Hip boots for moose hunt

Thess87

WKR
I took lacrosse traplines. They did great but they are heavy. My partner had Simms with hiking boots and at times I was kinda jealous.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
waterrat...WTF! I bet those dogs look like road kill after a sheep ascent in hippers! Daaang ol' school

Breathable waders by far more comfortable, packable, effective. Hip boots are for float pilots and tourists- and old farts who are set in their ways 😂

VernAK

WKR
Fifty years ago, hip boots were the norm for much Alaska hunting but we had a good hip boot on the market at that time and it's never been matched since. I'm trying to remember the brand and name......very lightweight canvas top with knob soles on a very pliable foot......I'll think of it in a bit....

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
What’s funny, the only local Alaskans I know that use hip waders are new guys. Knee high rubber boots or chest waders. That’s it.

I agree...although I do see hip boots on many of the float pilots.

When I go moose hunting each year, I'm on a drop hunt, living out of a tent for at least two weeks. Where I go moose hunting can get really, really wet, so I always bring chest waders (Simms) AND knee high insulated rubber boots (Lacrosse). I always end-up needing and wearing each of them at different points during the hunt...probably 80/20 knee highs/chest waders. I haven't worn hip boots for twenty years.

Hey Vern...when I first moved to Alaska thirty years ago I had a pair of hip boots like you describe. Mine were Lacrosse.

Last edited:

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There have been too many instances where I wanted to cross a creek early on when i wore hip boots, and either got wet doing it or couldn't cross. I don't have that concern now, nor do i take rain pants because i live in breathable chest waders rolled to my waist. Warmth, dryness, utility and efficiency rules in the backcountry.

I vote chest waders unless the scenario is benign and wading is kept to shallows.

Plus, and this is a huge perk...putting on a pair of wet-on-the-inside hippers that froze all night to start your day is total bullshit and extremely painful. Instead with wading boots and breathables we simply boil 2 cups of water and dump a cup in each wading boot before you slip them on, then you'll never think of hippers ever again.

Hessticles

Lil-Rokslider
Chest waders are also money while butchering as moose! I looked at the simms which were 5 ply but were too expensive for me, I found some compass 360 waders that are 6 ply for about a 1/3 the cost of simms. They held up great through all the brush and butchering 3 bulls

OP
MtGomer

MtGomer

WKR
Thank you all for the recommendations. Chest waders were what I would have thought I should bring but the outfitter suggests hip boots.
I ordered the Lacrosse Big Chiefs.

wyodog

FNG
Thank you all for the recommendations. Chest waders were what I would have thought I should bring but the outfitter suggests hip boots.
I ordered the Lacrosse Big Chiefs.
I took insulated Big Chiefs and my feet froze for 10 out of 11 days. Plus some of the camps have so much water hip waders are very limiting.

teamr2

FNG
Check out the Simms or patagonia wading pants. Keep your ass dry if you want to sit down and are comfortable enough to play basketball in.