Hilleberg 2 tent setup for July-end of Sept in CO

I am struggling on my decision on a new shelter setup to run above tree line in Colorado from scouting in June/July/August, to hunts in Sept - early October. I do not expect or plan on using either after early October. (Archery, early rifle, goat/sheep hunts). I do intend on all of these early trips to be above tree line or right at tree line 90% of the time.

Niak; run it solo or on light and fast overnight/weekend scouting trips with my wife or one of the kids. But will I be disappointed with the size of this shelter with my wife in it with me? A hunting buddy would be a no go with that size, no doubt.
+
Helags 3 (new, but basically the Katium 3 in a yellow label); run it on known trips where I have the room or a place to pitch the bigger foot print (~13.5 feet tip to tip). Would work with 2 guys or myself and wife on a longer trip. Can run the outer and ground cloth if I wanted for more room but still be super light.

I am pretty convinced on the Helags over a red label. I think I will appreciate the ventilation more than the upside of the red label Kaitum or Nallo.

I am worried I will not appreciate the size and weight of the Niak the first time I am with my wife and it rains/snows and we are trying to get setup or get dressed inside the tent due to conditions outside. But think I would appreciate the side entrance over the Anjan 2/3 tube design getting in and out.

Would appreciate any advise or thoughts/experience on a setup like this. Big investment but it will get a lot of use this year and years to come.

I bought an Anjan 2 for the exact same use that you're considering. I don't mind the front entrance and will be using it solo almost exclusively. Should be a great summer tent that will also stand up to the inevitable random storm that rolls through.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
No experience with the models you mentioned but my allak is surprisingly small for a 2 person tent. Even with my wife in it, 100% of the gear needs to be in the vestibules at night. I was actually sort of shocked when I first got the tent.

For a solo hunt it’s fine, honestly I wish I had the allak 3 and a solo.

as.ks.ak

WKR
So, imho:

You want the helags or the Kaitum. The vertical inner tent walls are far more roomy than the sloped inner on the anjan or Niak. It makes a huge difference.

The Kaitum vents really well if you have it pitched properly. The double vents are really nice. It vents head and shoulders better than the nallo.

Comparing the Kaitum to the helags, it’s a pro con battle at that point...but for me it’d be one of those two.

Also, if you pull the inner tent out of a Hilleberg they get incredible roomy. If you’re going to go that route I’d suggest the Kaitum. Oh! And not forgetting a head net!

Let us know what you end up with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
No experience with the models you mentioned but my allak is surprisingly small for a 2 person tent. Even with my wife in it, 100% of the gear needs to be in the vestibules at night. I was actually sort of shocked when I first got the tent.

For a solo hunt it’s fine, honestly I wish I had the allak 3 and a solo.
The Allak 3 is a nice tent, but it is enormous when packed into it's stuff sack. Even if you split up the poles and outer/inner, it is still takes up a lot of room in your pack.

OP
B
So, imho:

You want the helags or the Kaitum. The vertical inner tent walls are far more roomy than the sloped inner on the anjan or Niak. It makes a huge difference.

The Kaitum vents really well if you have it pitched properly. The double vents are really nice. It vents head and shoulders better than the nallo.

Comparing the Kaitum to the helags, it’s a pro con battle at that point...but for me it’d be one of those two.

Also, if you pull the inner tent out of a Hilleberg they get incredible roomy. If you’re going to go that route I’d suggest the Kaitum. Oh! And not forgetting a head net!

Let us know what you end up with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am still very on the fence, but leaning Helags 3. It’s 1lb and 12oz lighter and I just don’t see myself ever in a backpack tent in Oct-Nov-Dec for what I do. So I keep going back to the ventilation of the Helags in all the July/Aug/sept times.

OP
B
Well I just went totally off the rails and ordered a Rogen. Couldn't turn down the free standing, smaller footprint, sub 5 lbs, but with 2 vestibules and more room that the Niak.

Going to get it and play around with it and see if I still want a bigger Helags3 or Kaitum3 in the lineup.

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
Well I just went totally off the rails and ordered a Rogen. Couldn't turn down the free standing, smaller footprint, sub 5 lbs, but with 2 vestibules and more room that the Niak.

Going to get it and play around with it and see if I still want a bigger Helags3 or Kaitum3 in the lineup.
I think you'll like the Rogen. I got mine for mostly solo camping, but with the ability to fit a second person with each having their own vestibule and entrance. I've only used it solo so far, but it's a palace for one, and would be doable with 2.

