Hill people gear

Loughgear

FNG
So I’m looking for a decent all around pack, have it narrowed down to exo k3 3200, stone glacier solo and r3 3300, been reading as much as I can find on them. I’ve also been looking at the hill people gear decker frame and bag. Will mostly be used for backpacking trips throughout the year ranging from 1-5 nights. And will be used for moose or elk on a yearly basis, not as worried about pack size for this as moose is fly into camp and make daily trips out from it and elk will be maybe one or two night trips. Just wondering if anyone has any experiences with the hill people gear setup at all, I’ve read numerous threads on exos, stone glaciers vs “insert brand here” but can’t find much on the hill people gear. Thanks!

So I’m looking for a decent all around pack, have it narrowed down to exo k3 3200, stone glacier solo and r3 3300, been reading as much as I can find on them. I’ve also been looking at the hill people gear decker frame and bag. Will mostly be used for backpacking trips throughout the year ranging from 1-5 nights. And will be used for moose or elk on a yearly basis, not as worried about pack size for this as moose is fly into camp and make daily trips out from it and elk will be maybe one or two night trips. Just wondering if anyone has any experiences with the hill people gear setup at all, I’ve read numerous threads on exos, stone glaciers vs “insert brand here” but can’t find much on the hill people gear. Thanks!
I have a Ute. I believe it would fit the bill for what you need it for. The Decker and the Ute share the same suspension, so the deciding factor would be whether you want a sewn on bag or a bag that detaches from the frame.

I actually tried to sell the Ute because it fits a niche that I don't really have a use for right now. I need daypacks and 8-10 day expedition packs. The Ute is somewhere in the middle of those two, although it compresses down to daypack size very nicely. I'm secretly glad it didn't sell, because I love the prairie belt. It's one of the most comfortable pack belts I have ever used. My other favorite feature is the compression system. It's unlike anything else. It works so well that you can over tighten the system without realizing it.

I would recommend getting a pocket with either the Decker or Ute. I got a PALS pocket, super useful.

There is a a difference in frame height for the packs you mentioned as well. The HPG is shorter by about two inches from the Stone Glacier, about 1-2.5" from the tall K3 frame depending on the frame height you choose. If you have a long torso you should take the into consideration. I have a 21" torso and I can comfortably carry about 75lbs in the Ute with it's 24" frame.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Voyageur

WKR
Great information given and it is all spot on. I have three HPG packs; a Tara, Umlindi, and a Ute, as well as their Prarie and Recon belts.
The Tara is used mainly for day hikes in the summer...think water bottle and maybe a jacket. I use the Umlindi for predator calling and also for tree stand work. The Ute has been on a 6 day summer backpack trip and several big game hunts ranging from caribou, to moose (unsuccessful). to antelope, deer, etc. Comfort of all three is excellent when adjusted for proper fit.
They are all great quality packs. As @doncarpenter said the compression system on the Ute is superb. Truth be told I wish I had gone with the Qui-Ya instead of the Ute. My Ute was actually a bit undersized for the summer pack trip. My pack weight was only 30# and I still had to strap some items outside the pack. Not a big deal, but for my preferences it was undersized.
Don't overlook what @doncarpenter said about the HPG packs not being interchangeable with one common frame. Whether that is a plus or a minus depends on your personal preferences. Personally it is something I'm starting to question more and more as I see other makes of packs that are able to be purchased separate from their frame. It all depends on what you want, but is definitely something to be aware of.

OP
L

Loughgear

FNG
Ya I was thinking about running either the small or medium decker with the pals pocket, just wanted some people’s input before I drop that kinda money on something, ordering to Canada kinda sucks so ordering multiple packs and sending back is out of the question. Thank you for the input!

Olson

Lil-Rokslider
HPG doesn't get the love I personally think they deserve for their packs. I just recently picked up the Decker frame and pocket but haven't put it to use yet. I'm excited about the new addition of the "Pack Bags" to the Decker line up and plan on picking them up soon. However, I have used the shit out of the Ute and Qui-ya. Here is a pick this last summer of a scouting trip up in Flagstaff. 3 nights worth of food, gear, and water. The second pic is just some overnight backpacking here in Prescott using the Ute with the Tarahumara pocket.

