Hinged floor plate for a Tikka

Does anyone make a hinged floor plate type bottom metal for a Tikka T3 so that I could get rid of the detachable magazine?

No. Tikka actions also don't have fees rails in the action, so they have to be fed from a magazine.

Yep...Has to be magazine. It takes some getting used to but I think I actually kind of like the box mags. I can load them up, toss in my bag, and be ready to go in the dark when hunting with less fiddling around.

Macintosh

WKR
I’ll take the mags over a floor plate 10 days a week. I know not everyone feels that way, but there are advantages. Its just part of being a tikka. Are you having a problem with the mags or is it just a familiarity thing, or?

sdupontjr

WKR
I’ll take the mags over a floor plate 10 days a week. I know not everyone feels that way, but there are advantages. Its just part of being a tikka. Are you having a problem with the mags or is it just a familiarity thing, or?
same here. Thats is why I kept and still use my older Browning A-bolt II Medallion. It did have the hinged floor plate, however it also incorporated a mag. I had a custom 308 built on the Rem 700 action and couldn't get use to the bling mag dumping all my ammo on the ground. Now if I could have found a custom setup like my Browning system, I would have kept the Rem 700.

Why in the hell would you get rid of a decent DBM system that you just click a mag in to load or press a button to unload, and can reload much faster for a BDL type system that you have to fiddle **** with top loading, dump your rounds on the ground constantly when unloading, is slow to load, and noisy as shit?

OP
T
Something to loose

Something to loose

Because you can’t depress a button on a BDL bottom metal and lose your rounds that way? You would be hard pressed to accidentally release a mag on a tikka and it’s why you carry a spare just like you’d carry spare ammo for any rifle. Only it’s in a nice convenient little cartridge that snaps in place. You’re overthinking this.

Macintosh

WKR
Have you lost a magazine?

If not, try it before you knock it, and if you actually find yourself losing mags, fine. But having owned all sorts of guns with magazines for many decades I have yet to lose a magazine. Not one, out of at least 30 or 35 mags and a pile of different rifles and pistols.

Imo the risk of losing a magazine out of the rifle is precisely the same as accidentally dumping your floorplate—there are some aftermarket bottom metals that have big release levers that could be an issue, but the oem tikka mag release is very secure. The risk of losing a spare mag is exactly the same as the risk of losing your spare shell wallet. If you havent had a problem with a floorplate or loose shells, you also wont have a problem with magazines. But, you get the benefit of less fiddling, fewer loose things rattling around in pockets, far faster reloads, easier (and faster and probably safer if you have a ADL) unloads.

sdupontjr

WKR
The only thing that I have noticed is that on my Tikka 7mag, the mag snaps in and doesn't come out unless released, but once it's snapped in, it has some play. You can depress it a little more but springs back to the mag release button. Has about 1/8" play but cycles ammo like butter so I don't worry about it. It could be the mag itself. I never really thought about it until this post, but I could take the mag out of my 308 and try it juts to see if there is any play. But as far as coming or falling out, I hunt very thick timber and my gun rubs brush going to my stand in some places. never had an issues of it falling out.

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
Me and my gunsmith buddy got to talking about just this same thing. Haven’t gotten around to it, but a SA M70 floorplate has about the same screw spacing…
IMG_8433.jpeg

Cut some feed lips and the top off of the action and you got something you can work with.

I wouldn't worry about losing the magazine. It really ought never be separated from the rifle except under specific circumstances and even then not for any length of time.

The free fix to this is a strip of tape across the bottom of the action to hold the magazine in. Double and end over so you have a tab of tape to peel off with.

I had the same concern as a cut my teeth on a 700 platform with floor plate.

Years ago I lost a loaded tikka mag on a hunt, assuming i depressed the mag release on accident. A few years later I found a loaded tikka mag in the middle of nowhere in a mountain range (not mine). Had to chuckle a bit.

Since then, I take the plastic mag release lever out of the bottom metal and file it down to a nub, basically flush with the bottom serface, still functions fine, almost impossible to accidently hit now.