Hobbit Inspired TC Encore

RedRidge

WKR
Finally received my barrel from MGM to complete my shorty Encore build. A Lot of guys have probably seen the hobbit rifle build thread by @SLDMTN and it peaked my interest. A lot of my hunting is hardwoods that does not require long shots and this would be perfect for a woods gun. Pair that with the TMKs and this rifle will be very handy. I have young kids that can't shoot yet, but this will be the perfect little gun to get started on when they're ready. I foresee a lot of fun with this little gun. I'll add on to this thread after a range report.

Specs: TC Encore Pro Hunter Frame, Sharps Bro TC Grip, Thordsen buffer tube adapter, Standard milspec buffer tube, BCM gunfighter stock, 20" MGM 1-7 heavy factory contour .223 Wylde with 1-8 twist spiral fluting threaded with cap, talley one piece low scope mount, SWFA 2.5-10 Ultralight scope. Don't have a good weighing method but looking like 6.7lbs. Fully collapsed overall length 32", fully extended 35.25"

Zl8tFSX.jpg

rayporter

WKR
do you think the forend is needed?
i have shot mine with out the forend and it shot well. i have a piece of pipe insulation on it now but i am looking for something to replace the insulation.

7lb 1 oz with a six power optic

and a 24 inch 30-06 barrel

Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
do you know how much wt you saved with the stock?
did you have a wood or synthetic stock on it before? i would really like to find a beat up wood stock to try.

if i got a 20 inch barrel and a nice light scope i could get this under 6lb 12 oz
and if your but stock saves any wt maybe i could reach 6.5lb
Ulfx57g.jpg

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finally received my barrel from MGM to complete my shorty Encore build. A Lot of guys have probably seen the hobbit rifle build thread by @SLDMTN and it peaked my interest. A lot of my hunting is hardwoods that does not require long shots and this would be perfect for a woods gun. Pair that with the TMKs and this rifle will be very handy. I have young kids that can't shoot yet, but this will be the perfect little gun to get started on when they're ready. I foresee a lot of fun with this little gun. I'll add on to this thread after a range report.

Specs: TC Encore Pro Hunter Frame, Sharps Bro TC Grip, Thordsen buffer tube adapter, Standard milspec buffer tube, BCM gunfighter stock, 20" MGM 1-7 heavy factory contour .223 Wylde with 1-8 twist spiral fluting threaded with cap, talley one piece low scope mount, SWFA 2.5-10 Ultralight scope. Don't have a good weighing method but looking like 6.7lbs. Fully collapsed overall length 32", fully extended 35.25"

Man that spiral fluting looks sharp! Nice work 👍

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
do you know how much wt you saved with the stock?
did you have a wood or synthetic stock on it before? i would really like to find a beat up wood stock to try.

if i got a 20 inch barrel and a nice light scope i could get this under 6lb 12 oz
and if your but stock saves any wt maybe i could reach 6.5lb
I used the Minimalist buttstock and it was a few ounces of weight savings but that's about it. My two reasons for even messing with it was the increased packability (saved a couple inches when compressed) and the adjustable LOP so both my girls and I could shoot it.

Axlrod

WKR
Nice looking rifle! I have not heard of that grip or the adapter before. Was thinking of getting a Choate folder, but I like your set up better.

OP
RedRidge

RedRidge

WKR
@rayporter , concur with SLDMTN. My goal was for it too be small and easily adjustable to kids/wife, not necessarily the lightest. I would say yes on the forend for kids.

@SLDMTN thanks. Can't wait to get it on the range.

Clarktar

WKR
I will put this on my list!

Thanks for the update!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Julius K

FNG
I was thinking of building one these for my kids. They are very young, but in the next year or two I’d like to have one those in 223. Is recoil fairly insignificant?

OP
RedRidge

RedRidge

WKR
I was thinking of building one these for my kids. They are very young, but in the next year or two I’d like to have one those in 223. Is recoil fairly insignificant?
I would assume so. Hopefully I can get to the range this weekend and report back.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member

With our .22-250 barrel the recoil is little to nothing. Such a great learning tool to get the exact feel of the gun they’ll be hunting with but without the heavy recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as.ks.ak

WKR

Zl8tFSX.jpg

8f71b4bbb115b927540cbe4d7a67be57.jpg

Me too. Me too. Another hobbit rifle out amongst the Rokslide crew. This one lives in SE Alaska.

My 7 month old will get to grow into this bad boy. This barrel is also MGM its 7mm-08. Have the 22-250 barrel on the way. Both will be topped with Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40 CDS-ZL.

You can add this to the list of shituff that one certain individual has influenced me to spend monies on...you know who you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk