hinchinbrook and montague island

sniper61

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone ever hunt on these islands . Will be doing a boat based hunt mid to late October. Looking to do it all deer, duck, fishing and looking for a big bear. Would like to hear your experience with the area. Thanks to all.

NUGGET

WKR
Yep I’ve hunted both. Have you heard how the deer numbers are doing after last winter?

Wouldn’t be my first choice if bear is a priority. Look at bears more as bycatch on a hunt like that.

Fun hunt! I haven’t decided if I’m going this year or not.

Bring your XtraTuffs. Right now, it's blowing Force 9 with 16 foot seas outside, a mellower 10 foot inside Seal Rocks, and it's raining hard...Just another day in the GOA.
There's roads and trails and cabins all over Montague, and places to get out of the wind. It doesn't always blow like hell in October, I've been in PWS in November in a tshirt - but it can really get nautical when it does.
You might just find a big ol brown bear regardless - this time of year all they want is food and they don't care about much else.
The 50-mile flight from Montague to Seward is a famous plane trap. It's easy enough for a underpowered plane near gross to ice in the marine mountain conditions, and not be able to climb out of it.

The outside beaches of Montague are a vast treasure trove of marine debris, and Beachcomber's Heaven. Esp after this storm cycle.
The ducks will be epic, so make sure you have a good bird taxidermist lined up!

Last edited:
OP
S

sniper61

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. will be hunting out of a 75' boat . Any fish to be caught at that time of year?

Tinsman

FNG
Seen a few big bears flying past those two Hinchinbrook use to be where the nuisance bears were taken. Maybe not anymore, but that was bad bear island.

The biggest bears I've ever seen were on Hinchinbrook at Nuuciq. I've probably seen about 20 of them over the years near the lagoon side of the spit on the west part of the island. The halibut have been great between the two islands in my experience. Always had good luck with deer on both islands as well. Good luck to you