Hoffman Explorers: This is how good boots should wear

Quality products deserve an atta boy. Since @Hoffman Boots is kind enough to offer a discount through RS, I feel they doubly deserve one.

Three years ago, I renewed my quest for the ultimate hunting boot and tried on over a dozen pairs from various manufacturers. Ultimately, I chose a pair of Hoffman Light Explorers. Even though I 100% know better, I wore them essentially out of the box and into the Idaho wilderness for a backpack spring bear hunt. Five days and no blisters later, i emerged highly impressed.

I have logged a LOT of miles on these boots in steep and unforgiving country. I probably spend 30+ days a year chukar hunting in addition to deer and elk hunting and I would conservatively estimate these boots have around 1800 (haha no reading glasses typo on the original post) miles on them. These boots are finally starting to wear through on the inside (small hole in toe box liner and small split in heel liner), but the outside is still looking great.

You can see from the photos where a slight bit of rand separation is occurring, but after this many miles I don't consider this as even a blip on the radar. The sole lugs are getting pretty well rounded. The leather has minimal cracking. None of the lace eyelets have pulled out.

I give these an 11/10. They are my favorite boot and the best I have ever worn. Thank you, Hoffman.

IMG_0047.jpegIMG_0048.jpegIMG_0049.jpegIMG_0050.jpegIMG_0051.jpegIMG_0052.jpegIMG_0053.jpegIMG_0054.jpegIMG_0055.jpegIMG_0056.jpeg

Last edited:

ORhunter74

Lil-Rokslider
Good to hear they wore so well and for so long. I picked up an insulated pair for late season this year and similarly pretty much took them hunting right out of the box. Super comfortable. And a wide is actually a wide which is nice. So far I love mine too.

gearguywb

WKR
Nice. Really wanted t try them but I cant get a response from them. They look like they gave you great service!

csatt90

FNG
My 10" Hoffman Hunters are the best hunting boot i've ever owned. Looks like you put a few more miles on than me, but after year four on mine it looks like I can expect several more years out of them!

Hoffman Boots

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Nice. Really wanted t try them but I cant get a response from them. They look like they gave you great service!
There has been a few "no responses" that has me a little concerned. I normally respond to all emails personally so I am not sure what is going on with our email. Anyways, if you have any questions, feel free to call me if needed at 208-786-4851
Jim Hoffman

Hoffman Boots

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Quality products deserve an atta boy. Since @Hoffman Boots is kind enough to offer a discount through RS, I feel they doubly deserve one.

Three years ago, I renewed my quest for the ultimate hunting boot and tried on over a dozen pairs from various manufacturers. Ultimately, I chose a pair of Hoffman Light Explorers. Even though I 100% know better, I wore them essentially out of the box and into the Idaho wilderness for a backpack spring bear hunt. Five days and no blisters later, i emerged highly impressed.

I have logged a LOT of miles on these boots in steep and unforgiving country. I probably spend 30+ days a year chukar hunting in addition to deer and elk hunting and I would conservatively estimate these boots have around 8k miles on them. These boots are finally starting to wear through on the inside (small hole in toe box liner and small split in heel liner), but the outside is still looking great.

You can see from the photos where a slight bit of rand separation is occurring, but after this many miles I don't consider this as even a blip on the radar. The sole lugs are getting pretty well rounded. The leather has minimal cracking. None of the lace eyelets have pulled out.

I give these an 11/10. They are my favorite boot and the best I have ever worn. Thank you, Hoffman.

View attachment 637199View attachment 637200View attachment 637201View attachment 637202View attachment 637204View attachment 637205View attachment 637206View attachment 637207View attachment 637208View attachment 637209
Thank you for the kind words Jason. We really appreciate you taking the time to do this. Hoffman's isn't as big as a name in the hunting boot word yet but I do think we have the best product. I am glad you feel the same.
Jim Hoffman

chindits

WKR
Can you describe toe box width versus how well you can snug up the instep?

I wish their on line description of their 6” boots had actual weight listed rather than just saying “light weight” in the description

Hoffman Boots

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor

I wish their on line description of their 6” boots had actual weight listed rather than just saying “light weight” in the description
The weight on this boot is 4 lbs a pair

Hoffman Boots

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Sorry if we missed a message. Call me at 208-786-4851 if you have any questions.
Jim Hoffman

OP
Jason Snyder

Toe box width is good. I can snug them up just fine through the instep. I cannot wear Kennetrek boots because they won’t snug up in the instep and I have heel slip.

I think a good comp is Lowa for fit. The Hoffman’s have the best toe box volume and instep taper of any boot I’ve worn.

Hoffman Boots

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Thank you for the kind words and I am glad you are part of the family now.

OP
Jason Snyder
Update on these boots.

In the past I used the factory insole, which is actually a pretty decent insole. However, some foot issues drove me to replace them with the thin Sole cork footbeds with the MET pad. First time wearing them had me pretty skeptical. After a couple of days I love them.

The second outing with these boots was a recent bear hunt. One day was 10 miles and about 9k feet of elevation change. The boots were great and my feet felt relatively good.

The pack out was very steep and heavy. Again, the boots performed like high level boots should. Break in is pretty much complete at this point. I did play around with lacing methods and was able to relieve a pressure point on the front of my ankle while still locking my heel in very firmly. No blisters or hotspots.

IMG_0657.jpegIMG_0751.jpeg