Hilleberg Tents

My hunting partner and I are looking at upgrading to a Hilleberg tent(s). Mostly for sheep hunting in Northern BC in August for the most part. We've been looking at either an Anjan 3 GT, Nallo 3 GT or 2 Aktos. Just wondering if people who have experience with these could weigh in on the pros/cons of the tents? Thanks in advance.

sneaky

"DADDY"
How tall are you guys? I can't do any of the sloped rear Hille tents because my feet are against the rear wall and I can't stand that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have a Nallo 3 regular, it has functioned well for the few times I've used it. Rained pretty good on us last fall and nary a leak but a mouse chewed or scratched a hole through the inner tent one day. Only issue was water on the door when opening it would fall in on gear in vestibule. The GT version would stop that no problem.

OP
B
I have a Nallo 3 regular, it has functioned well for the few times I've used it. Rained pretty good on us last fall and nary a leak but a mouse chewed or scratched a hole through the inner tent one day. Only issue was water on the door when opening it would fall in on gear in vestibule. The GT version would stop that no problem.
Thanks for the info!

Dwest910

FNG
I have the Kaitum 2. Had it up in the Wilmore (Alberta) for the last 10 days of sheep season. We had everything from rain to snow (a lot!) and it was unreal.

Attachments

• 001C46F7-F258-4593-9581-51922EA97BCB.jpeg
    001C46F7-F258-4593-9581-51922EA97BCB.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 210

Graves14

WKR
I had an Akto for 2 years and i think it is the best one man tent I’ve ever used. I now have a Niak that pulls double duty as a solo tent and for both of us when my wife wants to come.
In your situation, I always lean towards having my own shelter for hunts rather than sharing one.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I bought an allak 2 after getting smoked by the rain in 2018.

pros:
-bomb proof
-2 vestibules
-can remove the inner tent and have a bombproof floorless dome

cons:
-it’s heavy, 7lbs
-it’s small, no way would I want to share it with another adult male, even with my small wife it’s small

jeffpg

WKR
I had an Akto for 2 years and i think it is the best one man tent I’ve ever used. I now have a Niak that pulls double duty as a solo tent and for both of us when my wife wants to come.
In your situation, I always lean towards having my own shelter for hunts rather than sharing one.
I do love my Akto but as I have aged I have the desire to try the Niak. It seems like the perfect compromise for a bit more room to stretch out.

Graves14

WKR
I do love my Akto but as I have aged I have the desire to try the Niak. It seems like the perfect compromise for a bit more room to stretch out.

what I like better is the freestanding design. Makes it much easier to find a place to pitch it and yes it definitely has more space than the Akto. I’d say it’s more of a 1.5 man tent than a 2 man. As in it’s perfect to share with my wife butI wouldn’t want to share it with another 200lb dude.

I got the Nallo 3GT because of needing a shelter for 2 people & gear. It'll be fine for that but definitely wouldn't go any smaller.
At 7 lbs it's a little heavy but split between 2 guys it's not that bad.
I like the flexibility of removing the inner tent & using as a lighter floorless shelter
One potential negative is that it pitches long (a little over 13') so it might be challenging to find a perfect spot on a hillside

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
Bombproof for the weight. I used the nallo 3gt for multi day mountaineering trips and they endured every kind of weather and were left pitched at fixed camps for a week or two at a time. They quickly replaced the traditional 4 season mtn hardwear and north face dome tents as they were much more livable in bad weather with that huge vestibule to cook in and kill time, plus they weighed less. As stated before they are long and require strong stake placements to lock them down, not too much different than a floorless tipi...

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I wouldn’t mind giving the unna a try, seems like it’s a good size for a solo tent thats not super cramped. Only downside is there isn’t a vestibule.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I set up an Unna alongside a Soulo and ended up with the Soulo. Run the Soulo without the inner and its pretty roomy and more bomber than the Unna.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
I have a Nallo 3 GT that I've used and abused in Colo, Wyo, and Alaska. I really like the design and roominess. The vestibule is fantastic for gear plus cooking. I've had mine in wind, rain, and fairly deep snow. You can't beat the steep walls which allow more useable floor space.

The Anjan is almost identical but is slightly lighter material and the fly doesn't go completely to the ground. The Anjan has better ventilation than the Nallo. The Nallo would likely be a bit better for areas with lots of rain and snow.

I use the fly alone and in situations where I want to go ultra-light and less bulk. I often bring along thin painters plastic for a floor. The fly used by itself is bomber=proof and has worked extremely well when I want a mobile, light camp setup. I've used it this way in Alaska as well as this year on a Colo bighorn hunt.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I ran the Soulo for a while. It was just more tent than I needed since I ran floorless + stove when it cooled off. I bought a Niak and have never looked back. Big enough for a person and gear, or 2 people if you really have to/want to. 2 sleeping pads fit side by side well. For a freestanding summer/early fall tent I think the Niak is hard to beat