HIT insert feedback

For those of you shooting a full carbon arrow (not FMJ) with a HIT insert, have you experienced splintering or any other insert related issues at the front of the arrow? How long/how much did you shoot without seeing an issue?

When answering this please also include your brand/model of arrow and what type of targets you generally shoot into.

4ester

WKR
Yes, I have seen splintering at the front of the shaft. These were Easton Axis and it didn't take very long.

I think the HIT's created more problems then they solved.

Gumbo

WKR
Yes, but I don't really think it was the fault of the HITs. I have shot HITs in Axis and BE Rampages for the last 3 years. I have had a couple arrows that missed their mark and hit (no pun intended) something very hard (rock, solid hardwood, etc.). In these instances the insert and point pushed deeper into the shaft and it peeled like a banana at the end. Would this have happened with conventional inserts? Maybe, but probably not to the extent it did as seen with the HITS, but I have also damaged the ends of plenty arrows in the same circumstances with conventional inserts. The Axis shafts would occasionally "chip" very slightly at the end too, but I haven't observed that with the BEs. I really like the HITs, once I learned a few tricks in how to get them inserted to the proper depth every time

PresTex

Lil-Rokslider
Generally I have not had any issues with the HIT insert system. However, last year I had a friend shoot a buck at about 12 yards with his recurve and hit bone in the front shoulder. Instead of driving through or around the shoulder the broad head pushed out the side of the shaft splintering at a 45* angle and he got no penetration. Maybe the result would have been the same using another shaft and the arrow would have broken but seeing the front of the shaft splinter right behind the broad head makes me think this is not the toughest system out there. I always run them with BAR rings though which I believe helps support that weak point at the front of insert. Haven't done any testing to see if the BAR rings actually help or not though but they definitely can't hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been using HIT's in several different arrows over the last 10 years. I have not had a SINGLE issue with the end of an arrow because of the HIT's. Also, keep in mind that I'm shooting 32 1/2" draw at 70lbs. I also don't even worry about what I hit. I tried to snake an arrow through about a 1 1/2" gap between a T-post and a target bale one time from 50 yards (aiming at the 60 yard target behind it and to the left) and hit the T-post instead. Completely flattened the field point but the arrow was fine. That was a TR Crush 300. My Kinetic XT 200's would look like an umbrella frame if I did that with them.......with or without the HIT's.

But I've used them in Beman Black Max Elites, Easton Axis, FMJ's, BE Rampage, GT Kinetic XT's and the Pro's, and the TR Crush shafts.......LOVE them. Makes for a very clean arrow that stays and spins true.

Last edited:

mtfallon

Lil-Rokslider
I had some issues with the HIT's mushrooming in the front of the arrow so last year I switched to the Deep Six RPS inserts and no more issues, love them!

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes, that is a serious problem and drawback to the HIT system. The pilot shank of the broadhead is unsupported. I have broken off several flavors of steel broadheads right at the top of the threads and split out the side of the shaft. Some were on shots on game as well as a turkey with a Decap head. Very alarming loss of kinetic energy and penetration.

I throw away the HIT inserts and use the Gold Tip outsert style adapters now with the axis shafts. The HIT internal system is a gimmick in my opinion. Discussions with a few broadhead manufacturers when I first blamed them, resulted in the same conclusion with other customers.

Keep in mind you can add an Easton BAR between your broadhead and arrow to protect the shaft.

d3ntalbliss

Lil-Rokslider
For those of you shooting a full carbon arrow (not FMJ) with a HIT insert, have you experienced splintering or any other insert related issues at the front of the arrow? How long/how much did you shoot without seeing an issue?

When answering this please also include your brand/model of arrow and what type of targets you generally shoot into.
Yes with Easton a/c injexion. For the price paid, I would say I'm highly dissatisfied. Tried to contact Easton via their contact form, never heard back. I shoot into a Rinehart block and occasional 3d. I've never missed.

I think the flaw with the a/c injexion and hit is the internal bevel they have you place in the aluminum portion. Practically creates a wedge situation.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I like the hit inserts...been using them for close to 20 years...since the axis came out just about.

