Historically Low Alaska Sheep Harvest

Snyd

WKR
That study found evidence to suggest that only during the peak of the snowshoe hare cycle predation rates were high enough to cause population declines. It says nothing about longterm trends, which I think is what Tom L was speaking to.
A population decline in a given year or years will have long term effects no??

The point is, coyotes and eagles are a part of this whole equation and there is little to nothing we can do about it. No way to kill enough of either one to make a difference no matter what the hare population does. So back to my original thought. Would closing sheep hunting state wide for a couple years make a difference? I don't know.

Over the years these conversations come up and when it comes to predation usually we gravitate towards the Big Bad Wolf and not the Majestic Soaring Eagle or the lowly Coyote. Killing a wolf or two won't help sheep population as much as killing an eagle or two would. And of course we can't kill eagles.

If one believes human caused Global Warming (otherwise known as Climate Change) is a driving issue regarding sheep populations then one must admit that if you own or use an airplane to hunt sheep then you are part of the problem we can do something about. Same with F&G using aircraft for research.

We can't kill eagles or enough coyotes but we can stop flying airplanes and helicopters. hmmm, now we've got a conundrum.

Snyd

WKR
I did state that climate/weather is the main driver- What’s the answer to that?
The Green New Deal. Get rid of oil. Net zero emissions by 2030. There's your answer according to our President.

Has anyone designed a battery powered super cub yet?

I’m pretty sure trophy hunting has a minimal effect on overall sheep numbers

How about using Sheep herds in Nat’l parks to supplement the populations elsewhere? Such as the Western Brooks?

My recommendation would be to do everything possible, even the small stuff would add up 🤷🏽‍♂️ But limited time and money and conservative attitudes hinder the way

CodyAK

FNG
Nearly 30 years of intensive predator control in Alaska has done absolutely nothing to turn the tide for Dall sheep. In fact, the statewide population continues to plummet, exponentially. Obviously, predator control isn't the answer, either.
But its certainly something to be balanced with the management plan. You've taken the time to respond to everyone else...... We're still waiting to hear what your solution is.....

As to climate change/adverse weather events my thoughts were to deal with with not on a Global Scale but on a specific targeted response.

Many Game departments DO Supplemental feeding based on conditions. Many game departments DO transplants from high populations to areas of need.

Specifically let’s take a bunch of sheep from the Natl Parks (Denali, Gates) and put them back in the Western Brooks?

So, if weather is the cause of the precipitous decline of Dall sheep in Alaska, and if the current harvest strategy isn't arresting that decline, how do residents of Alaska turn the tide for Dall sheep in terms of changing the current harvest strategy? Bear in mind that there's currently a harvestable surplus out there and will continue to be for at least another 20 years; ergo, opportunity must be allowed under statute. There's an obvious answer out there and I guess it's a question for the politically incorrect sheep biologists out there. The reason I say "politically incorrect", is because the politically correct have kept things status quo the past 35 years.

Last edited:
A population decline in a given year or years will have long term effects no??

The point is, coyotes and eagles are a part of this whole equation and there is little to nothing we can do about it. No way to kill enough of either one to make a difference no matter what the hare population does. So back to my original thought. Would closing sheep hunting state wide for a couple years make a difference? I don't know.

Over the years these conversations come up and when it comes to predation usually we gravitate towards the Big Bad Wolf and not the Majestic Soaring Eagle or the lowly Coyote. Killing a wolf or two won't help sheep population as much as killing an eagle or two would. And of course we can't kill eagles.

If one believes human caused Global Warming (otherwise known as Climate Change) is a driving issue regarding sheep populations then one must admit that if you own or use an airplane to hunt sheep then you are part of the problem we can do something about. Same with F&G using aircraft for research.

We can't kill eagles or enough coyotes but we can stop flying airplanes and helicopters. hmmm, now we've got a conundrum.

I guess it sort of depends on what you consider “long term”. A number of wildlife populations exhibit multi annual cycles in abundance, known as “stable limit cycles”. Generally, they are stable unless there’s a destabilizing force, such as change in food resources, new predator, climate change, etc. Even some caribou herds are thought to cycle with a period of multiple decades (compared to the 8-10 year period of snowshoe hare), but we just haven’t been studying caribou long enough to really understand it. You could probably argue that coyotes are a relatively new predator in the Alaska equation, but sheep and eagles have persisted together here in a delicate balance for a long time.

I am certainly aware that burning avgas isn’t great, but I do lots to reduce my emissions elsewhere in my lifestyle to offset it.

Last edited:

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
Decarbonizing the plant to slow warming. In the UK this week with all time record heat. If warming is not man influenced, then we’re all screwed. If we can reduce footprint, then maybe we can slow all this change. As the ice caps melt, lake effect snow will continue to plague alaska’s ranges. The Yukon and NWT will be in much better shape as the planet warms keeping their sheep populations.
Predator control has never included Golden Eagles

I did state that climate/weather is the main driver- What’s the answer to that?

