Hip Quiver for Hunting

Vandal 44

WKR
I am thinking about buying a hip quiver for hunt, I would like to know what some of the best ones are on the market. I hunt some really thick and steep country in North Idaho. Just looking to try something a little different (I hunt with a compound)

Rob5589

WKR
Many years ago I tired the hip quiver Chuck Adams promoted/used. The quiver was nice, using a hip quiver sucked. It was constantly caught up on stuff and made maneuvering difficult. I would only use one on wide open hunts like pronghorn or similar. Thick Idaho country, heck no. My 2c, for what it's worth.

Randle

WKR
I have used one for years. I tried one with a leg strap and didn't like the flagging movement when walking so I bought an extra mount for my alpine quiver and made a leather mount with 2 belt loops . that way it drops below a pack belt and no leg strap needed.. it is angled back and glides thru most north idaho brush. I went back to a tight spot on my bow last year but this year I am sticking with the hip mount.
I still have a mount on my bow if needed for storage .

Last edited:

Zac

WKR

MattB

WKR
Just an opinion, but hip quivers and "thick" do not combine well.

Once upon a time a buddy who used one and he and I found a herd of pigs under an oak surrounded by brush. He tried to work in from 3 different directions but could not get through the brush without making a racket due to his hip quiver getting caught in the brush. Just when he was about to quit trying, I told him to take that dumb thing off, grab one arrow, and get in there to kill a pig. Which he did.

Randle

WKR
We have killed alot of elk in our group in North idaho with hip quivers on . Noise is not a problem . we use hip quiver with grippers like a bow quiver not a 3d type quiver or single slot quiver

Jimbob

WKR
I shoot better with my quiver off so I made a very simple belt attachment like Zac provided a link to for my Tightspot.

Quiver stays on the bow then when I go for a stalk I slip off the quiver and add it to my belt. Worked perfectly on my mountain goat hunt and the arrows were right there for a second shot as well.

OP
Vandal 44

Vandal 44

WKR
I appreciate all the replies.

As far as hip quivers in North Idaho I have seen trade archers with hip quiver, I just never asked what type of quivers they use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use to hunt with a hip quiver, some advantages to it, some disadvantages. I never found one that was great, especially with a pack on.

One thing I was always curious about but never tried was the cat quiver. Might be something to look at. I think there's another arrow tube that can be carried on the side of a pack. I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is:

LostArra

WKR
You might check out Farr West Leather. He makes an Absorkee Crossover quiver that can be used without or without a shoulder strap and hooks over any pack belt. I think the original design was Mark Baker's Quiver Caddy that was based on an attachment for a Kwikee. Farr West has refined the concept. I think I have one of Mark's original Quiver Caddy if you happen to have a Kwikee Kwiver and are interested I can dig it out and send a photo.

dkime

WKR
I use to hunt with a hip quiver, some advantages to it, some disadvantages. I never found one that was great, especially with a pack on.

One thing I was always curious about but never tried was the cat quiver. Might be something to look at. I think there's another arrow tube that can be carried on the side of a pack. I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is:

Tom Miranda killed more than Covid with one of these things and he made me want one SO bad watching him do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Vandal 44

Vandal 44

WKR
I just order that Total Peep Hip Quiver, I will let everyone know how it works

I appreciate everyone's feedback

ozyclint

WKR
check out the Marksman Quivers side quiver or hip quiver. they use interchangeable modular parts so you can cost effectively have multiple types of quivers if you want.

Tradchef

WKR
I used an Adams arrow holster for years hunting with compound. From back home in the Northeast, Midwest and West. Never an issue. It’s not a perfect system for every situation but it works pretty dang good

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
I use one of these from Kifaru for 3D etc. It would work well for hunting too I believe. It holds the arrows at a good angle so that they are not catching on stuff and is very comfortable to wear.

I loved a hip quiver for years. Until I started hunting with a pack on. Shoulder issues have me thinking about going back to one to lighten the bow up more.

That total peep system is something I’ve been wanting to check out. I’d really like to hear people’s feedback on it.

OP
Vandal 44

Vandal 44

WKR
I loved a hip quiver for years. Until I started hunting with a pack on. Shoulder issues have me thinking about going back to one to lighten the bow up more.

That total peep system is something I’ve been wanting to check out. I’d really like to hear people’s feedback on it.
My shoulders are in bad shape that's why I am looking into the hip quiver.

A few people asked about the Total Peep System, I have been messing with mine for a little bit. I think the concept is very good. It something that would work well if a person was using a Tight Spot Quiver, it works ok with the Quivalizer from Option Archery. It can be a little cumbersome taking the quiver off the bow and trying to attach the quiver to the Total Peep. The Total Peep Hip Mount does not work very well with the Kifaru hip belt, it does work a lot better with the EXO hip belt

I have the Kifaru Hip Quiver and have been messing around with that as well. I will take some picture of how I plan on testing that setup, maybe tomorrow if I have time.

I'll try to add a picture of my hip quiver. Used it for a few Colorado elk hunts, but ultimately retired it. I found the quiver to be fiddly when sitting down, but not too much of a problem walking around. I'd be willing to sell to someone that wants to check on out. I'll try to add pictures tomorrow. Not sure if mine is a Chuck Adams or something else - lots of leather and leather leg strap. I was always concerned about doing a Chuck Adams; having an arrow fall out and then walking into it, so I often doubled up on protection to hold the arrows in place. I also used fletching mostly and never had a problem with the arrows. Colorado at 10,000 feet isn't all that thick though.

OP
Vandal 44

Vandal 44

WKR
I set up the Kifaru Quiver this morning with my Kifaru Duplex Frame. I an not sure how I have it attached will be the most secure for how I plan to use it.

First off many people know that it would not be a good idea to put your arrows tipped with broadheads in this quiver. If you do not know well you do now (I do not recommend that you put your arrows tipped with broadheads in the Kifaru Quiver Pouch)

I only have two quivers Mathews Web 6 arrow quiver and the Option Quivalizer. I loaded up both quivers with arrows, both quiver fit nicely in the Kifaru Quiver Pouch and it easy to retrieve the arrows tipped with the Valkyrie Blood Eagle and the Valkyrie Jagger. If you are using a broadhead that is sharp on the back of the broadhead something like Iron-Will, Magnus Stinger / Buzz Cut, QAD Exodus Swept Back and the Ram-cat this set up might not work very well. I could see the broadhead getting hung up on the material of the Kifaru Quiver Pouch

The Quivalizer is a better fit and would be the best option if I was hunting open terrain, I think I will use this set up hunting mule deer in central Washington. With the Quivalizer I would hike around with it stuffed into the Kifaru Quiver Pouch from the start of the hunt in the morning to the time my day finished .

The Mathews Web I believe is going to be the best option for the thick and steep terrain I hunt in North Idaho. I would hike around with the Mathews Web attached to the bow and when I get set up to call in the elk, I would detach the quiver and put it in the Kifaru Quiver Pouch

One question that I have heard from several people it sitting down with a hip quiver. The nice thing with either the Quivalizer or the Mathews Web Quiver you can just take the quiver out of the Kifaru Pouch. I had no problem sitting down with the either quiver stuffed in the Kifaru Pouch.

This could be my new set up

Attachments

• Kifaru Quiver 2.jpg
    Kifaru Quiver 2.jpg
    664.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Kifaru 1.jpg
    Kifaru 1.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Kifaru Quiver & Mathews Web.jpg
    Kifaru Quiver & Mathews Web.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Kifaru Quiver & Quivalizer .jpg