If you're going to be pitching it in heavy winds I reccomend getting extra guy lines and stakes for the vestibule tie points. They don't come with lines from the factory and I spent a sketchy night in the beartooths finding that out. The tie-out location on the vestibule is my only complaint on the tent, I wish they were on the "long side".

OP
B
I think you'll like the Rogen. I got mine for mostly solo camping, but with the ability to fit a second person with each having their own vestibule and entrance. I've only used it solo so far, but it's a palace for one, and would be doable with 2.

If you're going to be pitching it in heavy winds I reccomend getting extra guy lines and stakes for the vestibule tie points. They don't come with lines from the factory and I spent a sketchy night in the beartooths finding that out. The tie-out location on the vestibule is my only complaint on the tent, I wish they were on the "long side".
Thanks, I just ordered more 2mm guy line and line-loc's for it to have those extra guy lines ready to go. I also ordered some of the red MSR ground hog stakes to have around as well to supplement or replace those little gold ones that helleberg ships with their yellow label tents.

Jimss

WKR
I have a Nallo GT and love it! I've used and abused it in Alaska, Colo, and Wyo. One thing you may want to try is using the fly alone with painters plastic floor during the early season. Once it snows add the interior body. The fly on my Nallo used alone is bomber=proof. I've used it countless times and there is gobs of usable floor space for sleeping plus gear. It also only weighs around 2 1/2 to 3 lbs. The Anjan is similar to Nallo but a bit lighter weight. The fly on the Anjan doesn't quite reach the ground but breathes better in super humid conditions than a Nallo. Hillebergs make THE best tents available! I've gotten so many years of use out of mine and mine have withstood high wind, sleet, rain, and fairly deep snow!

JakeShmevans

Lil-Rokslider

I’ve been eyeballing a Rogen for my wife and I or myself and the dog. What are your thoughts on it?

OP
B
I’ve been eyeballing a Rogen for my wife and I or myself and the dog. What are your thoughts on it?
Would the dog sleep inside the inner tent with you or in one of the vestibules? Also how big is the dog? I have a 60lb lab and no way would I want me my wife and that dog in there. We have spent upwards of probably 25-30 nights in it and have been in some crazy winds (where I was really worried about the crossing poles snapping) but it never waivered. We sleep with 2 25” xtherm pads and they fit in the floor snug next to each other but it almost makes one big bed. Good headroom, nice vestibules plenty big for a kifaru pack, boots, a rifle, jet boil etc to lay out.

It’s a warm tent even though it’s a 3 season they say (I would have zero worry in snow and think it would shed it great even though I haven’t had a snowy trip in mine). Some trips in the summer I wished for more airflow and would often sleep with the vestibules open so if a storm blew in at night we could just zip them down quick.

I’m 6’ and use a 6’6” bag and plenty of length and headroom.

The two vestibules are great if you get up at different times in the night to pee and such.

JakeShmevans

Lil-Rokslider
Would the dog sleep inside the inner tent with you or in one of the vestibules? Also how big is the dog? I have a 60lb lab and no way would I want me my wife and that dog in there. We have spent upwards of probably 25-30 nights in it and have been in some crazy winds (where I was really worried about the crossing poles snapping) but it never waivered. We sleep with 2 25” xtherm pads and they fit in the floor snug next to each other but it almost makes one big bed. Good headroom, nice vestibules plenty big for a kifaru pack, boots, a rifle, jet boil etc to lay out.

It’s a warm tent even though it’s a 3 season they say (I would have zero worry in snow and think it would shed it great even though I haven’t had a snowy trip in mine). Some trips in the summer I wished for more airflow and would often sleep with the vestibules open so if a storm blew in at night we could just zip them down quick.

I’m 6’ and use a 6’6” bag and plenty of length and headroom.

The two vestibules are great if you get up at different times in the night to pee and such.
It would be either the dog or the wife in the tent and not both as I have a similar sized dog. If we all go I’d take our Anjan. That’s all good information though! Thanks!

OP
B
It would be either the dog or the wife in the tent and not both as I have a similar sized dog. If we all go I’d take our Anjan. That’s all good information though! Thanks!
With one or the other it’s a great option and I am glad I went up to the rogen from the niak. If you would be solo a lot you would probably want the niak but even with the dog you can use that 2nd vestibule in the rogen to have it get in and out on that side to avoid the claws going over your sleeping pad and bag and getting it dirty or risking tearing a hole and such.