Hip belt adjustments and shoulder straps on Timberline

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
I've been backpacking my entire life and one thing that has always given me problems is my hipbelt rubbing on the front of my hips. The belt is very tight and snug, but for some anatomical reason there is alot of pressure on the front portion of my hip bones. Over the years, I've experimented with different packs, belts, shoulder suspension systems, pants, shorts, underwear, and made different adustments...but the only solution to solve this problem has been to wear the hip belt a little higher than usually recommended.

Depending on the weight of the pack, the buckle is usually a little above my belly button. However, if the pack is 50 lbs or more there is pressure on my collar bones. I've played with the load adjusters and straps on all my packs, but I have not had much success. The straps are not even touching the top of my shoulders, just the front near my collar bones. I feel the both shoulder straps need lowered 1-2 inches so a little of that wieght can be transfered from my collar bones to the top of my shoulders. It does not cause severe pain, but after 5 days on a trail it gets pretty old.

Any advice???? My Timberline is the regular frame, not a duplex.

Lawnboi

WKR
My advice is to play around. Learn the suspension and take a day to play with different settings. I too have very sharp hip bones... other packs would leave my hips bleeding. Once I got my T1 set where i like it I have not had a single problem. I tend to ride mine just a little higher like you said and i havnt had a problem doing that.

I like to keep a little weight on my shoulders, a tolerable amount. They say most of the weight should go to your hips.... not all. By adding a little more pressure to my shoulders i tend to feel that feeling of being squeezed around the collar bones let off a little bit. Its all about playing around with it. Youv got the pack, now you just have to find your sweet spot.

slim9300

WKR
I've been backpacking my entire life and one thing that has always given me problems is my hipbelt rubbing on the front of my hips. The belt is very tight and snug, but for some anatomical reason there is alot of pressure on the front portion of my hip bones. Over the years, I've experimented with different packs, belts, shoulder suspension systems, pants, shorts, underwear, and made different adustments...but the only solution to solve this problem has been to wear the hip belt a little higher than usually recommended.

Depending on the weight of the pack, the buckle is usually a little above my belly button. However, if the pack is 50 lbs or more there is pressure on my collar bones. I've played with the load adjusters and straps on all my packs, but I have not had much success. The straps are not even touching the top of my shoulders, just the front near my collar bones. I feel the both shoulder straps need lowered 1-2 inches so a little of that wieght can be transfered from my collar bones to the top of my shoulders. It does not cause severe pain, but after 5 days on a trail it gets pretty old.

Any advice???? My Timberline is the regular frame, not a duplex.

I wear my T1 pack exactly like you describe. You need to tighten your hip belt up more and learn to get used to the feeling that your stomach is getting squeezed. After the hip belt is tightened, you need to loosen your shoulder straps about 1" to 0.5" and THEN synch up the load lifters (which were totally slack up until this point). This will put the pressure more on your pecks then your collar bones and at the same time lighten the load by putting more of the weight on you hips kind of like it's "floating." This allow the stays to do their job and support the load. You do not want pressure on the tops of your shoulders. It's not the way to go.

Here's a quote from another thread that is going to be repetitive but just in case I missed something I'll post it here...

I thought the same thing with my Timberline until I realized I couldn't wear it like every other pack I have had. I have zero ass myself. I'm 6' 2" and 175 lbs with a 21" torso. You need to watch the videos of Patrick and replicate what he is doing. I like the hip belt about 2" higher than he does (helps with having no ass) and then I did everything else exactly the same. This put the buckle just a tad over center on my belly button and the pads 2/3 over the points of my hips bones. (You will need to get used to the hip belt sucking in your stomach big time and seemingly limiting your "air.") Plus, I needed more curvature in the upper part of my stays to not get rubbing with a full pack on my shoulder blades. The DT I assume deals with barreling better though.

The most important things that Patrick says in the video: loosen all the straps (especially the load lifters) before you shoulder the pack. Next, get the shoulder straps tight and where you like them, then synch the hip belt down tight to the point that it feels like your hips and the pack are one. (see my notes above for my preferred hip belt placement) NOW, loosen the shoulder straps about 1" and THEN tighten up the 2 load lifter straps. This method took me some getting used to but it's far and away the most effective method to carry a pack there is. It will feel like there is basically zero pressure on the tops of your shoulders, decent pressure on your pecks and the load balancing on your hips. The load should feel like going from 50 lbs. pulling on your shoulders to 30 lbs. balancing on your hips. If you aren't using the pack like this you might as well return it in my opinion.

I am also guessing that you need to get the pack much higher in general. Mine came from Kifaru comfortable for light loads but way to low once loaded up.

slim9300

WKR
My advice is to play around. Learn the suspension and take a day to play with different settings. I too have very sharp hip bones... other packs would leave my hips bleeding. Once I got my T1 set where i like it I have not had a single problem. I tend to ride mine just a little higher like you said and i havnt had a problem doing that.

I like to keep a little weight on my shoulders, a tolerable amount. They say most of the weight should go to your hips.... not all. By adding a little more pressure to my shoulders i tend to feel that feeling of being squeezed around the collar bones let off a little bit. Its all about playing around with it. Youv got the pack, now you just have to find your sweet spot.

This is sound advice too.

OP
R

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
I adjusted the shoulder straps lower, basically to make up for wearing my pack up high. I'll do a quick day hike with 40 lbs. this weekend and see how it works.