Hitch Cargo Carrier

WCB

WKR
Used one once and 1 day into the trip wanted to just throw it in the ditch. Ground clearance issues, collects even more mud, snow, ice than normal. Hard enough trying to keep dust out of the back of the truck let alone stuff blatantly out in the open. trying to turn around down a section line or narrow trail....back out of something etc.

No idea how a guy fills up a truck with a topper for even a couple week trip with a couple guys. Admittedly though I am pretty spartan on my trips. Have done many 2 weekish trips 2 guys out of a pickup with only a soft cover on the box with no issues.

fmyth

WKR
Have you considered a roof rack for the topper? You could put all the light weight stuff up on top. Most will handle 200lbs. I'm thinking of buying this A.R.E. Ascend basket for my truck topper. The Ascend is rated for 350lbs but my shell is only rated for 200.

Attachments

• 23903-ascend5542-8.jpg
    23903-ascend5542-8.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
KIMG2412.JPG

Great tool. I will say that if traveling in rainy or dusty conditions you probably want a turn of duct tape around the top of coolers. Only had a problem once but it sucked.

Mosby

WKR
My hitch haul is over 30 years old and still going. I always have it attached when deer hunting. Ratchet straps and cheap tarps from HF help.

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
I use this one for summer camping with wife and two teenage girls. We take everything including the kitchen sink, so I can relate. It will hold my 105 quart Coleman full of ice and drinks just fine. I don’t have a picture with it loaded up, but you can see it has plenty of clearance.

859724e746c8d2e69f543971a3aae15c.jpg

Pro Series 63153 Rambler Cargo Carrier Basket for 2 Inch Trailer Mounted Hitch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G4Z5J0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_DubeIKT9qpnKI

I added taillights for $30.
ROLA 20174 Red Cargo Carrier Light Kit https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000O5D...abc_25DD7MNMAYS86FFXRWNB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Add this to stabilize the basket to the hitch.

StowAway Hitch Tightener, Anti-Rattle Stabilizer for 2 Inch and 1.25 Inch Hitches. Made in USA with a. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001CMUV4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_WBaiXURE2YA3o

Last edited:

Azone

WKR
Get something heavy duty, personally I would go .188 wall on the the 2 inch tube coming out of the hitch receiver. As mentioned in a previous post having a hole drilled in the receiver with a nut welded over it for a pinch bolt will really help with the rattles. That’s where a thicker tube really shines because your less likely to cave in the wall of the tube from wear and tear or over torquing it. Use a square head pinch bolt, regular hex heads are too soft and will mushroom out and cause excessive profanity to ensue when trying to remove it. I would go steel but a well built aluminum one would probably work, just the cost factor. I used to work in a shop that was close to the highway, I’ve fixed a lot of cheap ones that were pretty close to breaking off on the road. Never failed during the holidays, city slickers with enough crap loaded down to stock a goodwill store. Personally I would go with a rack on top of the camper before I dealt with a hitch rack.

We always use a good heavy duty carrier mounted on our rear hitch a bunch but be sure to add a license plate light and add a place to put your license plate if it might be covered up by coolers or packed stuff. You can be ticketed for covering up your Rear License plate. We always take along a battery pack drill to quickly swap the license over.

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
I often wondered if I would get a traffic ticket for blocking my license plate, but that never came up.
This happened to my crew and I. Had to stop at an auto shop and get some extra zip ties to secure it to the exterior of the hitch carrier.

Maki35

WKR
I have friends that uses them. don't know what brand they are.
One friend uses the cargo carrier to transport his 2 man ladder stand. Another uses it for his coolers when he's fishing.
I've seen people use them for all sorts of stuff.. carrying luggage, coolers/ gear...
Another friend uses his cargo hitch carrier to transport his snow blower when he has to clear his parent's & in-law's d-way (different properties) in the winter.

Brendan

WKR
I load mine up with coolers, which can be packed full of Ice and Meat - so heavy. After having several crappy ones I had to get rid of, I sprung for the Pakmule. Expensive, but other than being stout and not worrying about it bending or falling apart on me, I can fit a Yeti 105 and a Canyon 125 side by side.

11boo

WKR
We nearly destroyed one on my UTV going deep

Pickup model with not much rise. Dont try it, but it worked.8BF9A227-A104-4423-8F11-184157883C0E.jpegBBFC7848-6720-4805-A98C-CC0BCE941664.jpeg

I got 1 like this although it was purchased from ACE hardware. Haven't taken on a hunt but have on a few family trips and its great. I usually put hard coolers on it and then gear inside to keep dry and clean. Recently I purchased a cheap water proof cargo bag for the roof top although the plan is to put the gear in the cargo bag and then on the hitch haul.