Hilleberg Rogen vs. Allak

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking for people that have used either the Hilleberg Rogen, Allak, or comparable tent. I do backpack style hunting and it’ll primarily be used in Montana/Wyoming during archery season as well as into the rifle season. I love that they are free standing tents, the rogen comes in just over 4lbs while the Allak comes in just over 7lbs. Obviously the Allak would be a bear to use backpacking but wondering if the pounds are worth the pain for comfort or tough it out in the rogen. The Allak could also be used for trips into Alaska/Canada. Any opinions from people who have used either?

Firemedic710

Lil-Rokslider
I was debating the same when looking for a two man sheep tent. I went with the Allak and take the inner out. Been pretty happy with it.

OP
Augie

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
I was debating the same when looking for a two man sheep tent. I went with the Allak and take the inner out. Been pretty happy with it.
How’s the weight for you when hiking it in? It’s just hard to mentally justify 7lb packpacking tent even with the inner out I believe it’s still over 5 lbs

Firemedic710

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t use it solo, so between two of us it’s not bad. My solo sheep tent Is the soulo without the inner. That’s still 4 lbs if I remember right. It’s worth it up here for me to have a bombproof tent. When I archery elk hunted Colorado I usually used a tarp.

Are you going to use it Solo? If so, why not look at the Unna? Stronger than the Rogan and lighter than the Allak. Yes, I know, it is not what you asked for, but I ave and uses the Unna a lot, take out the inner and you have a even lighter tent. Rogen is a lighter and "weaker" tent, it is a Hilleberg, so it is strong.
If you get snow, you will feel more secure in a Unna.

Jimss

WKR
I've used and abused my Hilleberg Nallo GT for years. Super durable and gobs of room inside the vestibule. I often use just the fly on sheep, elk, and goat hunts. Even just the fly is bomber-proof. I often bring along painters plastic when using just the fly to keep things clean and dry. Painters plastic only weighs a couple ounces. It's really nice having all the room for me plus gear....especially on extended hunts.

OP
Augie

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
Are you going to use it Solo? If so, why not look at the Unna? Stronger than the Rogan and lighter than the Allak. Yes, I know, it is not what you asked for, but I ave and uses the Unna a lot, take out the inner and you have a even lighter tent. Rogen is a lighter and "weaker" tent, it is a Hilleberg, so it is strong.
If you get snow, you will feel more secure in a Unna.
Yes I’d be using it primarily solo. I looked at the unna but to be honest the reason I didn’t consider it is because it’s not on the Gohunt page where I’m planning to buy. I have around $600 of points on gohunt so I could use it on a hilleberg tent and pay a fraction of the price. Though I would much prefer the unna.

OP
Augie

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
I have an Allak and having just watched a video about the Rogen I might add that I think the Allak has far better ventilation. Maybe something to consider.
I think you’d definitely be right on that. Mostly caught up on not wanting to carry 7lbs of the Allak though haha

OP
Augie

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
I've used and abused my Hilleberg Nallo GT for years. Super durable and gobs of room inside the vestibule. I often use just the fly on sheep, elk, and goat hunts. Even just the fly is bomber-proof. I often bring along painters plastic when using just the fly to keep things clean and dry. Painters plastic only weighs a couple ounces. It's really nice having all the room for me plus gear....especially on extended hunts.
I have seen and heard some awesome things about the nallo GT! But what turns me off from the tent mostly has to do with it not being free standing. After some past experiences trying to pitch a non free standing tent in high winds it was an eye opener. That’s going by my preferences anyways. I think the nallo GT is incredible based on its size to weight ratio though.

Jimss

WKR
I’ve done quite a bit of sheep and mtn goat hunting and could always find a spot to put up my nallo. Sometimes it may take some looking to find a spot for my tent but not a problem in most cases.

Gpmuhonen

FNG
I’m looking for people that have used either the Hilleberg Rogen, Allak, or comparable tent. I do backpack style hunting and it’ll primarily be used in Montana/Wyoming during archery season as well as into the rifle season. I love that they are free standing tents, the rogen comes in just over 4lbs while the Allak comes in just over 7lbs. Obviously the Allak would be a bear to use backpacking but wondering if the pounds are worth the pain for comfort or tough it out in the rogen. The Allak could also be used for trips into Alaska/Canada. Any opinions from people who have used either?
Why not consider the Kuiu Storm Star at 6 lb? Same twin vestibule design but wider and taller.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yes I’d be using it primarily solo. I looked at the unna but to be honest the reason I didn’t consider it is because it’s not on the Gohunt page where I’m planning to buy. I have around $600 of points on gohunt so I could use it on a hilleberg tent and pay a fraction of the price. Though I would much prefer the unna.
I bet if you emailed or called GoHunt they could get you an Unna since they're a dealer. Worst they could say is no.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have an allak, it is heavy. I’ve never used it without the inner but I will this year, seems like ditching the inner but keeping the footprint might be decent for a float hunt. I have backpacked with it and split it up with another person but it’s still a heavy tent.

The pros are that it’s bombproof, I’ve spent a few days in it while it’s blowing a ******* hoolie and the tent just shook it off.

The cons are that it’s small. When me and my petit wife are in it, there is zero room for anything other than sleeping pads and bags. It would be nice if there was a few inches or 5 between the pads and the tent but 2 sleeping pads takes up all the floor space.

It’s also heavy but we already know that, the real issue is that it’s wet, it collects condensation like you wouldn’t believe and if you’re feet or head touch then ends, they get wet. Even with the vents open it gets damp.

In the end you need to look at what you want out of the tent, I know sheep hunters which carry the hilleberg staika which is a heavier version of the allak for the security. The allak was designed for sea kayak touring in Greenland where weight isn’t an issue and you’d be dealing with tough conditions. I listened to an interview with Petra hilleberg and she was like “if your feet touch the ends of the tent, just throw your rain jacket over the bottom part of your legs…..yeah i don’t want to do that.

In the end, I’m not super stoked with the allak even though it is bombproof and reliable. I like that it’s free standing but other than that…..I’ll have to see how it does without the inner tent in it. Maybe I’ll love it.

OP
Augie

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
The way I look at it is like this: my last tent was the seek outside silex tent. The weight of the tent, tyvek sheet to lay my sleeping pad on, and the trekking poles required to pitch the tent came in at 2.94lbs. I decided to purchase the Rogen and so far have been very impressed. Without using the tent stuff sack that it comes with the entire tent and stakes came out to 4.29lbs. For having a tent of that quality and a bathtub floor I'll gladly carry 1.35 extra pounds.

I considered the stone glacier skyscraper tent as well but decided to go with the rogen for a few reasons. If I need a late rifle season tent I'll probably go with a tipi and a stove

Delta21

FNG
Following to gets some insight on a 2/3 man free standing tent that’s durable and not too heavy? Thought I had my mind settled on allak but after reading here not sure??