Hilleberg vs Others

Doing a lot of research I’ve noticed that the materials used by Hilleberg is leaps and bounds above msr, big Agnes, Kuiu, Nemo. Especially the water ratings. Most of the floor specs are 1500-2000mm. Hilleberg is 15k-20k. So my questions is besides price, why would anyone buy anything but a hilleberg?

Last edited:

Hockley

FNG
Doing a lot of research I’ve noticed that the materials used by Hilleberg is leaps and bounds above msr, big Agnes, Kuiu, Nemo. Especially the water ratings. Most of the floor specs are 1500-2000mm. Hilleberg is 15k-20k. So my questions is besides price, why would anyone buy anything but a hilleberg

I’ve been thinking the same thing! Wish I would bought one!

Deere83

Lil-Rokslider
I have a msr tent and a Kuiu tent that are lighter than my hilleberg akto, but they haven’t left the closet since getting a hille.

Skull10

WKR
I love the Soulo I have now. Trying to sell it to get a Hillenberg Niak. Cant seem to get the Soulo sold yet.🤔

Just don't need a four season for early Archery season in Colorado or the NC winters.

These things are bomb proof

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Weight is another reason.
I have several Hillebergs and love them but they don't get used on summer scouting trips or hunts in August and September when I know the conditions are not going to get cold and snowy.
The weight saving can be large. I do love the Hilleberg though.

EastMT

WKR
As a compromise between weight and strength, the Anjan is pretty solid. I think the anjan 2 is 3lb 15oz with everything. Only a few oz more for 3 person, if you watch every sale board you can find you can find any of the used tents for 400-500, I missed a nallo 3 on eBay last year for $360, I didn’t need it but I woulda took it for that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
So, which one of these tents is the best 3-4 season 2 man (for one man) that can be set with fly and footprint only as well as with tent?

Thanks.

OP
G
The water rating on the fly is right around 1000 mm. I don't know what the rating is on the floor.
The Nammatj has a 5500 hydrostatic and the floor is 20k. I have a hard time thinking anything can come close to these specs. 1000mm is comparable to msr or big Agnes.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The Nammatj has a 5500 hydrostatic and the floor is 20k. I have a hard time thinking anything can come close to these specs. 1000mm is comparable to msr or big Agnes.
That Warmlite will still be standing when those others are blown off the mountain. Every review starts off with "I thought it looked really flimsy, we went through 70mph winds and it never budged".

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Graves14

WKR
So, which one of these tents is the best 3-4 season 2 man (for one man) that can be set with fly and footprint only as well as with tent?

Thanks.

The enan or Akto would be my choice. They are 1 man tents that are actually big enough for 1 man and gear comfortably. I run mine with a footprint/fly setup most of the time and get even more room out of it.

All things being equal, I can see where you’re coming from, but all things aren’t equal. It’s not just the one single factor of HH, that makes the tent, or that makes it better at shedding water. Materials, tent design, and the overall construction are a few more considerations.
https://www.intentsoutdoors.co.nz/b...derstanding-waterproof-ratings-at-a-tent-sale
I have no dog in this fight and I’m not knocking Hille tents. Hilleberg makes a great tent, I just think that there is a better option out there, if an extreme weather tent is what you’re looking for, albeit the Warmlite is pricey. Personally I prefer UL floorless DCF shelters for my mountain hunts (I’m too big of a sissy to pack a 4-7 lb tent up into the mountains), but if a more traditional type of tent is what you’re looking for, and being waterproof is your main/only concern, so be it. If just having a super waterproof backpacking tent is priority one, you may also want to look at the MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2 with extreme waterproof coating. They get excellent reviews, are pretty light wt., and retail for around $350. Although, I think their HH is only around 1000 as well.

Got hyped on researching the warmlites last night. Dealbreaker for me would be no vestibule. Would you just throw all your wet stuff and boots in the tub?

Got hyped on researching the warmlites last night. Dealbreaker for me would be no vestibule. Would you just throw all your wet stuff and boots in the tub?

Essentially ya. The “vestibule” is built into the front of the tent so everything is kept inside. That configuration would definitely be a PITA if you were slopping around in mud and climbing into your tent with muddy boots in a downpour. Their design is more focused on mountain climbing/climbers in mind and dealing with heavy snows, high winds, condensation, and all the other issues that tend to go along with mountaineering in winter type conditions. They also do very well in wet conditions, but it’s dealing with very high winds where they really shine. The climbers model is rated for winds up to 160mph (cat 5 hurricane equivalent), and will stay upright, without blowing apart, using only three stakes/anchor points and zero guy lines.