HIT OR HALF OUT

BowhuntingBrune3

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious about the advantages and disadvantages about the HIT's and Half outs. More specifically I am looking at the black eagle rampages (halfouts), or easton 5mm axis (HIT's).

OP
BowhuntingBrune3

BowhuntingBrune3

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, the iron will's are just to expensive for me. I bet they are great but I can't afford adding that much more to an arrow build for collars. Do you have any other recommendations?

Not sure I know enough to comment. I looked at both recently and am playing with the HITs for next year. One thing I noticed is price per arrow goes up when you start adding the iron will stuff. Half outs are less than $2 a piece. HITs are $0.75 each and the iron will collars mentioned above are over $5 each. That is all on top of the shaft, fletching and point/broad head.

OP
BowhuntingBrune3

BowhuntingBrune3

Lil-Rokslider
That is the issue I am running into desk jockey, I can't afford adding another $5 per arrow that is $60 per dozen. Was thinking of doing the standard hit with a 125 grain head but I don't know how durable the end of the arrow would be.

Trial153

WKR
Ok, the iron will's are just to expensive for me. I bet they are great but I can't afford adding that much more to an arrow build for collars. Do you have any other recommendations?
Yes. Ray at VPA does runs of flanged aluminum footers a few times a year, they are half the price. Decent product for sure. I built about 10 dozen arrows with them and they are very good.

Think they are 20 a dozen

That is the issue I am running into desk jockey, I can't afford adding another $5 per arrow that is $60 per dozen. Was thinking of doing the standard hit with a 125 grain head but I don't know how durable the end of the arrow would be.
So, last year I didn't want to spend the money on ironwill collars but still wanted something to protect the end of the shaft. I ended using the BAR (broadhead adapter ring) from Easton and they have held up very well. They can be a pain to pull out of a bag target but the durability is worth the slight inconvenience.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

OP
BowhuntingBrune3

BowhuntingBrune3

Lil-Rokslider
I am also considering just going back to standard diameter arrows with 50 grain inserts, seems like they would simplify everything and that is what I like.

Trial153

WKR
I am also considering just going back to standard diameter arrows with 50 grain inserts, seems like they would simplify everything and that is what I like.
Why not split the difference and go to a shaft like a BEA Spartan. Its smaller then a .246 I'd yet you can use a SS insert with brass weights. Easy as can be

OP
BowhuntingBrune3

BowhuntingBrune3

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting Trial153, I have never looked at those before I'll have to check them out. I love the rampages I have now but have noticed some durability issues with the halfouts.

OP
BowhuntingBrune3

BowhuntingBrune3

Lil-Rokslider
Last questions if you do buy axis's and do a hit system are you supposed to shoot your field points with the BAR's? Obviously without having a footer on the arrow.

sveltri

WKR
I've been using the Gold Tip trad components, SS half out and aluminum collar on Axis 340 and 400's. It takes a little digging to figure out which collar to buy because they are spine specific to GT trad arrows, I think they're a couple $'s each from Lancaster Archery.

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to axis/hit inserts this season and will be staying with them. Half outs have been a pain to deal with compared to these.

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
A footed HIT with be a million times stronger than a halfout. Ironwill and Ethics archery make footers for that purpose.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Was thinking of doing the standard hit with a 125 grain head but I don't know how durable the end of the arrow would be.

I've been using regular HIT's in several different manufacturer's arrows for the past 13 years with 125's and haven't had any issues at all. All of my arrows have been .300 spine and stiffer. Lighter weight thinner arrows might not hold up as well.........don't know. I think if you follow the directions exactly, they'll work just fine.......especially if you aren't intentionally shooting at concrete and such. I hate halfouts and outserts, they've never held up well for me and they bend......even the SS ones, then the arrows wobble.

And I agree on the Spartans, I just got a dozen shafts to play with......regular insert but similar sized arrow to my Kinetics and Axis. I'm just trying to find an arrow that has good specs and keeps them........besides the ACC's.