Hileberg Akto vs Enan - 3 vs 4 season tent

Hi everyone,

Very new to the group, based in Australia.

Looking to part with some dollars on a good quality tent, and I am honestly torn....

I primarily hunt in Australia in warm to mild climate (rarely below 0 degrees C), but do hunt overseas (not as often as i would like!)

I have been eyeing off the Hileberg Akto and Enan (as well as other companies and their offerings) not sure if i really need a 4 season tent but when push comes to shove, i would rather be more protected than not enough! The Enan is bit more expensive and considerably lighter (1.2kg vs 1.7kg) but is only a 3 season tent....

Do any of you have experience with the Enan, what is the most severe weather you would put this bit of kit through?

Would i be better off just getting the 4 season Akto that from all reports is fairly bulletproof?

I am looking to do a self guided Tahr hunt on the south island of NZ later this year, so will be encountering snow and high winds....

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

FYI In the warmer months I use my hammock

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Might check out the new Stone glacier tent they just came out with

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Dinger

WKR
FWIW I don't own either, but have spent more time than I should looking into the brand. For me if NZ figures in at anytime then the Atko or Soulo, you could get away with the Enan easily enough in the Vic high country if you pick your spots for wind.

I've tented, hammocked and gone floorless in the high country.....floorless in NZ during a spring Thar mission, but lower in the valley & not that far from a hut if it turned to utter shite. Any other time I be looking for a solid 4 season mode of accomodation.

Cheers,

Dinger

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
I had an Enan for a while. The primary differences compared to the Akto are a higher cut on the fly bottom, a mesh door, fabric strength/weight, and 1 stake-out point on the ends instread of 2. The Akto will be a shade warmer, but only marginally if any more stable in wind and snow. Despite being a 4 season tent, the Akto is really not great with snow loads. This has been pretty well documented for many years. For me the Niak is a better do it all shelter, as it's light enough I can use it alone, burly enough to handle 4 seasons (I'm taking it out for a backpack trip next week in fact) and can fit 2 with three season gear without a problem. Drop the inner tent and you have a solid floorless shelter with tons of space. The only time I take my Allak is when I have two guys with 4 season type bulky gear, or the wind is going to truly rip and I know there will be no shelter.
The Enan is fine, and I'd take it over the Akto any day because I don't think its enough stronger to matter. I did struggle to get a taught pitch with the Enan fly at times. Anyway, my two cents.

MTSabo

WKR
I have the hilleberg unna I really like it. I use it without the inner mostly. I have heard reports that the enan condensates like crazy.

OP
M
FWIW I don't own either, but have spent more time than I should looking into the brand. For me if NZ figures in at anytime then the Atko or Soulo, you could get away with the Enan easily enough in the Vic high country if you pick your spots for wind.

I've tented, hammocked and gone floorless in the high country.....floorless in NZ during a spring Thar mission, but lower in the valley & not that far from a hut if it turned to utter shite. Any other time I be looking for a solid 4 season mode of accomodation.

Cheers,

Dinger

Thanks Dinger,

Yes the time we put in to these purchases can sometimes be embarrassing, worth it I think/hope...

The weight savings are what are leaning my towards the 3 season variants.

Huts are great, and always a good backup!

Thanks for chipping in!

OP
M
I had an Enan for a while. The primary differences compared to the Akto are a higher cut on the fly bottom, a mesh door, fabric strength/weight, and 1 stake-out point on the ends instread of 2. The Akto will be a shade warmer, but only marginally if any more stable in wind and snow. Despite being a 4 season tent, the Akto is really not great with snow loads. This has been pretty well documented for many years. For me the Niak is a better do it all shelter, as it's light enough I can use it alone, burly enough to handle 4 seasons (I'm taking it out for a backpack trip next week in fact) and can fit 2 with three season gear without a problem. Drop the inner tent and you have a solid floorless shelter with tons of space. The only time I take my Allak is when I have two guys with 4 season type bulky gear, or the wind is going to truly rip and I know there will be no shelter.
The Enan is fine, and I'd take it over the Akto any day because I don't think its enough stronger to matter. I did struggle to get a taught pitch with the Enan fly at times. Anyway, my two cents.

Thank you Snowy for the information.

I have not looked into the Niak yet, so i might do some digging into the specs.

I will let you all know the comparative specs and maybe get your advice again?

Thank you

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you for the suggestion, I cant find any information on the Stone Glacier tent, probably because of how new it is...

Do you know of any specs and/or reviews?

Cheers
32 square feet interior 4 lbs 4 oz. Should be on their website or Kurt chimes in on new stone glacier tent thread in this forum

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk