Hmm .....4 Out of State Points to Burn in colorado next year..

aggieland

WKR
Colorado lots of great high country units.. Anyone want to suggest a unit to apply in? This will probably be the last time I save points for deer. I belive I can find decent deer in lots of 1 point units but i made a deal with my cousin to save up a few years and make a special trip for him. Anyway just thought I would ask, Not expecting anyone to give up their honey hole.. lol thanks

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Is there even an high country archery hunt that requires 4 points?????

The good rifle ones take more than 4.

Are you a res or nonres?

D

david long

2 points will pretty much get you the best archery tag in the state!

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 536
I have heard some good things from 66 BUT according to MonsterMuleys.com even 4 points Resident Archery wasn't guaranteed last year. If I was going to build personally that is where I would be looking.

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
No wait here ya go.. Non Res Texan, Road hunter, and I won't be happy with anything under 200" lol.. Please tell me your hot spots. Ok, Had to get that joke out of the way. Any advice is great and i'm very thankful for your help.

That's because its texas!!!! :) still like david said earlier you can pretty much get the best tags with 2. The great thing about CO is that ALMOST EVERY county has produced record book bucks. Have you looked at MonsterMuleys.com??? Check their draw odds tables!!! Start there to narrow down your search and we'll go from there.

pronghorn

FNG
I did a very thorough analysis of the archery deer draws in Colorado by taking two GMU maps and marking those units that took ) points and those that took 1 point. It is shocking how much of the state can be drawn with one point.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
That's right pronghorn. That's why when people are saving points beyond about 1 or 2 (archery of course), they are wasting years of hunting. thanks

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Well, I had to save the points because I only had one or two weeks vacation the past 4 years and used them to hunt elk with my dad. So Now I have 4 points coming up next season and just had no clue what would be a good choice unit.

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Well I never really got and solid avice as to where to look.. Hope someone will p.m. me or something.. ;(

aggieland, unless you are receiving PMs, I think that folks may be hinting that they are not going to give you their hot spots in Colorado. At least not on an open forum anyway. As was stated earlier, you can draw nearly any archery unit in the state with 4 pts. Evan's last post tells me that he wants you do find a few units you would like to hunt. Maybe you prefer a certain type of terrain or time of year? And then he and/or others will help you decide between the units YOU want to hunt. Good luck to ya! Sounds like a guaranteed draw for you!

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Man, I don't think I can put the bow down for any type of firearm. I love my archery, Like I mentioned above I have a cousin that has been saving points to go along with me and I would like to take him on an Alpine type hunt. I prefer the early season and can travel to any part of the state. I know the units around Meeker draw alot of attention but I have never hunted that part of the state and have no clue what the terrain is like. I have hunted SW Utah and was very impressed with the numbers of deer. I know everyone wants to kill a monster deer and of course I do as well but I would be happy with high numbers of deer as well. I wont have the time to scout like most people that live in Colorado so it will be a 2 week hunting trip, get it done in that time span or head home empty handed. I have a few friends on this site that are going to slip me some info via p.ms just wanted a general idea of what part of the state others liked..

bohntr

WKR
There are some options with 4 points. You could build another preference point and draw an archery unit on your second choice. Once you do that two more years, try and draw 61 as first choice.......lots of deer, not a lot of hunters, and quality bucks reside there. It's not an above timberline hunt (aspen covered plateau) but I've seen some dandies on that unit.

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Aspen Flats would be very nice as well. I'm pretty sure we will go ahead and burn the 4 points we have, the guy that is going to pack in with me is sorta a one hit wonder on these hunts and I have other friends that i try and hunt with every year. So our point spread is getting apart. If that makes any sense at all, Were all kinda trying to get in the same boat for hunts but I'm way ahead on points. thanks for the tip!