That kind of walking is old hat to the 7 year old now.

Kids are little sponges, get them out in the woods so they absorb the right stuff.

OP
coop2424

coop2424

WKR
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Have not made it to a store yet to try them on but will soon enough. Hate wasting my free time going to the store when I can get in the woods..

marshrat

FNG
I've even used a Kelty Cache Hauler with the kids. They can stand, and they are strapped in three different places. I will substitute them for the 50 lb sack of pea gravel that I normally use.

B

bearguide

yellowknife , the kid looks real comfortable/ the system looks good