Hoffman Explorer Boot Review Thread ***Updated 2/12/20***

My two cents after hunting archery, rifle and muzzleloader for deer/elk/bear for two seasons and doing some miscellaneous hiking/scouting around Idaho and Montana with a pair of uninsulated 8” Hoffman Explorers (I’d estimate about 400 miles total):

I purchased mine from the Hoffman shop in Kellogg, ID in the summer of 2018. They’re comfortable out of the box and somewhat stiff, but not too stiff. Not as stiff as my Lowa Tibet’s and not as soft as say a Danner product. They’re solidly constructed and are showing no signs of breakdown. The rand has held up very well and they’ve been mostly watertight. I did have wet feet after one particularly snowy day where a thaw began setting in and everything was wet and muddy. However, it was the one day that I did not put on my OR gaiters until well after the snow/sleet started because I was tracking a herd and didn’t want to lose time. My wet feet could have been a top down sock wicking problem.

I don’t use Obernauf’s or Hoffman’s boot care products. I prefer the Schnee’s/Nor-V-Gen leather conditioner. I’ve been using it for almost two decades and I’ve never had an issue with it. Obernauf’s can sometimes cause the adhesive used to glue the rand to the upper to fail on some boots and that results in the rand peeling away. I’ve seen it happen at least four times to boots owned by friends and relatives, so I stopped using it on anything with a glued rand. The boots have darkened, but the leather is in great shape aside from a little flap that peeled on top of the toe that I had to use a little Freesole to glue down. I tripped and caught a large sharp rock outcrop.

I’m a size 9.5D on a Brannock device and tried on a 9, 9.5 and 10. The 9.5 was the best fit with a pair of Darn Tough full cushion boot socks.

All in all, these boots are well worth the money. The staff at Hoffman were very helpful and let me try on various boots aside from theirs to get the right fit. They’re a fixture in the town of Kellogg and supply a lot of boots to loggers, firefighters, tree planters and lineman. My insulated boots are worn out and I’ll be picking up a pair of insulated Hoffman Explorers this summer. That’s about the best endorsement I can give.

Edit: I should add that I bought these boots in Summer of 2018 almost on a whim. I was looking to replace a pair of Crispi’s that had simply broken down after just one season (leaking, peeling rand and lace eyelets coming loose from the leather) and stopped into Hoffman on the way home from berry picking with the wife. Very glad I did.

Attachments

• FA278703-83D8-41DF-B46F-72BD3D3B8CB6.jpeg
    FA278703-83D8-41DF-B46F-72BD3D3B8CB6.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Toe box is solid 3 good descents today all toenails in tact will say had pedicure before I went out
Ross thanks for a great review. Saw Hoffman boots at the EXPO and went and tried on a pair. I was very impressed at the fit very nice heel and mid sole fit to keep your foot locked in place with a very ample toe box.
I didn't walk away with a pair but they will my next boot. Appreciate the heads up about them.

I also saw Hoffman offers an armor pro for those extra harsh environments that need extra protection. Pretty intriguing.
be6d655e7ae4d40505c8c6d0f5600c76.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
How do these compare to the NI Kennetrek mountain extremes? I've had the same Hoffman pacs for the last ten winters and couldn't be happier. But my kennetreks are definitely due for a resole (maybe past due) and on paper I would definitely like to try the hoffmans. I've worn a ton of different kinds of boots over the years for work and play and the Kennetreks were kind of a game changer for a general mountain boot for me. I apologize if this has already been addressed but I haven't seen a comparison. Thanks, I'm glad Hoffman's are finally getting some recognition, their pacs are definitely in a league of their own.

HeadnWest

WKR
I looked on their website but could not find the specs on the weight of the 8" uninsulated explorers, Does anyone know what they advertise the weight of these boots at?

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wore a pair of the kenetreks several years ago, from my recollection the Hoffman’s are a stiffer boot and have a heavier leather providing me further ankle support. I will weigh my uninsulated pair and post up some further pics of wear during further shed hikes.

For those looking for a quality handcrafted boot company made in the USA with a 40 plus year history check out their selection of mountain and lineman boots👍 I had a chance to cruise over to Kellogg Idaho and meet with Jim and Tom Hoffman to review the boot building process and grab this boot for my early season hunts. This is the 8” Explorer uninsulated version. Have not had them outside yet wanting to verify the size before I beat them up. Looks like the chosen 10 is true to my normal size. More to follow from north Idaho. Ask away with any questions. Here’s the link to the Explorers

Complete Review: Hoffman Explorer Boot Review

View attachment 117538View attachment 117539View attachment 117540View attachment 117541
Are there other boots you would choose over these for around the same price?
For those looking for a quality handcrafted boot company made in the USA with a 40 plus year history check out their selection of mountain and lineman boots👍 I had a chance to cruise over to Kellogg Idaho and meet with Jim and Tom Hoffman to review the boot building process and grab this boot for my early season hunts. This is the 8” Explorer uninsulated version. Have not had them outside yet wanting to verify the size before I beat them up. Looks like the chosen 10 is true to my normal size. More to follow from north Idaho. Ask away with any questions. Here’s the link to the Explorers

Complete Review: Hoffman Explorer Boot Review

View attachment 117538View attachment 117539View attachment 117540View attachment 117541
are there other boots for around the same price that you would choose over these?

