Hoffman Mountaineer Pac Boot - REVIEW IS UP!

SteepandDeep

Lil-Rokslider
From an email I sent a few days ago asking about adding warmth:

Felt liners will be the warmest liner - unfortunately they will not fit in a rubber bottom designed for thinsulate liners.

According to their list, the mountaineer is the warmest pac they have and has a shank so more support but makes it heavier.

as.ks.ak

WKR
I just started looking at these, I’m anxious to hear more from you as the winter progresses!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did a mad dash over to my Dad's N Eastern WA deer camp. I didn't have time to make it worth buying an out state license but I did spend some time hiking around with my Dad. I was pleasantly surprised how well the Pac Boot felt hiking up and down hills. Obviously not the full support a good leather boot provides, but better than I expected. Feet got pretty warm moving around, but not overly warm. It was when we stopped and glassed that the boots truly shined. I hate cold feet... No cold feet in these bad boys! Hoping to get my son out again before Idaho's done for the year, and you can bet my Hoffmans are coming with me!!

critrgitr

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a pair of the Hoffman Outback with the extra ankle stabilizer strap for my fall hunts this year and have been very impressed. My feet stayed warmer with the 200 gram thinsulate liners than in my Asolo boots with 200 grams insulation. With the extra stabilizer strap I never felt that I needed more ankle support. I am definitly happy with my decision to go back to a pac boot for late season hunts. There were several days with the temps down in the low teens and I never felt the need to try the 400 gram liners with a good pair of socks on.

They are a great company to work with as well. A buddy had them add the ankle stabilizer strap on a different model than the outback and they were more than happy to do so. I would highly recommend a pair of Hoffman Boots to anyone needing a well built late season boot.

BigWoods

WKR
I've had my Hoffman Thinsulate Pro Series (14") since late last January. Wore them plenty last winter breaking them in (which takes some time), but they have really been put to use this past month during rifle deer season.

In the past month I've logged over 70 miles on the boots, mostly doing New England deer tracking, and they have been phenomenal. That doesn't include the many days of archery hunting before and just routine dog walks. Even without the added ankle straps, they lock my foot in. Long days mean the leather has molded beautifully around my feet. They got comfortable after a few weeks initially, but reached a whole new level of comfort recently. These things are extremely comfortable and lock my heel down. Several days were pushing 2000' of climbing with no blisters to show for it; just happy feet. The claw lug sole grips with authority in the steep.
20201103_132155.jpg
Now I'm seriously considering another 10" pair to be slightly lighter, easier to get on, used for fatbiking and just general winter goodness. Debating between the Guide and Stomper, if anyone has some input there.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've had my Hoffman Thinsulate Pro Series (14") since late last January. Wore them plenty last winter breaking them in (which takes some time), but they have really been put to use this past month during rifle deer season.

In the past month I've logged over 70 miles on the boots, mostly doing New England deer tracking, and they have been phenomenal. That doesn't include the many days of archery hunting before and just routine dog walks. Even without the added ankle straps, they lock my foot in. Long days mean the leather has molded beautifully around my feet. They got comfortable after a few weeks initially, but reached a whole new level of comfort recently. These things are extremely comfortable and lock my heel down. Several days were pushing 2000' of climbing with no blisters to show for it; just happy feet. The claw lug sole grips with authority in the steep.
View attachment 242722
Now I'm seriously considering another 10" pair to be slightly lighter, easier to get on, used for fatbiking and just general winter goodness. Debating between the Guide and Stomper, if anyone has some input there.
Thanks for the feedback.

I've ran the tall and short heights in another brand and prefer the shorter, lighter boot, then gator up if I'm in really deep snow.

peterk123

WKR
What is the major difference between a Hoffman pac boot and a Schnees? Schnees is quite a bit more expensive. Wondering what differs in the construction warranting the price difference. Thx

HoffmanBoots

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Great question. Both of us make our uppers here in the USA ...... the only 2 companies doing this. We use a bit heavier leather, 7 -7 1/2 oz. oil tanned leather vs. a 6 - 6 1/2 oil tanned leather. Both of us use the same type of liners, a thinsulate / wool / Cambrelle blend although we do offer some pacs with 9mm wool/felt for those looking for additional warmth. We both have our own traction designs and our rubber bottoms are built in the same factory. These boots are very similar in quality and are 2 of the best out there. I can only say this, at Hoffman's, we are a 4th generation family owned business that have been building pac boot since my dad started doing this in 1973. We don't spend a lot on advertising letting word of mouth be the growth engine for our company. This allows us to help keep our pricing down.
Merry Christmas all.
Hoffman's

peterk123

WKR
@HoffmanBoots can you talk to me about insulation? I have some 400 gram thinsulate rubber boots. I find them plenty warm when moving (sometimes too warm), as my feet do not get cold easily, but if I use them in a tree and it is 30 degrees or less out, I will get cold in the toes. Should I expect the same with the pac boots? The rubber boot is Cabelas, and I suspect there is not much going in the insulation department in the sole area, but I could be wrong.

Also, does thinsulate offer better performance when it comes to walking compared to felt? And is the thinsulate 200 and 400 gram insulation interchangeable in the same boot size?

I almost pulled the trigger today on one of your boots. The shipping charges and taxes gave me pause. I may need to drive to Kellogg one day when I am back to Montana or wait for a sale. I really like the looks of your pac boots.

Pete

Does Hoffman still have a Rokslide discount?

Rokslide15, ROKSLIDE15, rokslide15 are all expired.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
The review is up, with cold weather heading to N Idaho I am sure glad I have a pair of Hoffman's!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The review is up, with cold weather heading to N Idaho I am sure glad I have a pair of Hoffman's!
nice work Matt. I thought it was strange that you found Idaho colder than Alaska but only shows how little I know about Alaska.

@and thanks @BigWoods for letting us include your experiences in the review

I purchased the "Thins" Pro Series at the beginning of the season. So very pleased with my boots. I run a 12 size shoe. So my feet take up a ton of real-estate when walking. And Pacs get heavy quickly. I purchased the 14" talls and other than the 8 feet of laces associated with strapping them on....find them outstanding. The Air Bob type sole really appealed to me and were perfect for light snow over wet vegetation. Very easy to do several miles in these boots.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
nice work Matt. I thought it was strange that you found Idaho colder than Alaska but only shows how little I know about Alaska.

@and thanks @BigWoods for letting us include your experiences in the review
Well to be fair most of my hunting in Alaska was in August. A few of my September hunts did get cold, but October / November hunts in N Idaho can get real cold! :)
@Matt W. almost looks like you brought a Drahthaar with you
@Jesse Jaymes He is a Pudelpointer. Amazing dog. :)