Hobble, stake, highline, elec fence?

Sgtusmc14

Lil-Rokslider
So here is the deal. I have been hunting the flattops for a few years with a group of buddies, and we have been pretty successful so far (mostly thanks to the Marine Corps and being able to walk a very long ways with heavy things on our backs...oh and screw the mountain warfare training center that place is hell! lol)

That being said I'm from MO and have a rodeo,/ranch background, but...when we are gathering cattle out here its not like it is out there. You don't stay overnight and the horses are usually tied to or in the trailer.

My gf is wanting to go to the flat tops in Aug and bring 2 horses and a pack horse so here is my question.

Hobble, stake, highline, or electric fence. All my horses are hobble broke but they will graze pretty far with them. What are some good staking techniques and or should I just plan on bringing a highline set up. I was thinking to stake them, maybe stake/hobble and let them graze. What do you western side of the country cowboys think?

If this works out I am thiniking of bringing a couple to hunt (at least pack in) but I know I need to start on it now.

So much of it is scenario specific. How many animals are your taking, quantity of forage available, trees, hunting style.

Here is my two cents. Hobbles are nice for when your hanging around camp or if you come back frequently (I don't leave hobbled over night). The weigh pretty much nothing so I bring them all the time.

I used to have a full highline kit with bag, rope, and knot savers. Now I know the areas I will camp so I don't need that much rope between trees so I use my lash ropes as the highline and lash cinches as tree savers, and bring three knot savers. No added weight but still have the functionality and security of a highline.

If your horses are broke to a electric fence I use that a ton now. I have roll of polywire, cheap D cell charger and ten plastic posts. I have had friend's stock jump it though so training on the front end is important. If there is plenty of forage it can save so much time and stress making sure they have plenty of feed. Also you can usually include a tree or two for shade or weather protection. Pro tip- I bring screw in polywire holders and screw them into dead trees to make the fenced in area giant. $10 for a bag of 30 at tractor supply.

I used weaver stake outs a few times for a lead mare but between super rocky areas, shrub entanglement, extra cotton rope, and frequent thunderstorms it was a pain in the butt so it sits in the shed.

rayporter

WKR
if well broke to electric fence that is what i prefer. frequently i willl hobble them inside the electric. some will learn to duck under a wire and the hobbles will stop that..

i dont carry posts, just poly wire on a ski rope winder. this allows me wind up the wire easily. since i just string the wire through the trees and bushes it will not have much power but they know it is on. one wire about a foot off the ground and one at waist level works well.

wyosteve

WKR
I broke mine to a one front foot picket/hobble with an 8 foot fairly lightweight chain and then a 25 ft. rope. The chain keeps them from getting their back legs tangled and with the rope, they can move and graze within the circle. Plus, you can tie the rope to anything handy, big rock, tree, stump or I've even used one of those dog screw into the ground stakes. Took me about 10 minutes to get each animal used to the front foot picket.

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
If the area your going to has feed or meadows to graze single foot picket with a good swivel is the way to go. I like it because it packs in light and I've hardly ever had a horse get loose with one. If the area your going to is all timber it won't work.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
Hobble or just turned loose while hanging around camp, high-line when gone and sleeping. We rarely have problems with stock leaving while around camp, unless they’ve been in camp a few days resting. Tired animals don’t travel more than they need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Sgtusmc14

Sgtusmc14

Lil-Rokslider
if well broke to electric fence that is what i prefer. frequently i willl hobble them inside the electric. some will learn to duck under a wire and the hobbles will stop that..

i dont carry posts, just poly wire on a ski rope winder. this allows me wind up the wire easily. since i just string the wire through the trees and bushes it will not have much power but they know it is on. one wire about a foot off the ground and one at waist level works well.
i think that is the route i am leaning on. a small solar fence and hobbles while in it

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So much of it is scenario specific. How many animals are your taking, quantity of forage available, trees, hunting style.

Here is my two cents. Hobbles are nice for when your hanging around camp or if you come back frequently (I don't leave hobbled over night). The weigh pretty much nothing so I bring them all the time.

I used to have a full highline kit with bag, rope, and knot savers. Now I know the areas I will camp so I don't need that much rope between trees so I use my lash ropes as the highline and lash cinches as tree savers, and bring three knot savers. No added weight but still have the functionality and security of a highline.

If your horses are broke to a electric fence I use that a ton now. I have roll of polywire, cheap D cell charger and ten plastic posts. I have had friend's stock jump it though so training on the front end is important. If there is plenty of forage it can save so much time and stress making sure they have plenty of feed. Also you can usually include a tree or two for shade or weather protection. Pro tip- I bring screw in polywire holders and screw them into dead trees to make the fenced in area giant. $10 for a bag of 30 at tractor supply.

I used weaver stake outs a few times for a lead mare but between super rocky areas, shrub entanglement, extra cotton rope, and frequent thunderstorms it was a pain in the butt so it sits in the shed.
I am by no means a horse expert, but every one that I hunt with has echoed this. Highline has been good for much of the country we hunt, and many of the guys I hunt with prefer not to hobble in grizzly country.

OP
Sgtusmc14

Sgtusmc14

Lil-Rokslider
I am by no means a horse expert, but every one that I hunt with has echoed this. Highline has been good for much of the country we hunt, and many of the guys I hunt with prefer not to hobble in grizzly country.
I'm hunting the flattops in CO no griz, few cougars and black bears but thats it

dukxdog

Lil-Rokslider
I've packed for a long time. Depending on the feed and camp situation I picket one and hobble the rest. Always use bells on some of the hobbled ones.

WyoHuntr

FNG
I prefer electric so that they can pack in the groceries at night (and not take up my valuable time during the day). Plus I can move them around more than a highline. It doesn't take much of a charger, if they are accustomed to electric fences (I use my AN20).

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1654758302665.jpg
    FB_IMG_1654758302665.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 28