Hinge Set Up & Timing Suggestions

n8saki

FNG
After a bout with target panic, I switched to tension [Silverback] and now a hinge [2Smooth]. I notice that my timing gets longer as the distance increases to the point at times the shot doesn't go off and I let down. Wondering if this in a sense is a form of TP or I'm just aiming too long. Normally happens at 80 yards or more. Should I focus on keeping the same timing or increase the speed of the hinge? When I practice on a string trainer it's faster than with the bow, probably because there's no aiming involved. Any suggestions will be appreciated - there aren't any hinge bow hunter shooters at my local range - everyone shoots wrist rockets or thumb triggers.

Thanks in advance.

Hinge Firing Engine [Padgett Coined Phrase]: Relaxing index while pulling straight back into the wall with my middle finger [2 finger release]

nphunter

WKR
IMO your probably not over your target panic yet. If you can't get the shot to break its because you're focusing too much on the pin and not on the follow through or pulling backward. Padgett has some awesome advice and I have read most of his articles which have helped me a lot over the years. One thing I feel when people start pulling with there finger instead of there back muscles is that they are being triggered by something to start that process, for you it sounds like once you are happy with your pin float you start the firing engine.

What I like to do is start my firing engine once I get my bubble level and pin near the target, once I start my firing engine I focus on pulling backward with my back muscles while staring a hole into the spot I want to hit. I do not pay any attention to the pin. Some times I feel like my shot was horrible but when walking up they are all still acceptable most of the time.

For what it's worth my boys shoot a hinge and use the method you are speaking of to get there bow to fire and I find they still anticipate the shot a lot when pulling with the middle finger or pinky on a four finger. IMO any squeezing of the fingers is too much is like firing a trigger and leads to target panic and forcing the shot, at least that has been what I have noticed.

Last edited:

Gumbo

WKR
I knew from the question you were going to have a 2 Smooth. ^^^^^^This advice is absolutely spot on. I have the three dudley releases (actually 3 Nock2Its, 2 TooSmooths, and 1 Silverback. The only one I really shoot anymore is the Nock2It (used it for 3 years at least). I often do the same thing you do...my timing is perfect on shorter shots but gets longer the farther I shoot (or on high pressure shots) because I am aiming too much and start-stop-start-stop-start pulling with my pin float, but it is getting better. Really bad for accuracy and consistency and it is target panic...different than the panic that forced me to learn the surprise shot, but it is target panic. You just have to commit to the shot and disregard the pin, even in the wind when your bow is blowing all over the place. Your subconscious will put the pin back in place better if you don't focus on it and try to do it yourself. For me, the hinge is simply too much going on in my mind, I like the simplicity of a button for sure...no click to make me jump, I can settle into a consistent anchor with no worry, then rest my thumb on it and pull ever so slightly. The other thing that is really helped me was to get my draw length and stabilizers dialed to minimize float in the first place. But really you just have to commit to pulling and don't stop GRADUALLY increasing pressure no matter what your pin is doing.

OP
N

n8saki

FNG
Thanks for the input, going to incorporate a few of the suggestions here in particular trusting the float and committing to the shot.

Thinking of getting a back bar as well to help stabilize the bow faster.

OP
N

n8saki

FNG
Update:

Staring at hole at the spot and soft aiming has helped, great advice. I’m keeping most of the shots 5 out of 6 at 80 in a paper plate but still have a long way to go. I did increase the speed of the hinge by ‘laying’ it more open. That way I’m not holding more than 5 sec after anchor.

Thinking of running a side stab as I think it will level out the bow faster and have minimal forward dip post shot. Any thoughts on running the side stab?

Thanks