Hitch Cargo Carrier

Good Morning Fellas,

Going on a longer truck camp based hunt this fall, planning out how i will be packing and can only fit so much in an F-150 with a topper. I would prefer to not have a trailer and have been tossing around using a cargo hitch carrier for holding coolers or extra totes with cargo.

I've never used on but have seen some that look pretty loose, saggy, and all around cheap. Any recommendations for a quality hitch carrier?

Steel vs aluminum?
raised out of the hitch vs straight out so it doesn't drag ?

Any help is appreciated.

I have one that my Dad gave me probably over 15 years ago. Not sure what brand it is, but I can stand on one side of it while it is in the hitch with no problems. I want to think it was a U-Haul or something like that. That hitch haul has been all over the United States. I have a Tahoe and have used it from Suitcases to coolers and even hauled deer on it. Never had an issue with it dragging and don't see that issue unless you are going through a deep V type of terrain. Get one for sure, just make sure it is sturdy.

boom

WKR
I just gave mine away!! free on Craigslist. I bought it for my Idaho trip. it was nice. I got anal and used a few cam-straps to make it more stable, but even without the straps it was okay.

I got steel. bought it off Amazon, and yes it was made in China. I used it a few times to take firewood to camp but that was it. it just got in the way, therefore I gave it away.

at camp it made a good table. I put it up on logs and we stored gear on it. like water jugs (we used those insulated water jugs) and stuff. kept ice chest off the ground.

I often wondered if I would get a traffic ticket for blocking my license plate, but that never came up.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
I have used several (4), with stationary, folding options.
The best by far, ROLA brand. Only drawback is it weighs 75lbs. But sturdy and best quality materials.
I won't be trying any other hitch carrier now. Sits level, well above ground and never bottomed out with it on. Haul firewood, camp tasks, so many options.
See image of AZ OTC archery 2020 buck, strapped on for transport back to camp.

There is one brand out there, PakMule. Lighter due to aluminum, made in USA but 2.5x the price of the Rola.

so many subpar quality hitch carriers out there; cheap, rust, sag, poor fit & tolerances, wobbly into receiver hitch (even with an optional hitch tightener installed).

As always, get what you pay for....buy once, cry never....

Attachments

• 2020.AZ OTC buck.jpg
    2020.AZ OTC buck.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
I added some hooks to the side of my topper so I can lash stuff to the top - I didnt like the idea of having gear behind the truck with dust or road grime - not to mention the wobbly hitch carriers

I made one out of aluminum years ago for a road trip that we needed some extra space. Light weight and fits almost too tight in the receiver.

dtrkyman

WKR
I had an aluminum one for years, driving an suv it is vital, love them and highly recommend aluminum.

I have since bought a used stowaway with a swing out, big box with tail lights. Pricey new but I found it on craigslist cheap. Holds quite a bit of junk and keeps thing dry and free of dust, the swing out option is crucial for accessing the tailgate, though I could open with if I push on the box, may actually have another hole drilled so I can move it out slightly!

MTJake

Lil-Rokslider
I bought one a few years ago to put on the back of my wife's rig for family trips. ROLA gets my vote. It's heavy, but it had the heaviest load capacity I could find. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016I8E1M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I have loaded it up with several hundred pounds, and with a few ratchet straps its good to go. It has a bolt that you tighten for a pin so as to eliminate vibration and shaking. I like this one as well because it is angled up and rides higher, and even with crick crossings in the mountains, I have yet to rub it on the ground.

25 years ago I had a real good steel one. It had a raised hitch. It did move a bit but nothing that made a lot of noise or gave me any concern. I mounted some trailer lights on it and used the trailer light plug to energize them. It was a dang heavy thing.
i drove full size SUVs mostly Broncos and Expeditions so I wanted some outside storage for a game cooler. Once I started driving pickups I didnt have the need so I gave the hitch and haul away. It worked ok but it was kind of a pain to work around.
I would almost prefer a small trailer to the hitch n haul but I know that aint apples to apples.

87TT

WKR
Take the topper off. That's what trucks are for. You won't have to worry about it and you will have beter ground clearance.

I got this one a while ago, Aluminum hitch carrier . It's a decent value, lightweight, does the job. Needs to be partially assembled. Would recommend adding flat washers to the screws going into the 2" receiver. Could see the hollow aluminum tubing deflecting when torqueing screws down. I stopped and added stainless washers there, fairly solid now.

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Bought a Reese angled one. Want very expensive but it holds my cooler and stuff. Its somewhat loose but it wouldn't be hard to shim it if I was worried about it. Be careful that the angled won't interfere with a tail gate.

WDO

FNG
I only have experience with cheaper ones. That said, I would recommend keeping 2x extra rachet straps for supports (just in case). 10 Days in the breaks beat my hitch hauler to death. I don't think it would have made it back to Georgia had we not ran the straps from the back angle, over the closed tail gate to tie off points in the bed.

Elkangle

WKR
I like the swing away idea, I'm In similar boat trying to cram 10 gallons of crap in a 5 gallon bucket...it sure is nice not having a trailer tho