I think a lot of the complaints about them is due to poor assembly. Those Axis arrows are as tough as anything out there I've seen. I've played with collars now don't bother... if you shoot a rock at an angle....any arrow is toast. I shot a doe in Ks and buried that axis 4' into an oak tree....arrow still fine when dug out.

mitchellbk

Lil-Rokslider
After numerous times going through shed, once going through shed and hitting freezer (still works), it died after hitting a stone slate. I think the key is the brass, insert was still intact, just bent a tad. Not sure what else you could ask for. Outsert would have been toast way long ago.

4sSdC4I.jpg

yQ1lGTQ.jpg

Last edited:
I am a big fan of the HIT insert and have had no problems running them in Beeman, Axis and latley, the BE Rampages. I shoot mainly into rhinehart and compressed carpeting target butts. For more times than I would like to admit, I have shot into the 2x6 target butt frame with no damage to the arrow.

JDZ

WKR
I use Easton Axis. I have no problem with the HIT in and of itself. But, I seem to have a heck of a time tuning broadheads with these arrows. I wonder how consistently the glue gets distributed and if that causes the insert to be off center or slightly crooked. If I have 6 broadheads and 6 arrows, I can usually only find 4 arrow/broadhead combinations that work. The other two have a different POI, no matter what I do.

Does anybody align their HIT so the broadheads are all aligned the same way?

Last edited:

Pramo

WKR
I've been shooting Axis 300 for a few years and never had splintering problem, this year I tried Injexion 330's and have broke two of them behind the insert so far. I always clean the inside of the shaft with a q-tip and 91% alcohol, then use the Easton epoxy and wait 24 hours to shoot them.

The one downside of axis is the consistency, I just bought 2 dozen and 8 of them are at .006 while the rest are .001 or .002. I've always found this with Axis on a spine tester, I wish they would make an Axis Select version that actually included all straight arrows. The .006 ones are the ones that never broadhead tune for me so I mark them and just use field tips with them.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The one downside of axis is the consistency

I've been saying that for years now. I've always heard how great Easton's spine consistency is, so always attributed it to straightness inconsistencies. At longer ranges 60+, the Axis have always shot larger groups than other sets of arrows I had using the same A-nocks and HIT's. Not horrible groups, but larger.

I had issues with 8 of 38 Carbon Injexion shafts having > 0.006" total runout (> + or - 0.003") over the 12" length of my dial indicator equipped arrow straightener back in 2014. Easton sent me new replacements for those after accusing me of "bending the brand new unfletched shafts"........how they couldn't explain nor could I! A threat to post a video of the runout on U tube brought them around. My more recent order of two dozen was much better. They seem to provide the best accuracy of any carbon shaft I have used, and fixed blade broadhead tune very well, so IMO the spine is very consistent.

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
So comparing a H insert to a HITS, is there an advantage to either one?
I was dead set on a .300 Axis with a 75 grain brass insert*, but now I'm a bit on the fence here and leaning towards maybe an Aftermath shaft with the 75 grain brass H insert?

(*This is me hoping I can run a 200 grainer on the end of a 27.5", .300 spine shaft with...)

Dameon

WKR
I've been using Easton Hexx arrows with 50 grain brass H inserts without a problem for two years now. I practice at least 3 times a week and have yet to break an arrow despite my mediocre skills and occasional misses into 2x6's at 70 yards. I don't trust outserts, HITS, or the like, so a H size arrow is as small as I'm willing to go and I'm glad I gave the H's a try.

FYI...my arrows are cut 28.25 carbon to carbon with X-nocks and unibushings along with the 50 grain brass inserts and 100 grain tips. I believe my FOC is about 15% and total arrow weight is 420 grains. I shoot a 2012 Vector Turbo, 63 pounds at 29 inches if that helps you with ideas about building your setup. The most important part is they bare shaft tune awesome and penetrate like crazy out of my setup. Love this combo.

Similar to most others here, I've shot Gold Tip XT Hunters and an Easton shaft (can't remember particular, .340 spine) with HIT inserts, and only experienced splitting if I hit something hard. The target I shoot at for long range has a wood framing and a plywood back. If I hit the wood, the tip splinters. It's happened with bullet points and the Montec Preseason tips. I've always just assumed it's cause I'm shooting a 70# bow into a 2x4. Thankfully I've only done it once with my expensive arrow shafts. Multiple times with the cheapo's I first practiced fletching on >.<