Hoffman Mountaineer Pac Boot - REVIEW IS UP!

Thanks for the review of the Mountaineers. Will be ordering soon. So is there a Rokslide Discount?
I also spoke to Hoffman a few weeks ago, what a great experience. I’m planning on waiting till they can add the ankle support to the mountaineer. Was told when they aren’t so busy, that it can be added. I think that would be a great upgrade.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the review of the Mountaineers. Will be ordering soon. So is there a Rokslide Discount?
I also spoke to Hoffman a few weeks ago, what a great experience. I’m planning on waiting till they can add the ankle support to the mountaineer. Was told when they aren’t so busy, that it can be added. I think that would be a great upgrade.
yes, it's in their banner in first post of every thread page

Trooper

FNG
Sooo...I am agonizing over pacs vs the insulated Explorer for a back country Colorado second season rifle elk hunt. I already use the uninsulated explorers for... well... everything! I love them. But I think it may be too cold for the uninsulated on this hunt, and I hate how it is basically impossible to dry insulated non-liner boots in a tent. Here’s the thing though... we tend to hike quite a bit. What say you, oh Gods of Rokskide, pacs or mountain boots?

SteepandDeep

Lil-Rokslider
Sooo...I am agonizing over pacs vs the insulated Explorer for a back country Colorado second season rifle elk hunt. I already use the uninsulated explorers for... well... everything! I love them. But I think it may be too cold for the uninsulated on this hunt, and I hate how it is basically impossible to dry insulated non-liner boots in a tent. Here’s the thing though... we tend to hike quite a bit. What say you, oh Gods of Rokskide, pacs or mountain boots?
I hike a lot in mine; rain, snow and steep. I’d suggest the outback straps be added.

Hoffman Boots

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I believe so but the thinsulate looks and feels like a felt liner, I have 200 and 400 liners but just used the 400.
This is correct - the 9mm felt will be warmer and the thinsulate models will be a little less bulky,.

winny94

FNG
It seems to be a company policy to not recommend temp ranges (understandibly so), but if my priority was ultimate warmth for seditary hunts in uber cold temps (0 to -15), and I didn't care about weight, move very little, is the Mountaineer what I'm looking for? Is that appropriate for those temps, or am I asking too much? (I'm a bit of a pansy regarding cold feet).

My experience with cold weather boots is pick whatever had the highest thinsulate number from the shelf in the basement, so the idea of a felt liner is completely foreign to me.

If anyone made it to this point, can you also share your opinion on shank height? Again, like my insulation, I have never gave 2 thoughts on shank height. Seems 14 would be best in deep snow with the trade-off being long laces, time to put on, etc and vice versa for the 10 with 12 being a bit of both - anything I'm missing? Does one lend itself better to more warmth?

SteepandDeep

Lil-Rokslider
It seems to be a company policy to not recommend temp ranges (understandibly so), but if my priority was ultimate warmth for seditary hunts in uber cold temps (0 to -15), and I didn't care about weight, move very little, is the Mountaineer what I'm looking for? Is that appropriate for those temps, or am I asking too much? (I'm a bit of a pansy regarding cold feet).

My experience with cold weather boots is pick whatever had the highest thinsulate number from the shelf in the basement, so the idea of a felt liner is completely foreign to me.

If anyone made it to this point, can you also share your opinion on shank height? Again, like my insulation, I have never gave 2 thoughts on shank height. Seems 14 would be best in deep snow with the trade-off being long laces, time to put on, etc and vice versa for the 10 with 12 being a bit of both - anything I'm missing? Does one lend itself better to more warmth?

I think a quick phone call will answer your questions pretty quick. Those answers will likely come from someone that actually builds the boots; not a salesperson.

Hoffman Boots

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor

Our warmest pac is the Mountaineer boot. The biggest difference is the liner. The 9mm felt liner just retains heat much better than thinsulate will if you are not moving much. If you have ever worn a boot with thinsulate, you will notice it is a good insulator while being active but not so great when sitting still. We don't use insulation ratings because there are so many variables when it comes to the individual themselves.....Example, sock weight and type, individuals tolerance of cold, circulation, activity, etc. The height of the boot is personal preference but we can built you a boot in either a 10", 12" or 14" upper.

Hoffman Boots

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
@HoffmanBoots can you talk to me about insulation? I have some 400 gram thinsulate rubber boots. I find them plenty warm when moving (sometimes too warm), as my feet do not get cold easily, but if I use them in a tree and it is 30 degrees or less out, I will get cold in the toes. Should I expect the same with the pac boots? The rubber boot is Cabelas, and I suspect there is not much going in the insulation department in the sole area, but I could be wrong.

Also, does thinsulate offer better performance when it comes to walking compared to felt? And is the thinsulate 200 and 400 gram insulation interchangeable in the same boot size?

I almost pulled the trigger today on one of your boots. The shipping charges and taxes gave me pause. I may need to drive to Kellogg one day when I am back to Montana or wait for a sale. I really like the looks of your pac boots.

Pete
Sorry for the late response. If you are doing a lot of tree hunting, I would look at the Mountaineer. It is the boot I use when in the stand for the late hunt. If shipping to Montana, there should be no Tax.

carbon

FNG
Here’s a general question about how to deal with very tall pac boots and bibs/pants. I have had lower pac boots, like an ancient Canadian-made pair of Sorels. Those finally wore out after 30 years.

Now I have a pair of Baffin Impacts (shown below) and my goretex bibs won’t go around the outside of these massive, super tall boots. I have to scrunch the bibs up to fit under the built in gaiter, and if I tuck them down into the boot it hurts my shins when I walk.

For the same reason, I also can’t tuck the pants I wear under the bibs inside the boots. Everything is hiked up.

This is for a high snow application. Slow movement, very cold weather.

My old Sorels had the same issue but it wasn’t as problematic because they weren’t as tall.

Could get low boots and wear tall gaiters, but not much is going to be as warm as these Baffins. Or I could trim up some interior pants and the bibs to fit a bit below my knee. Or do the trimming just on the interior pants and buy comically huge bibs so they go outside of the boots (maybe ice-fishing bibs do this?).

Anyway, tips are appreciated.

A5070099-3906-4D17-9DB5-A4A4C0B8731B.jpeg