Hinge Release

Jimbob

WKR
If you are wondering about a hinge release then go for it. I was on the fence and kind of reluctantly went for it and now I am so happy.

I am a pretty good shot and have been at it for 15+ years, shot a bunch of competitions, and did pretty good. I studied everything with form and worked on my bow and felt pretty knowledgable. I NEVER thought I had target panic cause I was good. I have high expectations for myself and was just not meeting them this spring so went to a hinge.

Well, I definitely had target panic and was punching my release (carter 2shot and quickie+). The hinge forces you to aim aim aim, if you try to punch you know it instantly.

I have not even had it for a week but already love it and will hunt with it. Just in case you're on the fence I thought I would share my experience.

nphunter

WKR
I love my hinge, I hunt with a carter simple 1 thumb button and use a carter 2 moons hinge to keep me honest. The hinge is the same size and I can use the same anchor as with my simple 1. I have been shooting a hinge during the offseason for years to keep target panic away or at least minimizing it.

I prefer the thumb for hunting but execute the shot almost exactly the same as with the hinge. I actually have both of my boys shooting hinges and they have been since they were 9 & 12. They are an excellent tool to add to anyone's arsenal.

I have switched to strictly handheld releases. I switched because I was a good shot on targets but on live animals I would hammer the trigger on my carter quickie plus. It took me two full years starting in January 2017 to actually feel comfortable using one to hunt with. 2018 was my first season and I can tell you I will not be going back. I alternate with a thumb and hinge throughout the year to keep myself from picking up on any perceived breaking point. I can aim better and make much better shots on animals.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I shoot. It’s a button and a hinge weekly. The hinge will make you a better button shooter. And if you have to shoot competitions in the wind, the hinge can be very challenging. The same goes if you are on an animal and have to stay at full draw for over a minute. You can’t really relax with the hinge while waiting as it will go bang. So I shoot them both and if I have a day where I struggle with one I shoot the other. Keeps the surprise release a little more of a surprise.

Slim Jim

WKR
I’m actually going to start shooting a hinge. I really like my thumb release but most of the time I feel like I’m commanding the shot. I’ll do what Doug does going back and forth in the off-season and use the thumb for hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
I shot a vegas round in my garage (11 yds) last night and it was night and day difference from last week with my crater 2shot trigger. You can't just rip it off you have to keep aiming.

Shooting on the weekend out in the wind was a challenge for sure. I can just keep the pressure on my thumb and index finger to hold at full draw BUT you can't shoot quickly between wind gusts.