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
But
That study found evidence to suggest that only during the peak of the snowshoe hare cycle predation rates were high enough to cause population declines. It says nothing about longterm trends, which I think is what Tom L was speaking to.
why would golden eagles be more influential on sheep populations today than they were 25 years ago? Just asking - are their more eagles? If so, why? Sheep populations in NWT seem fine. Less eagles there?

But

why would golden eagles be more influential on sheep populations today than they were 25 years ago? Just asking - are their more eagles? If so, why? Sheep populations in NWT seem fine. Less eagles there?

I didn’t mean to imply that and I don’t think there’s evidence to suggest they are. Also, I don’t think there’s evidence to suggest there’s more eagles. The article linked earlier just talks about how we now have a better understanding of how many eagles there are in alaska.

CodyAK

FNG
So, if weather is the cause of the precipitous decline of Dall sheep in Alaska, and if the current harvest strategy isn't arresting that decline, how do residents of Alaska turn the tide for Dall sheep in terms of changing the current harvest strategy? Bear in mind that there's currently a harvestable surplus out there and will continue to be for at least another 20 years; ergo, opportunity must be allowed under statute. There's an obvious answer out there and I guess it's a question for the politically incorrect sheep biologists out there. The reason I say "politically incorrect", is because the politically correct have kept things status quo the past 35 years.
Decarbonizing the plant to slow warming. In the UK this week with all time record heat. If warming is not man influenced, then we’re all screwed. If we can reduce footprint, then maybe we can slow all this change. As the ice caps melt, lake effect snow will continue to plague alaska’s ranges. The Yukon and NWT will be in much better shape as the planet warms keeping their sheep populations.
State-wide draw with quotas? The state would have to do a lot more flying than what they do so already. I'm honestly not trying to stir the sh!t, I think we can all learn from others' perspectives.

Even if we wanted to decarbonize, we’d need global buy-in on that initiative. Its seems unattainable to me... And quite honestly unrealistic no matter how much I’d/we like to see it change.

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
State-wide draw with quotas? The state would have to do a lot more flying than what they do so already. I'm honestly not trying to stir the sh!t, I think we can all learn from others' perspectives.

Even if we wanted to decarbonize, we’d need global buy-in on that initiative. Its seems unattainable to me... And quite honestly unrealistic no matter how much I’d/we like to see it change.
I totally agree. My concern is that if it is a natural cycle and not man made. If it’s natural, there is little that can be done except hope the sheep adapt to the changes. If man made, then it would take a quantum effort by all nations - especially China to decarbonize. I don’t see that happening.

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
I didn’t mean to imply that and I don’t think there’s evidence to suggest they are. Also, I don’t think there’s evidence to suggest there’s more eagles. The article linked earlier just talks about how we now have a better understanding of how many eagles there are in alaska.
I was mostly thinking out loud. If we applied regression analysis to the variant change in populations and factored in the weather temperatures, snow totals and number of hunters, I’ll bet the delta is significant. I’d also bet a predictive tool could be developed by some genius kid at Meta that could predict population change by those same factors. Again, just thinking out loud.

CodyAK

FNG
I totally agree. My concern is that if it is a natural cycle and not man made. If it’s natural, there is little that can be done except hope the sheep adapt to the changes. If man made, then it would take a quantum effort by all nations - especially China to decarbonize. I don’t see that happening.
I think you could bet your house on that fact.

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
Think of how much closer you could get to sheep without them spooking in a quiet electric cub!
Typing this from 30,000 ft on my way back from the airshow in Farnborough. The electric club is on its way and we saw some amazing all solar planes which are also much close to commercial viability than many realize. You’ll probably start seeing some in Anchorage within the next 5 years. Battery life and weight are the limiting factors still being optimized.

No one is going to change the climate in the Northern Hemisphere in time to save Alaska's Dall sheep. So, green energy isn't the answer, even in the long-term. Again, weather (climate) caused the initial decline and the current harvest strategy has precipitated that decline. How do we arrest that?

CodyAK

FNG
No one is going to change the climate in the Northern Hemisphere in time to save Alaska's Dall sheep. So, green energy isn't the answer, even in the long-term. Again, weather (climate) caused the initial decline and the current harvest strategy has precipitated that decline. How do we arrest that?
State wide draw permit with quotas respective to ranges... No subsistence sheep hunting.

State wide draw permit with quotas respective to ranges... No subsistence sheep hunting.
I see hunting restrictions as a band aid to improve older (legal) ram numbers, AND as a priority mechanism for who gets to hunt.

I don't see it as a way to increase overall populations since we are dealing with a "surplus" of older rams that technically don't help population growth. Look at the Western Brooks- closed hunting for a long time but still no recovery of sheep

Of course the overall goal is to increase the number of available legal rams for all who wish to hunt.

What is the obvious answer out there?

I agree the "status quo" of Alaska sheep management won't cut it anymore. It has failed to accomplish anything (population increase) in the last 35 years.