Hip Surgery Labrum tear

Garshark

FNG
Hi Im 23 years old and just finished being a d1 athlete. I have known that I had a tear for over 2 years have done pt and cortisone shots. Im wondering how peoples recoveries have been and how successful it has been. Im leaning toward getting the surgery bc it bothers me sometimes and the school will pay for it. But im nervous about the recovery. thoughts from people who have been though it

TheGDog

WKR
Interested in hearing the outcomes others share. Likely have this issue along with Saccral/Lumbar traumas from Moto/MTB

jmez

WKR
My cousin had both hips done. Recovery wasn't bad and she's done fine with both of them. That is a surgery where it is imperative that you get someone experienced that has done a lot of them. A lot of bad outcomes with inexperienced surgeons on those. I would go to Steadman institute in Co if having that done.

OP
Garshark

Garshark

FNG
My cousin had both hips done. Recovery wasn't bad and she's done fine with both of them. That is a surgery where it is imperative that you get someone experienced that has done a lot of them. A lot of bad outcomes with inexperienced surgeons on those. I would go to Steadman institute in Co if having that done.
do you know roughly how long her recovery was? i have read stuff online and talked to 2 people that have had it done and they had very different recovery times

Had my right hip done last year. I’m 30 and in very good shape. I was running 2-4 miles a day in 3 months. And carrying bear bait to my bait station earlier then that. It’s worth getting it done. I had hip pain for 12 years.

jmez

WKR
She was about like Arbowhunter. First week was rough and then progressed pretty quickly after that. Was back to full activity in 3-4 mos.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
I have always been told surgery should always be the last resort in any scenario. While yours would likely be good, they can also be really bad.

Good luck,

Eddie

Billinsd

WKR
The hip replacement can last up to 25 years depending on what you do. I'm 58 and worried about it wearing out too soon, because I'm so active. I understand your can get your hip replaced twice, then they fuse it. Also couldn't you try and get the tear repaired? Good luck Bill

grey12345

FNG
I had hip surgery in 2015, surgeon ended up cutting out a decent size of my labrum. Apparently it was too bad to sew back into place... Years of PT kept me in the game but eventually I hit a brick wall, MRI's showed continued damage. I tried cotizone with no lasting relief. Followed that up with PRP, no success. Eventually I found a military trial for stem cells (2018) and it worked great for a year or two until the grunt type training brought back the daily 5-7 pain. After Ortho recommend a hip replacement, I choose to push for non surgical alternatives, I have come to an end with the military stuff and got bilateral stem cell therapy through a civilian ortho clinic.

It's been 5 months, "life style modification" and said therapy has relieved almost all of my pain. I can still work out and pack out an occasional animal but the ruck WOD's are no longer in my strength plan. If anyone reading this has questions, please feel free to pm me. Long story short, stem cell therapy, through a reputable clinic, worked for me.