Hilleburg: biting the bullet

OP
HunterMcWaters
I just set up the Nammatj 2 GT for the first time... PHENOMENAL shelter. sure it's big and wont be the go to for ultra light backpack hunts but for a drop camp in Kodiak, i couldn't be happier! Rock solid, well made and plenty of room for gear and (hopefully not) spending lots of time inside riding out bad WX. not cheap, but worth it; ill be confident dry and comfortable!

Congratulations on your new tent!! I've spent nearly 20 years wondering the pacific northwest in 1 hilliberg or another. I've never once had a failure or really any complaints for that matter

Beendare

WKR
I’ve never heard a bad thing about Hillies.

Ive done 5 or 6 DIY drops on Kodiak in various shelters and my Tipi has been the best For shedding wind- which is the #1 factor. 6# inc pole, another 2 for the stove.

This pic is on a MT elk hunt, i dont usually bring the stove on Kodiak- no dry wood.
F795BC77-9E84-490C-92B9-6F247F0638AD.jpeg

Stalker69

WKR
If there's a good possibility of having condensation issues, don't even consider it. Especially if this is going to be a drop camp/base camp type tent. I have heard some horror stories in regards to condensation with some of the Hille tents (can't remember the models), and I would not want to spend 6 days on Kodiak dealing with condensation in my base camp shelter. Have you considered a 4 or 6 person Cabela's Alaskan Guide Dome? They're very well constructed tents and offer a lot more room than what you are considering in a Hille, they're also pretty bomb proof, and you won't have condensation issues. Oh, and the AGD won't set you back $1k either. If you really just want to purchase a Hilleberg, than okay, but I think that there are better options out there for what I think you're looking to do with it. Just my personal opinion.

I have not owned a hilleburg. But I do own a Cabela’s Alaska 8 man. It’s a nice tent as long as it don’t rain or snow. It leaks like a sieve I slept on an air mattress floating a few nights. 4 inches of snow destroyed the original fiberglass poles ( punched holes in tent. A wind puts a “ set “ in the aluminum poles ( that I replaced the fiberglass ones with) that I regularly have to straighten out. I my self will not be buying a Cabela’s tent in the future.

Jimss

WKR
Good choice on your tent! I've used and abused a Nallo 3 GT on quite a few trips in Alaska. The 1 thing I don't like is only 1 side vented. When it's not raining it's possible to leave the vestibule slightly open for more air. One of the trips I was on it rained every day and there were condensation problems but all the other trips I didn't have any condensation problems.'

You'll love the vestibule! It's super nice having all that room to cook, store equipment, dry clothes, etc. It's also nice having almost vertical walls....a lot more usable space!

One thing I do with my nallo is use just the fly and poles with painters plastic for a floor when I want to backpack lighter. The fly on your Nammatja ought to be bomberproof used alone! You loose 1/2 the weight and if you split the weight with another hunter it's pretty nice. There is room to spare when using just the fly!

I would urge you to either buy plastic for a floor or a footprint. Kodiak can be super wet and the footprint also protects your floor.

OP
HunterMcWaters
I have not owned a hilleburg. But I do own a Cabela’s Alaska 8 man. It’s a nice tent as long as it don’t rain or snow. It leaks like a sieve I slept on an air mattress floating a few nights. 4 inches of snow destroyed the original fiberglass poles ( punched holes in tent. A wind puts a “ set “ in the aluminum poles ( that I replaced the fiberglass ones with) that I regularly have to straighten out. I my self will not be buying a Cabela’s tent in the future.
yea, not going to lie, i have lost all faith in pretty much anything from the big box stores :/

OP
HunterMcWaters
Good choice on your tent! I've used and abused a Nallo 3 GT on quite a few trips in Alaska. The 1 thing I don't like is only 1 side vented. When it's not raining it's possible to leave the vestibule slightly open for more air. One of the trips I was on it rained every day and there were condensation problems but all the other trips I didn't have any condensation problems.'

You'll love the vestibule! It's super nice having all that room to cook, store equipment, dry clothes, etc. It's also nice having almost vertical walls....a lot more usable space!

One thing I do with my nallo is use just the fly and poles with painters plastic for a floor when I want to backpack lighter. The fly on your Nammatja ought to be bomberproof used alone! You loose 1/2 the weight and if you split the weight with another hunter it's pretty nice. There is room to spare when using just the fly!

I would urge you to either buy plastic for a floor or a footprint. Kodiak can be super wet and the footprint also protects your floor.
thanks man!

yea, the nammatj has 2 vents, one in the tent and one in the vestibule, so it should be better with condensation.

and i am way ahead of you ;) ordered a footprint with the tent!

Is this the tent that failed on you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stalker69

WKR
Yes it is. Mine filled up so much the water was running out over the bottom of the door. My air mattress was literally floating ( when I wasn’t on it) sleeping if I rolled to one side to far I would get soaked, it sucked. Then the time The snow collapsed the tent during the night, we thought a tree fell on us. It was 4” of wet snow is all. Broke poles, punctured tent. Then another trip I had replaced the broken fiberglass poles with their aluminum pole set, and the wind was as bad or worse then that video, and they were ( still are somewhat ) bent Badly. Luckily we had our vehicles close buy, or it would have been horrible.

Last edited:

JakeShmevans

Lil-Rokslider
I can't speak for those two models as I have the Soulo and the Allak but you can rest assured that you'll be getting a quality tent.
Ozy, How do you like each of these? I have been looking at both and am unsure which to go with.

ozyclint

WKR
I really like the both of them for their freestanding ability. finding a footprint for a tent can be very difficult where I use them in New Zealand let alone finding a site that will allow proper pitching of something that relies on the pegs and ropes to hold it up.

good ventilation in both.
Your choice really only boils down to whether you need a 1 or 2 man shelter.

Mansfield Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Anyone interested in a Hilleberg tent should consider a look at Tentipi as well before making a final decision. Both are legendary Swedish tent makers known for making extremely high-quality tents.

Hilleberg and Tentipi are competitors for sure, but friendly ones, using many of the same materials etc. The primary difference? Helle believes in their tunnel shape while Tentipi believes the tipi shape offers better wind stability and better headroom inside.

As this forum’s sponsor, Mansfield Outdoors offers the full range of Tentipi Adventure Products and we encourage anyone looking at a Hilleberg to compare with their Swedish neighbor Tentipi as well. Take a look at them here - https://www.mansfieldoutdoors.com/

Questions? Give us a call, 425-501-7512.

docdb

Lil-Rokslider
If there's a good possibility of having condensation issues, don't even consider it. Especially if this is going to be a drop camp/base camp type tent. I have heard some horror stories in regards to condensation with some of the Hille tents (can't remember the models), and I would not want to spend 6 days on Kodiak dealing with condensation in my base camp shelter. Have you considered a 4 or 6 person Cabela's Alaskan Guide Dome? They're very well constructed tents and offer a lot more room than what you are considering in a Hille, they're also pretty bomb proof, and you won't have condensation issues. Oh, and the AGD won't set you back $1k either. If you really just want to purchase a Hilleberg, than okay, but I think that there are better options out there for what I think you're looking to do with it. Just my personal opinion.
had one of those Cabelas Guide Tent blow flat on me in the wind near Kotzebue once......hard to forget that. With that said, I've never stressed a shelter the way that one was stress that night