Hoffman Guide Pac Sizing question

gostovp

WKR
I’m interested in some Hoffman pacs. Tried the Double Insulated Guide on at Scheels. Both an 11 and a 12. Was short on time so ended up buying the 11. Hoffman says 1/2 sizes should size up. My Brannock length is just shy of 11 on my left foot ( bigger foot). For other boots I own, depending on the boot I either get an 11 or 11.5…I’ve found euro sizes 44.5 and possibly 45 to fit best. My Cripsi Summits are 11.5, my HanWag Alaska are 11.5 ( i probably could have gotten an 11 here, but the 11.5 work good especially with insoles). My LaCrosse Alpha Burly ( and usually any rubber boot I get) is an 11, waders are an 11, dress shoes are 11’s, Dude shoes 11, slippers 11, but Running shoes I usually go 11.5.

The 12’s in this Hoffman model felt a bit sloppy, got heel lift when walking. The 11’s feel good, but when I double up thick socks maybe a hair snug ( but not ‘tight’ by any means), but no foot sloppy sliding or heel lift. If I try to slam my foot forward in the 11, I can ‘just’ get my toes to bump. The 12’s that didn’t happen but again boot just felt too large. I can take the liner out and my toes are dang near to the end of the liner ( 1/4” room left),

Use Case: would use these for midwest whitetail when it gets colder ( think low teens to high 20’s). But i am a mobile hunter so 1-2 mile hikes in are common with my stand, then setup stand and treestand sits for 4 + hours. Would like to use late season pheasant hunting in the snow. Winter snow blowing, etc. If I ever did a mountain hunt in the snow, would use for that too.

Anyone have any experience on sizing with this model?

Also, should I maybe return and get the Mountaineer? They are supposedly warmer with the felt liner, I just worry about them being too big and heavy and bulky for my intended use.

mnhoundman

Lil-Rokslider
I’m interested in some Hoffman pacs. Tried the Double Insulated Guide on at Scheels. Both an 11 and a 12. Was short on time so ended up buying the 11. Hoffman says 1/2 sizes should size up. My Brannock length is just shy of 11 on my left foot ( bigger foot). For other boots I own, depending on the boot I either get an 11 or 11.5…I’ve found euro sizes 44.5 and possibly 45 to fit best. My Cripsi Summits are 11.5, my HanWag Alaska are 11.5 ( i probably could have gotten an 11 here, but the 11.5 work good especially with insoles). My LaCrosse Alpha Burly ( and usually any rubber boot I get) is an 11, waders are an 11, dress shoes are 11’s, Dude shoes 11, slippers 11, but Running shoes I usually go 11.5.

The 12’s in this Hoffman model felt a bit sloppy, got heel lift when walking. The 11’s feel good, but when I double up thick socks maybe a hair snug ( but not ‘tight’ by any means), but no foot sloppy sliding or heel lift. If I try to slam my foot forward in the 11, I can ‘just’ get my toes to bump. The 12’s that didn’t happen but again boot just felt too large. I can take the liner out and my toes are dang near to the end of the liner ( 1/4” room left),

Use Case: would use these for midwest whitetail when it gets colder ( think low teens to high 20’s). But i am a mobile hunter so 1-2 mile hikes in are common with my stand, then setup stand and treestand sits for 4 + hours. Would like to use late season pheasant hunting in the snow. Winter snow blowing, etc. If I ever did a mountain hunt in the snow, would use for that too.

Anyone have any experience on sizing with this model?

Also, should I maybe return and get the Mountaineer? They are supposedly warmer with the felt liner, I just worry about them being too big and heavy and bulky for my intended use.
I'm in the same boat. I don't have any dealers near by so I'm trying to gather info.
How do the guides feel? Do you think there fairly warm? I usually just wear a mountain hiking boot like kenetrek mountain extreme in 400 gram so I think any pac boots would be warmer, but not sure as I can't try the buggers on

Last edited:

IronM

Lil-Rokslider
I too wear a size 11 in most of my footwear, except running/walking shoes where I need to size up to 11.5. Bought the Hoffman Mountaineer a couple years ago when my Ice Kings wore out. Went with the size 11 (as suggested in their description) and they fit fine, even with a heavier sock. I do a lot of whitetail sits and wanted them for that purpose. For me they seem more comfortable to walk around in than the Ice Kings.

