Hill country central Texas

DEW0341

WKR
Curious what everyone uses for central Texas hunting between October and February? Moving there in 2 weeks and I have a bunch of ultra light stuff already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tick

WKR
Whatever you are comfortable in. Jeans and Carharrt most common unless someone just likes wearing camo. Usually warm but hill country cold can chill your bones.
Not a physically demanding hunt compared to backcountry mountain hunting.

Tartan

WKR
My only must have is the first lite sawbuck pants. These breathe incredibly well for how much protection they offer. It sucks ending every single hunt with shredded shins.

I like a light weight merino top to keep the stink down in the heat. I tend to stink up poly shirts really bad.

the thing I’m still looking for something for the cooler weather that is quiet, but isn’t a burr magnet.

Rock-o

WKR
In the latter part of January I hunted near Comstock (Mexico border). Most nights/early mornings it was around freezing and days it was 50-60. One day approached 70. Sometimes it was very windy up on the plateaus. I wore the only hunting gear I have - Kuiu Guide pants and jacket, a Kuiu base Merino. That was great for the cold temps but I quickly had to ditch the jacket and fully open the vents on the pants.

Hondo

WKR
You will be well served by your UL gear plus a mid-layer option for most days. I spent most of last Archery season in LW pants and LW hoody with a Fanatic fleece hoody in my pack when needed. There were cooler mornings where I added a LW merino base layer and a Stratus vest and only few times I needed more than that.

It's a mixed bag of weather possibilities in Texas. You might have to layer up in Oct and then find yourself be able to go wade fishing in shorts in Dec. This past Feb I was getting stuff out of my mountain gear storage bins to wear but only for about a week.

Good call by Tarton on the Sawbuck pants. They are my go to for quail, turkey and much of my deer hunts. I also am fond of Corrugate, Ascent, Katana and Zions for this area. Pared with FL Wick merino tops plus mid-layer fleece tops like Klamath, Peloton 200 and Fanatic work best for me. I'm not a box blind hunter btw.

Welcome to Texas.

Last edited:

JRMiller

WKR
You will be well served by your UL gear plus a mid-layer option for most days. I spent most of last Archery season in LW pants and LW hoody with a Fanatic fleece hoody in my pack when needed. There were cooler mornings where I added a LW merino base layer and a Stratus vest and only few times I needed more than that.

It's a mixed bag of weather possibilities in Texas. You might have to layer up in Oct and then find yourself be able to go wade fishing in shorts in Dec. This past Feb I was getting stuff out of my mountain gear storage bins to wear but only for about a week.

Welcome to Texas.
You know what they say in Texas.
If you dont like the weather just wait 15 minutes! 😎

ccarter

FNG
The hunting will likely be much more stationary than what you're used to, and in most cases, not very physically demanding, so your body never really gets the blood pumping. That said, it can feel colder than the thermometer says. Weight is rarely a concern because you can drive pretty dang close to your stand or blind, and walk a pretty flat path the rest of the way in.

Might want to get some snake boots.