Hoffman Mountaineer Pac Boot - REVIEW IS UP!

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
REVIEW is up: https://www.rokslide.com/hoffman-mountaineer-boot-review/

Big-Woods.jpg

The preview to the review is below.
Rokslide prides itself on REAL gear reviews. As such this is a gear review preview, as I don't feel I have enough data to do a Rokslide quality review at this time. I will update this thread as time in the boots provide better data.

On to the preview!

Living in Idaho I had to go check out Hoffmans and dive into their pac boots. As a new transplant to the area, it is ironic to note I will be hunting in colder weather here than I ever did in Alaska. August sheep hunts and September Moose / Caribou hunts just are not as cold as October + Idaho pursuits.

I drove over to Hoffmans and Jim was nice enough to give me a tour of the factory. Impressive place! They employ locals, and while they may source some foreign parts, the boots are assembled right here in Idaho.

I am 9 1/2 in about every boot I wear, and I have a narrow foot. I tried quite a few different variations of their pac boots (and man do they have a few!). In the end two pac boots fit me the best, both in a size 9 shell. The Cowboy and the Mountaineer.
https://www.hoffmanboots.com/double-insulated-hoffman-mountaineer
https://www.hoffmanboots.com/cowboy-packer
I much preferred the felt liner on each of these vs. the Thinsulate as the felt wrapped my feet better. (You have the option of a felt liner, a 200gr Thinsulate, or a 400gr Thinsulate)

I understand that the felt will compress some, but it seemed to fit me best. Jim was pretty helpful guiding me through the process. In the end I went with the Mountaineer as it is their warmest boot and I wanted something for Idaho winter predator hunting, and late season still hunts. Not only does the liner provide insulation, but the rubber shell itself contains 200 grs of insulation.

Idaho's winter did not provide as much as a testing ground as I had hoped. Plans changed, weather changes, the works.. However, I did wear them quite a bit out training the dog in the cold, and working in the cold, during some of our January storms.

As I mentioned, at this point I don't have enough time in them to do a Rokslide quality review, but do have some initial impressions.

1) Quality - They just seem well built, with great attention to detail.
2) Durability - while I don't have the time to validate this I do work in the telecom industry and the guys in my crews wear the Lineman Pacs.
The abuse these boots take is a testament to their durability, and my observations have me pretty dang confident durability is not going to be a problem with these pacs!!

I will update this thread and create a more detailed review as time in the boots evolve. Additionally, I will incorporate some feedback from Hoffman in regards to pac boot maintenance. When I received mine, I treated them before I used them with Obenaufs.. If you have questions, please post them up and I will do my best to add that to the final product.

20191212_132508.jpg
Hoffman Headquarters

20191212_132456.jpg
Hoffman Boot Display

20191219_044950.jpg
Mountaineers in hand!

20191219_055016.jpg20191223_161601.jpg
Boots all treated up with a little Obenaufs leather preservative

20191229_211014.jpg
Working the dog down at the river on a cold day here in North Idaho

20200111_161328.jpg
Some training in the foothills.

#FearTheBeard #Pudlelpointer #NAVHDA

Last edited:
I was looking at these too! So would you say to order in a half size smaller? I too have narrow feet in a size 9.5.

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
I wear an 11 in US made boots, ordered a 12 and an 11 and sent the 12 back. I think it all depends on the individual's foot. Hoffman's customer service is top notch so no worries there, they're also super helpful with indecisive annoyances like me.

brsnow

WKR
I just received guide pac with thinsulate 200 , ordered size 11 after calling them. I wear an 11 and they fit with little room. I tend to wear compression socks/light wool, so I hope it works. Quality is great

MSmiley

FNG
I went up a half size. There is definitely room for thicker insulation and heavy socks.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just bumping this back up to the top. Really didn't have a cold enough winter to get enough beta to do a solid review on these; so here is to hoping for a chance to wrap it up this fall. If guys are looking for a pac boot, I recommend you at least ad these to your short list. I work in Telecom and I have seen these boots take a beating as more than a few guys on my crews are wearing them. Looking forward to testing them further, but am happy to enjoy the summer for now. : )

SteepandDeep

Lil-Rokslider
Just bumping this back up to the top. Really didn't have a cold enough winter to get enough beta to do a solid review on these; so here is to hoping for a chance to wrap it up this fall. If guys are looking for a pac boot, I recommend you at least ad these to your short list. I work in Telecom and I have seen these boots take a beating as more than a few guys on my crews are wearing them. Looking forward to testing them further, but am happy to enjoy the summer for now. : )
I’m in the same industry and my Hoffman’s pull double duty for work and the mountains. With this winter’s projected weather, I have a feeling you’ll have plenty of testing opportunities 👍🏻

Voyageur

WKR
Thanks for bumping this thread. I missed it the first time around. I'm planning on stopping at Hoffman's this spring on my way through town and checking out the Mountaineers as my 20 year old LaCrosse Iceman pacs are nearing the end of the line. Looking forward to your updates...

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most recently I spent the weekend standing on the sidelines for my son's soccer tournament. While there wasn't much snow, it was certainly cool and I was the one guy standing there with toasty warm feet! :) Snow is falling today!

Voyageur

WKR
@tdhanses The way I am reading their website the difference between the guide and the Mountaineer is the guide has a thinsulate liner and the Mountaineer has a felt liner. Am I correct?

tdhanses

WKR
@tdhanses The way I am reading their website the difference between the guide and the Mountaineer is the guide has a thinsulate liner and the Mountaineer has a felt liner. Am I correct?
I believe so but the thinsulate looks and feels like a felt liner, I have 200 and 400 liners but just used the 400.

brsnow

WKR
I believe so but the thinsulate looks and feels like a felt liner, I have 200 and 400 liners but just used the 400.
How much thinker is the 400? Does it take up significant space compared to 200? Thank you