Hilleberg tent ground tarp? Yes or no?

Just curious how many of you Hilleberg tent owners run the groundtarp/sheet under your tent? I'm thinking of ditching it to save weight on my sheep hunt. Just bought my first Hilleberg tent this spring.

I have a Nallo 2 and I use tyvek under it. I cut it out to be slightly smaller than the tent footprint so it fits nicely underneath and isn’t sticking out anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never used a ground sheet/cloth under mine. I make sure I thoroughly check the area where the tent will go and then set it up. Never popped a hole in the floor yet. Their floors are as stout as other tents with a groundsheet.

Freestone

Lil-Rokslider
Like stated above, I’ve never ran a footprint with a hilleberg and never had any issue at all. Some of my tents are 10+ years and I’ve used them extensively without ever noticing any issues, Including sheep hunts but can usually find some sort of grass and just remove the obvious rocks.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have one for my allak, I use it sometimes but not always. It adds another pound or so to an already heavy tent.

OP
NorthernAK
Thanks guys. I'd heard the tub floor on Hillebergs was more robust. I got a scouting trip planned for this weekend. Think I'll leave it home. I think the one I got is around 12 oz or so.

fatbacks

WKR
I use the footprint for my Nallo and always think it is worth it. Sheep country tends to be rocky and those rocks punish even the toughest of fabrics.

Beendare

WKR
I can tell that years of forest floor duff is not very hard on my tent floors....but granite and sandy gravel is. Some of that rock is very abrasive.

One week camped on hard granite/ rock will do a pretty good number on a tent floor.....maybe not make it leak but scuff it up pretty badly.

So it depends. If you can pick your camp spots and setup over that forest floor material....its best. I would bring a footprint in rocky/ sandy conditions.
____

leoni1

FNG
I run a Nallo and have always set the tent up with the footprint. I usually set up camp above tree line in sheep hunts, and find the footprint well worth the extra weight.

Snyd

WKR
Nope. When I bought my Tarra years ago I asked a guy at Hilleberg about them he said... "we never use them"

Hillebergs Kerlon fabric is some stout stuff.

They are heavy enough without a footprint. If you want to baby it, i'd make a polycro footprint so you're only adding 2 or so ounces.