Himalayan Snowcock Hunt (Pic Heavy)

NVCHUKAR

WKR
I thought I would share my 2013 hunt. Growing up in Nevada allowed me to have the opportunity to hunt this rare bird in my backyard. For those that don't know it is basically like hunting a chukar on steriods. They like to live above 10K, the Ruby MTNs and East Humboldts are pretty much the only place you can hunt them unless you travel to the Himalayas. I have been chasing this bird for the last five years with a couple of opportunities that didn't pan out. This year was a different story as I finally bagged on of these elusive buggers.

Here is some of the terrain that they like to live in.

URL=http://s741.photobucket.com/user/755canal/media/P1000647_zpscee4dd75.jpg.html]
P1000647_zpscee4dd75.jpg
[/URL]

Day 1 this year was frustrating, I hiked about 15miles over the different mountain tops in the photos above. I was chasing after several groups that would fly when I got within 150 yards of them.

As usual I could get closer to these guys than I could the birds.

Day 2 was spent hiking back up to the tops about a 3000 foot climb in elevation. Listening to their bugle at sunrise guiding me in their general direction. I spent all morning hiking with no luck. I decided to sit down and eat some lunch and regroup. Luck was on my side, while i was sitting down I spotted a lone bird working its way back up to the peaks. I cut him off and had an easy shot.

Here is my first snowcock.

OP
NVCHUKAR

NVCHUKAR

WKR
The pictures don't do this country justice but you guys all know what its like to be on top of the world by yourself.

Here is my lab upset not understanding why I am bringing home birds without her.

I recomend to anyone that has the time and desire to go after one of these. They aren't easy to come by and you will do a lot of hiking asking yourself why in the world you would do this for a stupid bird. In the end its worth it and I plan to punish myself again next year.

Awesome pics. I love going into the rubies they are seriously cool. Just to hike them is impressive. Going to try to find some birds this year.

Rizzy

WKR
Thats a great hunt! Chuckar will be child's play now.
Do those birds flush wild or is it the terrain that's more the challenge.

OP
NVCHUKAR

NVCHUKAR

WKR
They flush pretty wild most of the time. The problem is they are always above you and walking up those rock slides just takes too much time. They freak out and fly, but if you can catch a group on the opposite side of the ridge or better yet catch one feeding you have a chance.

Ray

WKR
In 1980 we were deer hunting west of Elko. West from Mountain City. We had climbed about 3/4 of the way up a mountain following two small bucks in the quakies.

I headed down a brushy draw to see if deer would bust out, and what I swear at the time was a turkey flushed from under my feet.

Back then we had never heard of snowcocks. But soon learned of the stocking program. Pretty cool bird.

60x

WKR
That is awesome! That sounds like an epic adventure. The pics are beautiful

Dave

vegas hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations! Thanks for the pics. I want to hunt bigger bucks than the Rubies have but those mtns just keep drawing me back. What a beautiful place.

OP
NVCHUKAR

NVCHUKAR

WKR
In general they are quite a bit larger than a blue grouse, at least the blues in Nevada. I would say a full on adult snowcock is closer to a sage grouse. Yeah you have to use a shotgun or else i could kill some every year. Yeah the 10 deer herd is being pushed hard with all of those early rifle tags now, there are still some really nice bucks but they don't show themselves until after the season.

Doc06

FNG
I have done a little research on this hunt....just hard to go kill a bird without the dogs. Definitely an accomplishment though. Congrats!

OP
NVCHUKAR

NVCHUKAR

WKR
It's fun even if you only get to see them. Velvetfvr you are young you should go after one of these.

amp713

WKR
Might have to try that one day!!! I think utah should get on board and get some here!

JWP58

WKR
I don't know how I missed this post! Snowcock is on my bucket list for sure. I hope the chukar hatch was good this year in NV.