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very good questions ......here is my current lineup I’m running.....the Hoffman’s Crispi nevadas and schnees granite 4s....the Hoffman probably stiffest, great stability and never feel like my ankles will roll which is always something I’m prone to they are wearing very well so durability is very high good comfort and this insulated pair is the least warm of the 3 would say from my experience not as waterproof as other the other two...the nevadas for a short boot very good ankle suppport a stiff boot but not as much as Hoffman’s, a little warmer than Hoffman’s but not as durable from my experience and very comfortable out of the box liked them enough after my review from a few years ago bought pair...the schnees are a very cold season boot and the most waterproof of the 3 again good comfort been exceptionally durable and have the most miles on them would say stiffness closer to the Hoffman’s good ankle support for a bigger boot not sure how many miles on them but well over 500...for September like the nevadas october the Hoffman’s and late season the schnees.....been lucky they all fit my feet well and no issues of hot spots will all being very well built...have reviews on all 3 if you search good luck finding the right boot👍 one further item both the initial nevadas and Hoffman’s were provided for reviews both performed very good so my own coin went into further purchases of them additionallybought a pair of Hoffman packs this year...AB524929-1102-452E-9EE8-4EBF78E71113.jpeg726881A6-D437-4D95-942C-160439386DF5.jpegAB524929-1102-452E-9EE8-4EBF78E71113.jpegA556BD66-5719-4517-9344-A9EAC6C6A482.jpegA556BD66-5719-4517-9344-A9EAC6C6A482.jpeg

Attachments

• D86DB7A8-1E20-49D5-A633-342D3BC39CD1.jpeg
    D86DB7A8-1E20-49D5-A633-342D3BC39CD1.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

jjd

FNG
There are a lot of high quality footwear manufactures overseas and fortunately for us hunters in the USA, they have been brought to us to choose from. Kenetrek, Schnees, Crispi, Lowa and Meindl just to name a few have been brought to the USA to offer us some great choices to choose from. I have done a lot of research on different boot manufactures from mainly Italy and Germany where most of these boots are made. One thing can be said. Even though the quality in these boots is usually excellent, not every boot will fit the consumers foot the same. One brand of boot may fit your buddies foot perfect and yet leave you wondering why he likes this model so much.
When Hoffman's started looking for a manufacture of a hunting style boot, we looked at several options. We were more than excited to find a company in Italy that has been manufacturing high end hunting boots for over 50 years. This 3rd generation, family owned business had been producing some of the best footwear that we came across but failed to venture into the US market while keeping plenty busy producing boots for Europe. I can honestly say that I would put our Explorer boot up against any boot on the market. I feel like we may be behind a bit in making this model available to the US consumer but I definitely think this is worth a look at for those of you looking for a high end mountaineering style boot.
We will be running a promotion on Rokslide the month of September. I want to give away 4 pair of boots (one a week) to random people to try. Keep an eye out for this promotion which will be starting soon.
Thank you all for your time and I hope your hunting season is not only successful but a safe one.
Visit us at www.hoffmanboots.com
Jim Hoffman
Hoffman Boots
How much do the 6 inch lights weigh?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

d_rek

Lil-Rokslider
What would you recommend for a November Nebraska mule deer hunt? There could be a foot of snow on the ground, it could be 50s and mild, or it could be soggy and wet.

I also have extremely wide toe box along with big feet (12.5 EE) so which pair would you recommend? Insulated or non insulated?

Normally I wear lacrosse aerohead size 13 for whitetail in the Midwest for pretty much the entire season but know I will need something different for my first western hunt. Or would you recommend a pac boot?

I like that your boots are made in USA. I have a friend who purchased the guide pacs who also has extremely wide feet and he loves them!

Sent from d_mobile

Ten Bears

WKR
I am two weeks into a pair of 8 inch uninsulated explorers. size 10.5 wide. so far so good. these are some well constructed boots, I think they feel light for how robust the build quality is. the wide is actually wide. I have about 50/60 miles in them not including the two days I wore them to work and really loving them. they definitely need to be worn and broken in. stiff. ankle support is top notch. a tad wide in the heel. toe box is perfect.

Hoffman Boots

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
What would you recommend for a November Nebraska mule deer hunt? There could be a foot of snow on the ground, it could be 50s and mild, or it could be soggy and wet.

I also have extremely wide toe box along with big feet (12.5 EE) so which pair would you recommend? Insulated or non insulated?

Normally I wear lacrosse aerohead size 13 for whitetail in the Midwest for pretty much the entire season but know I will need something different for my first western hunt. Or would you recommend a pac boot?

I like that your boots are made in USA. I have a friend who purchased the guide pacs who also has extremely wide feet and he loves them!

Sent from d_mobile
Just depends if you want a pac style boot like your friend or an all leather boot. If a pac style, I would stay with a Guide in a size 13. If an all leather, we will have a new line of insulated boots out this fall if wanting a heavier insulated boot (800 gram) or we do have a 400 available now

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
All this talk of good ankle support makes me want to get a pair. Ive actually wanted a pair for awhile, I probably need to give Hoffman a call in the next few weeks and get a pair of the 8" mountain boots ordered up.

What has been their standard make-up time on a pair of boots? Thinking of getting some 6” explorers to do a little bear hunting this spring.

What has been their standard make-up time on a pair of boots? Thinking of getting some 6” explorers to do a little bear hunting this spring.
I got some pac boots made this winter and it took about 10 days from order to doorstep, not sure if that will vary depending on the model.