Hill Style/ASL Longbows Anyone?

I started out with D bows but I just can't keep from torquing them. Finally had to give them up and go to something with more of a locator recurve grip. I also want to try a Stalker Dingo or Linx though because I love light nimble bows for hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started out with D bows but I just can't keep from torquing them. Finally had to give them up and go to something with more of a locator recurve grip. I also want to try a Stalker Dingo or Linx though because I love light nimble bows for hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I struggled with that pretty badly too, but once I started shooting reverse handle, it went away.

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
Why exactly do you not want clear glass on a ASL wouldn't you want to see the wood grain?

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
Why exactly do you not want clear glass on a ASL wouldn't you want to see the wood grain?
Well in my case I like the looks of brown glass on some bows. My Wesley Special has bamboo limbs and really doesn’t have any grain or character to show.

Titan_Bow

WKR

I think its more nostalgia than anything. I have a Strunk ASL with clear glass, but I have had Quillian and Hill ASLs with colored glass. As GLB says, alot of these bows are bamboo limbs, and clear glass over bamboo doesnt always look that pretty and can be very light in color. My Strunk bow has nicely figured yew lams

Awesome video! What do you think so far? I’m hooked on heavy wood arrows for the ASL. I love making them as much as shooting them.

My bow is quieter too when I shoot split too. The problem is I’m a train wreck shooting split 😂

Last edited:

sveltri

WKR
I don't why, but I just ordered a Pacific Styk yesterday. I guess I'll figure out if I like em or not. It'll be a far cry from my Bob Lee Cobra Curves.

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
So I built my own ASL with some help from a boywer. is handshock normal? Or is it maybe the locator grip? I listened to a Cody greenwood podcast saying If your not familiar with a ASL that a locator grip can multiply handshock.

Attachments

• received_388294496545426.jpeg
    received_388294496545426.jpeg
    737.5 KB · Views: 20
OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
So I built my own ASL with some help from a boywer. is handshock normal? Or is it maybe the locator grip? I listened to a Cody greenwood podcast saying If your not familiar with a ASL that a locator grip can multiply handshock.
The locator grip on a ASL still needs to be shot so that you have some pressure on the heel of the bow hand. I think what he was saying on the podcast is some try to shoot the ASL with a locator grip similar to like you would a recurve.

Generally speaking the locator grip is to help you index your hand in the same location every time but need the heel down . Experiment with the heel down and pressure to see what the bow likes.

Awesome video! What do you think so far? I’m hooked on heavy wood arrows for the ASL. I love making them as much as shooting them.

My bow is quieter too when I shoot split too. The problem is I’m a train wreck shooting split 😂

Yeh, I'm terrible at it. The rest is very different and my sight picture is very different. Still good fun though and nothing I shouldn't be able to get used to!

I don't why, but I just ordered a Pacific Styk yesterday. I guess I'll figure out if I like em or not. It'll be a far cry from my Bob Lee Cobra Curves.

Post some pics when you get it, mate!

As GLB said, make sure you are putting pressure into the bow with the 'heel' of your hand, and use a heavy enough arrow. Also try holding the bow a little more firm than you would with a recurve.

Kdf22

Lil-Rokslider
To help with any handshock you feel try shooting the longbow with a bent elbow and that will make it better. It is very important to shoot a heavy arrow too. Any noise will be totally eliminated with a heavy arrow

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
A little early morning practice at 25 yards with a favorite longbow. Half of a turkey target didn’t make it easier 😆

Attachments

• 89E62720-D158-40E2-9C25-A37714F8DD77.jpeg
    89E62720-D158-40E2-9C25-A37714F8DD77.jpeg
    702.8 KB · Views: 42