Hill People Gear

jdvanstar

WKR
Hey guys!

I'm looking into packs at the moment and came across HPG. The more I read about them, the more I like them. Problem with them (and with most pack companies) is that they're sold online, making test runs pretty difficult. I like the looks of the Ute or even the Qui-Ya.

Up until this point, I was sold on the SO Goshawk. Maybe that's still the best way to go?

Anyone with experience with both or either?

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Ute. It took a while to get the stays adjusted right, but since I did it has been great. My current setup is either the Ute or Umlindi with a V2 Pals pocket with my camera gear on as the compression panel depending on how much capacity I need. The V2 is also run as a stand alone pack with the V2 pocket harness for camera stuff. I have other pockets of theirs as well as the Tarahumara, which I have strapped on the back of the Ute as a panel and used as a fishing daypack on pack in trips. I have also used a Highlander panel with my day gear in it, and the main bag compressed,and used the bag to pack out a deer. They are very customizable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phaseolus

WKR
SO was 2.5 pounds lighter, had breakaway capability to carry a wet or dirty load between the bag and frame, waterproof pack material and made in Grand Junction where i can get any help, modifications, extra’s etc that I want. HPG seems to be sourced instead of made in GJ although they do now have a store on Main Street. The Woman in the HPG store kind of hm and hahed when I asked where it was made. I have a heavy duty heavy Lowe pack which I felt was the equal or better than the HPG stuff. I wanted a lighter pack with the SO features. I also like that the SO frame can accomodate any of their bags, I will probably buy a larger bag at a later date for when I want to carry a larger load.

gwl79902

WKR
I have had a highlander, ute, tara, kit bag, and a few other of their items. They are well made and heavy duty. In my opinion they are a little overkill. I got rid of most of it because it was just weighted to much.

CCH

WKR
I have several HPG packs. It’s no secret they are made by First Spear in the U.S. to HPG’s design. They are a more bomber type design than some of the ultralight hunting specific packs, but their harness and hip belts are the best I’ve ever used and you will work hard to wear one out. Now that I have my Qui-Ya, I may move on from my Ute. However, the Ute is a great all around pack. The volume of the Qui-Ya is a bit more suited to backpack hunting IMO. If you do more day hunting, I’d go with the Ute.

Rokwiia

WKR
I've got an HPG chest pack and a SO Revolution Fortress 6300. I love my HPG OKB and it's one of the best pieces of equipment I've ever owned. It's worn every time I enter the woods.

When I was looking for a new pack I wanted something that was lightweight, waterproof if possible, and would comfortably carry weight. Weight was a key ingredient as I already have a McHale backpack from the 90s that is bombproof and will likely last three generations of use. That pack is just plain heavy.

Both of the packs you mentioned are substantially heavier than the SO and my SO is absolutely waterproof so the contents will stay dry. That's a key ingredient for me as I am in an area where it is always wet. If volume is a consideration the Fortress 6,300, a top lid, and Talon provide about 7,800 ci or nearly 130L of pack space at less weight than the HPG.

Everyone I contacted about their SO pack all commented how comfortable it was. I smile every time I wear mine because it is a dream to carry. So comfortable I use SO Fortress as my daypack even though I have six other packs to use.

gjk5

FNG
FWIW i just realized both of these companies were local a couple of weeks ago, I went to the HPG store and they were super helpful and did not hesitate to tell me by who (First Spear) and where (MO, USA) the packs were made. Seemed like quality gear, hope to visit Seek Outside shop next week.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve heard many times that the HPG harness and prairie belt cannot be beat. I may even upgrade my molle frame with it. I’m their packs do look heavy though, and like most are quite spendy, especially ordering from Canada. A Ute pack and a Connor, looked about a $1000 to my door. Ouch.

bcimport

WKR
I’ve run an Qui Ya and found it to be a great pack. I did switch away from the single center attachment on the harness to 2 1” attachments. Other than that a very nice piece of gear. Quality is on par with all the other top shelf pack makers.

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
I’m running an Aston House Backcountry on a SG Krux frame. Great setup and HPG is first rate quality. Couldn’t be happier with their bags.

Hondo

WKR
One of my favorite daypack setups is an Hill People Gear Umlindi on a Prairie belt with a Pals pocket and Aston Panel. For a lighter warm weather setup I use a Recon belt with pockets and M2016 Buttpack. Not the lightest materials but definitely bombproof, comfortable and versatile gear. Great folks to deal with as well.

I’ve run an Qui Ya and found it to be a great pack. I did switch away from the single center attachment on the harness to 2 1” attachments. Other than that a very nice piece of gear. Quality is on par with all the other top shelf pack makers.
How did you get a smaller harness on to the bag? I’m 5 7 and run the qui ya. Sound exactly what I need