Hilleberg Nallo

JigStick

WKR
I have plenty of floorless shelters / stoves. What I need is a Spring - to - Fall shelter for me and my two boys (ages 9 and 10). I’m considering a Nallo 4GT. Wind and rain can be pretty severe where we hike / hunt. As well as the ticks.

Anybody have an opinion on the Hilleberg Nallo?

OP
JigStick

JigStick

WKR
Yeah not ideal. But I’m slightly weight conscious. A keron or Kaitum are over my weight limit. My Redcliff and nest comes in around 9lbs so I’m trying to keep this next purchase 9lbs or less

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Great quality and can’t argue with the durability.

Ease of pitching isn’t the best. Getting in and out sucks ass with wet clothes and muddy boots.

That tent will function as you need it to for bad weather and nasty wind for sure. You may find the tunnel design to be less than ideal for multiple folks sharing a tent.

I’m having trouble finding an alternative 4 person shelter. That’s less weight than the nallo but also robust
The shortcomings of a tunnel may not bother you but it's a significant investment to find out. Some people get along with the Nallo just fine.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Used a Nallo 2 GT for a couple of years with the one outfit I guided for and also have an Anjan 3 GT for when I bring the girlfriend and the dog along in the summer months. Loved the Nallo. Easy to pitch although it did require a bit more real estate than some of my other tents. Shitty weather? Hang out in the large vestibule. If you're tall it can be a bit of pinch with your feet touching the end, but being 6 ft 1 I never really found it to be an issue.

Most other 4 person tent options are likely going to be meant for car camping and probably won't have the type of durability it sounds like you're looking for.

Ram94

WKR
Would it be a viable option to get two 2-man shelters?

The Durston XMid 2P solid is a great shelter. I sold a Nallo 3GT after using one.

I've used a Nallo 3gt for over 5 years on sheep, goat, caribou, moose, and other hunts with well over 100 nights in it and I've loved it. I've slept 3 grown men (all of us over 6', I'm 6'3") in it a number of times and while it's pretty tight, we made it work just fine and there's room for 3 packs in the extended vestibule. I don't have any issue with getting in and out of it although you do have to take turns, I'm not sure why folks complain about the front entry. The foot print is pretty large so depending on the terrain it can be difficult to find a place to set up. Basic set up is quick and easy once you've got it figured out. It does tend to accumulate a fair bit of condensation, but if you find a 3+/4 season tent that doesn't, let me know. Overall, I think it's a great tent and would certainly recommend it, it just depends on what you're looking for. It's obviously not an ultralight design, but its bombproof and there's nothing better than the tunnel design for wind. I've spent many nights in downpours in it and never experienced any leaking, just the condensation as mentioned.