Hilleberg Tents

I have a Nallo 2 and its honestly bombproof. Its been exposed to torrential downpours, 60mph winds, dime sized hail and wet snow. Sheds snow great so the tent doesn't sag. Held up like a champ and kept me comfortable in all conditions. As is well documented with Hillebergs, condensation in warm climates is the only downside but keeping the vent opens and pointing into the wind helps minimize this.

As has been mentioned, I agree its a palace for one person but my hunting partner (6'0" ish) and I (5'9") spent 7 nights in it together just fine. Was definitely a little cramped, especially with our gear piled in the mini vestibule, but worked out for us.

I know there are lighter tents out there, but I'm not planning on replacing it any time soon. I have to much trust/confidence in it.

Love my Nallo 4 GT. I got the 4 because my old Navy buddy and I are both old and gimpy. Having a bit more room definitely helps. He has an artificial leg and I have a knee that looks like a mail bomb hit it. Anyone who hasn't dealt with an amputee would likely be shocked at what it takes to stay clean and healthy away from home. 7.6lbs with 13 stakes, so heavy but not silly heavy. Worth the weight for all the room to us, but for two normal guys a 2 would work and a 3 would be a palace.

I just bought a Anjan 3 for me and my hunting partner to use here in AK for sheep. Hilleberg's 3 season tents are alot more bombproof then most other 4 season tents. The GT model was intriguing but I ultimately went with weight more in mind. Kodiak, AK weather will definitely not be seeing my Anjan though haha.

Last edited:

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to add my one complaint with the Hilleberg Rogen. The lower guyline attachment for the vestibule is on the wrong side (short side) of the vestibule. The short side will roll up and secure nicely with the loop and toggle. The location of the loop and toggle on the long side doesn't actually end up securing the material no matter how I try to roll or fold it up. Maybe I'm just retarded, but it always ends up looking like the picture.20200403_145954.jpg
If the lower guyline attachment point was on the other side of the zipper or the loop and toggle were moved closer to centerline this would solve the issue.

I'm going to add my one complaint with the Hilleberg Rogen. The lower guyline attachment for the vestibule is on the wrong side (short side) of the vestibule. The short side will roll up and secure nicely with the loop and toggle. The location of the loop and toggle on the long side doesn't actually end up securing the material no matter how I try to roll or fold it up. Maybe I'm just retarded, but it always ends up looking like the picture.View attachment 168129
If the lower guyline attachment point was on the other side of the zipper or the loop and toggle were moved closer to centerline this would solve the issue.

I think this has been confusing to many people. But when I saw many photos of people in the field with nice looking long side doors rolled up, I figured there must be some technique to it. And then I found this:

I only found it because I have a bit of a crush on Petra Hilleberg, so I have seen many of her videos and seen her demonstrate how to fold doors in many of them. :sneaky: I learned a great deal about how to use my Nallo 4 GT from her.

Last edited:

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
I have always wanted a hilleberg but they don’t have a dealer in Canada. I ended up buying a fjallraven which is a very similar design and comes from Sweden also

Have had the Nallo 3GT ... worked flawlessly for 2 people. Last sheep hunt my partner and I spent 2.5 days in howling wind and rain and other than going a little stir-crazy, we were comfortable and dry. A "bomber" tent for sure ...

I have the Anjan 3 GT. It is great for 2, without rubbing shoulders. I’d recommend the GT vestibule. When you run into bad weather, it’s really nice. I would only step up to the Nallo of you’ll see significant snow. The Anjan has good ventilation, and condensation has been a non issue. I’ve had it in high winds, it’s a rock.

When splitting between 2 guys, the inner and outer tent is 59oz, and stakes and poles are 23oz.

CO-AJ

WKR
Hille makes a great product. I decided not to purchase due to weight. Im not interested in a 1 person tent as I like to keep the other thousands of dollars worth of gear inside. Plus I was not going to pitch a tent above timberline in December, so I elected to go the tipi route and can add a stove.

I’ve got a nammatj 2 Gt. It’s ok for 2 guys with the vestibule for gear but is tight. Condensation isn’t really an issue due to the inner tent but sometime can be substantial in the vestibule. They are bomb proof and handle the elements with ease. I have recently been aquatinted with floorless tents with headroom and a stove which is a total gamechanger. Nothing like being able to walk into your tent to dry off and get warm while being the same weight as the berg.

wolfpup

FNG
I just ordered a Nallo 3GT for my upcoming moose hunt after reading through this thread and some others on here. Hoping I didn't make a mistake. Was torn between a kuiu storm star, stone glacier skyscraper, and there's sooooooo many Hillebergs to choose from. Still looking for a hunting partner so it'll work for 2. And if it ends up just being me, I'll have lots of room. Do you guys usually use the footprint?

I just ordered a Nallo 3GT for my upcoming moose hunt after reading through this thread and some others on here. Hoping I didn't make a mistake. Was torn between a kuiu storm star, stone glacier skyscraper, and there's sooooooo many Hillebergs to choose from. Still looking for a hunting partner so it'll work for 2. And if it ends up just being me, I'll have lots of room. Do you guys usually use the footprint?

Depends on what the ground looks like and whether or not I'm trying to cut weight. If the area is rough then yes. If I dont feel like adding the weight and the area is nice then no. If I think it is going to be wet than yes, mostly to keep my junk in the vestibule off the ground.

Yes to footprint, I leave it fastened to the tent.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yes, I leave my footprint attached all the time.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I use the footprint on mine, if weight is a concern, I’m probably not taking my hilleberg anyways.

I ran the Soulo for a while. It was just more tent than I needed since I ran floorless + stove when it cooled off. I bought a Niak and have never looked back. Big enough for a person and gear, or 2 people if you really have to/want to. 2 sleeping pads fit side by side well. For a freestanding summer/early fall tent I think the Niak is hard to beat
Jordan, how was the vestibule space in the Soulo compared to the Niak? I have it narrowed down to these two tents.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jordan, how was the vestibule space in the Soulo compared to the Niak? I have it narrowed down to these two tents.

The Niak has a little bit more space I think but it’s definitely more versatile. You can stake it back so you basically don’t have a vestibule which is really nice if your packing up the inside. The Soulo has 3 poles, one that goes over the middle sideways, so you can’t eliminate the vestibule if you wanted. I haven’t looked back with the Niak!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
What kind of weather are you looking to encounter? That would be my first thought on deciding which tent to purchase. The Niak and Soulo are aimed at two completely different end users. Cold, nasty weather...Soulo. Early season and milder weather... the Niak. I still regret selling my Soulo.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thats exactly my thought when picking a tent.
When, where and what conditions will you encounter. If it’s a fly in with a remote chance of seeing any snow I’d be packing a red label tent personally.

I may have to look into getting a mesh inner tent for my Akto