TrailDog

FNG
I wear a partially-corked pair of Hoffman Pacs everyday for work in the winter...spectacular boots! Most of us wear the Thins. Pro-Series w/ predator sole.
I am in-between sizes as well (9.5). I like to order up usually and put in a high quality insole, which takes up the extra space, making the boot fit perfect, and provide arch support. I would recommend ordering up and using inserts to adjust the fit.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
So I ended up going back to scheels, tried the Guide 12’s on again and they were too sloppy. The 11’s were still just a hair small. I thought about it and decided to try on the Mountaineer felt packs in 11…. Way better fit on my feet! So I exchanged the Guides for the Mountaineers. They seemed to be about the same weight on my feet… and they just fit better so more comfortable when walking.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Unfortunately it looks like I won’t be using them for WI’s gun season…
Warm temps in the forecast!

Radford

FNG
Unfortunately I bought a pair of the Hoffman pro thins in size 12 and my foot is a size 11.5. I didn’t read the size recommendation on the site and should have ordered the 13. I wore the boots hoping the liner would compress but never did. Now I’m stuck with a boot I can’t wear.

I am a 12 EE or 12.5 EE in most mountain boots and have my Hoffman Guides in 12. For me they are a little sloppy in the heel area yet a little snug in the toe box with heavy socks. The heel sloppiness doesn’t bother me. Don’t seem to get hot spots or anything due to the slippage between the liner and my sock. But I don’t walk miles in them either because I don’t like how my foot slips forward and jams the front of the boot going downhill. If I had a do over I probably would have sized up and gone with a 13 to accommodate heavier socks for stand hunting. I had originally ordered the mountaineer and sent them back and exchanged for the guides because they were way bulkier than I wanted.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
For reference my size 11.5Wide Hanwag Alaska GTX ( with aftermarket insole) weighs 2.34 lbs per boot and my Crispi Summit 11.5 with factory insole weigh 1.74 lb per boot.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
I’m loving my Mountaineer Pacs! Need more snow in WI so I can put them to test!

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a pair of Hoffman's Pro Series Outback's (with the ankle strap) that I've had for 8 years or so. I ordered direct over the phone, because I had asked for some custom changes, which Hoffman were happy to do.

When I was on the phone with them, they told me the Pro series/thins tend to run narrow, and they have more sizing issues with those than with their other boots. Originally the Pro series lower was made in Finland, so they were made to Euro standard sizes, which are narrower than US sizes (although Euro sizing tends to be more consistent, in my experience). I think the Pro series lower might be US made these days, but I've heard the fit is similar.

@gostvp, do the 11s you have have a 45 or 46 molded into the bottom outsole, under the arch area?

Mine have a 48 in that area. Had I known, I wouldn't have ordered them, as I need a Euro 49 (which usually fits me well). As a result, my Hoffman's are too tight on me.

Other than the fit issues I've had, they've been good boots. That ankle lock strap on the Outback model is great for ankle support, especially with a load on your back. I'd recommend it on any boot from them, which I expect they'd be willing to do if you call them directly. I have the air bob outsole, and the traction and snow/mud clearing is better than other tread types I've had. I went with the tallest uppers they offer, and I had them straight cut for my skinny calves. Overall, the thin profile of the Pro series makes them feel closer to normal boots than most pacs do. I could barely drive a car in my last pair of Sorels, but even a manual is no problem in my Hoffman's.

The downside is they aren't warm boots. Certainly not compared to other pac boots, but not even compared to other boots. For me, a lot of that is due to the tight fit issues I have. I'm in MN, and for ice fishing my feet stay warmer with thick wool socks in the uninsulated White's Smokejumpers I wear every day (which to be fair are custom fitted/made to measure) than they do with thin wool socks in my Hoffman's with the 400g Thinsulate liners.

My Hoffman's are a great boot for MN's firearm whitetail season (which is earlier in Nov than WI's). When the air is 20-40°F and mud, ice, water or snow are all equally likely, I still think they're the best choice. I think the answer is the same for WI's season.

Mine were insufficient for a late season mountain rifle hunt in MT, but again they're too tight for me.

When it's really cold, cold enough to be reliably "cold dry", pac boots aren't the best choice. Steger mukluks are the answer then.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
My boots don’t have a euro sizing stamp on the bottom of the sole