Attachments

• 20200910_121834.jpg
    20200910_121834.jpg
    498.1 KB · Views: 169
  • 20200414_080612.jpg
    20200414_080612.jpg
    516.8 KB · Views: 162

semasko

FNG
I had the Aston House BC and I loved it except for the backing. It didn't have any elevated padding like most packs, which is OK but it had no breathability whatsoever. Being that I mostly used it in the summer, I ended up trading it in because it suffocated me in sweat. I'm sure if you get one of the frames it would be good though. Extremely tough pack though, it still looked brand new after consistently taking it through some rough vegetation.

I had the Aston House BC and I loved it except for the backing. It didn't have any elevated padding like most packs, which is OK but it had no breathability whatsoever. Being that I mostly used it in the summer, I ended up trading it in because it suffocated me in sweat. I'm sure if you get one of the frames it would be good though. Extremely tough pack though, it still looked brand new after consistently taking it through some rough vegetation.
You have to adjust the shoulder straps and load lifters a bit. HPG packs arent meant to ride the back. It's supposed to hang slightly off and load into the lumbar spine.

Smid

WKR
I love the HPG kit bags but I’m one of the few that hate their harness. I tried and umlindi and Tara for day bags and both of them didn’t last a week before getting sold

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I just purchased the Decker frame with Small bag and the Utility compression panel. Its been years since I have tried their packs figured Id try them out. Huge Fan of HPG Gear.

mikey

FNG
how do you like the Decker?

i've had my eyes on it... seems like a great system that can handle anything from overnights to long trips or meat or cargo like jerry cans or whatever.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I just posted about me adding a Stryker XL to the Decker Frame. For me, HPG Belt is the most comfortable and customizable on the market. You can remove Foam to change the way it fits you even where all other pack companies just have 3 sizes of belt without customizing it. I also have no ass so the HPG Lumbar pad just works better for me then the common Lumber pads you find on alot of the other packs. Here is the link with photos of the Decker Frame with the Kifaru Stryker XL attached. It works flawlessly.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/teaser-kifaru-hpg-stryker-xl.213860/#post-2083865 The bags in the pictures are the Large HPG Bag and the Small. So you can get an idea of how this works.

MP43

FNG
I have an Aston House, a Tara and a kit bag - all great quality and solid. Biggest complaint with the Aston House is the strapiness of it. Web dominators and tape barely contain the tag ends. Useful for strapping extraneous gear, but then you end up looking like a gypsy who didn't buy enough pack to begin with.

wildcat33

WKR
They make really cool and well built stuff. I have worn many backpacks over the years, but the HPG harness and belt system just didn't work for me: The way the belt attaches rubbed me raw and the harness didn't fit my shoulders that well. I had the aston house, maybe it was just that specific pack design. Would recommend trying it out before you fully commit.

Hondo

WKR
I have the HPG Butt Pack, Tara, Umlindi and Aston House packs plus Prairie and Recon belts. I use the Umlindi with a Pals Pocket and Pack Bucket for a hunting day pack. Thoughtfully designed and well built gear. I find the shoulder harness and Prairie belt to be very comfortable. No experience with the larger packs but have been thinking about a Decker setup myself.

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider
I've own/owned Exo, HPG, Kifaru and previously Mystery Ranch and Stone Glacier as well. I have a thing for bags and have had trouble finding one that fit me well.

I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the packs you mentioned. All quality brands that really come down to personal fit. For me, the SG bag layout wasn't as convenient as the Exo and I can configure HPG how I like it. I hated the Kifaru shoulder straps.

Those HPG bags can really carry weight well and I like their belts the best. Their quality is on par with anything I've seen from Kifaru or any of the other top manufactures you've listed.

The knock on the HPG bags is that they're heavy. And they are. They also get expensive fast when you start adding pockets and accessories. The hunter does seem like an after thought to a lot of their products with backcountry travel being the primary focus of their products. Tons of overlap but there's some features in other bags that make getting gear in and out a bit easier.

However, they can really carry weight exceptionally well. I also find their belts fit me the best.

For hauling elk and moose quarters, the Exo and Decker are the only ones I'd personally consider.

The 3200 would be tough for a 5 night trip while carrying out meat if you ever plan to pack in anywhere. Just not enough bag. But the 4800 compresses very well and gets small enough for a big day bag all the way out to 5-7 days if you pack right.

I'd go Decker first then 4800 if I were in your shoes.

I have the HPG heavy kit bag, and Decker frame/pocket on their molle belt... I really like that modularity of the Decker pack and while I haven't tried it yet, basically like the idea that I could put most of my "camp" into a dry bag and then utilize the rest of the frame as a day pack.

I haven't had a problem with my pack and I've had it for a year.